FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Great Gas War

Soulfire
So, what's cheap gas to you? I'm guessing it is in the $1.50 area. That seems cheap enough to me, considering gas prices around my area are around $2.75 now. How can we lower the prices? Believe it or not, we can.

Obviously we can't just stop buying gas, because we all need it. What happens, is we stop buying gas from the biggest oil companies Exxon and Mobil (now one, I believe).

With fewer buyers, supply and demand will take control. The supply will go up and demand will drop, which means that they will have to drop their prices to get costumers. As they drop their prices, other companies will have to follow (otherwise they would get much less business). This, in essence, has a domino effect.

Gas prices will decline, if we can manage to do this.

Show them that the buyers, not the sellers, control the market.

(General message summed up from a recently received e-mail, in theory this idea would work).
Yazz
Not in the real world, it wont.

Hardly anyone would be steadfast enough to be relied upon (especially in mass numbers) to go on a gas binge from those companies.

It's not like boycotting a product. Even if we stop buying gas from those companies, other companies are still using that gas to have other products shipped around. So in essence, we're not the only people using this gas, we're just a percentage. And if we all decided to stop using their gas (realistically, which means all subtracting people who don't actually do it) then it'll make a tiny scratch, but they'll probably just keep rolling along, or even decide to knock the price up slightly so that other companies who use the gas would end up compensating for their losses from the minority of people who stopped using it.

Just my random rambling thoughts, don't read too far into it, but consider it anyways.
Blaster
No one can stop ever buying gas. Yes around where i live it is that expensive too. The thing is that people are too lazy. If they need to go to there neighbors they may even drive. We drive to much and that is the problem.

So gas prices are not going to fall anytime soon. It is a way of life now. Let just hope we don't hit $3 a gallon.
mOrpheuS
Blaster wrote:
No one can stop ever buying gas. Yes around where i live it is that expensive too. The thing is that people are too lazy. If they need to go to there neighbors they may even drive. We drive to much and that is the problem.

So gas prices are not going to fall anytime soon. It is a way of life now. Let just hope we don't hit $3 a gallon.

$3/gallon sounds too high ? Shocked
I can't believe people are actually complaining about a price of $3/gallon.

Do the Americans know that their petrol prices are one of the lowest amongst all oil importing nations ?
In terms of oil abundance, being in America is almost as good as being in the middle-east. Wink Laughing

At my place, for example, petrol costs $4.5/gallon ... and this is a place where the average person earns 1/10 of what he'd in USA. Shocked

Not surprisingly, the only people who can afford to buy and drive a car here, have $5000 cars which do better than 50 miles/gallon.
I only have a rough idea about the fuel efficiency of American cars, and it's nowhere near that.

Also USA has more than 500 cars per 1000 population.
There are less than 3 cars per 1000 population where I live.

And no 16 year old owns a car here. Rolling Eyes

Oh I wish we had as much oil as America somehow does.
coolclay
If your country spent as much time and energy as we do making pals in the middle east. Then you would have lots of cheap gas too. We are friends with Saudi Arabia, the largest oil producing country, and now recently we have installed new "friendly" governments in Afghanistan, and Iraq. That means more cheap gas for us, yea!! And people think the war in Afghanistan and Iraq is bad.
Blaster
mOrpheuS I get what you are saying. We dont' have it that bad I guess. But when you think about it ameicans use our gas more. We use it for nonsense stuff.

Thank god for hybrid cars. If it wasn't for them everyone would be hurting Confused
ocalhoun
mOrpheuS wrote:

Not surprisingly, the only people who can afford to buy and drive a car here, have $5000 cars which do better than 50 miles/gallon.
I only have a rough idea about the fuel efficiency of American cars, and it's nowhere near that.

It probably averages at about 27mpg.
For me: 14.5mpg, but I used to have a small car that got 35mpg.
That way, we probably spend about the same amount on gas by spending half as much on twice as much gas.
bluedragon
I live in Northern California and gas is around an average $2.75 per gallon. I consider $2.00 per gallon to be cheap. My car drives at about 30mpg and it's a 2001 Ford Focus. Does me well. Smile

But I think the ultimate solution to gas prices is a more longterm solution such as finding more efficient alternative fuels. Yet, we're fossil fuel crazy humans who will stop at nothing to glutton ourselves on Earth's resources until we end up killing everything.

Yup.
Ray Gravin
Yeah Gas prices stink : (

I try to walk or ride my bike when ever possible. I was without a car all winter due to some mechanical problems. I took advantage of the opertunity to get a little excersise by riding my bike to work. I must say its worked wonders for my legs : ) I feel so much better now. I will say that grocery shopping without a car is a bother. Thank God my best freind Terry gave my his old army pack a few years back : ) and that it was a really REALLY mild winter down here in south carolina this year!

It really botherd me this spring that when I finnaly got my car back on the road gas prices started to go up again : ( I guess it will motivate me to not use my car for trivial trips that I could accomplish through cheaper and healther means. I will have to use it to get groceries this summer though : ( It gets hot as hell down here in the summer!
Omega_Squid
Crying or Very sad also, you have to take in fact that some middle-eastern oil-producers also try to take advantage of large oil consuming contries like here in the US by restricting their oil production, and jacking up their prices. I cant wait until the day when America has its own massive alternative energy source, and we tell those oil-exporters to stuff it: WE DONT NEED YOUR OIL ANYMORE! I believe that America will find a way, as you cant stop human ingenuity and perserverance! Very Happy
cfackler
Gas has just hit $2.75 a gallon where I live. Prices have been climbing steadily, however. I can't wait for the $3 mark. </sarcasm> I guess I'll have to try different ways of transportation, not involving gasoline.
narc
Why don't we buck up and make this a priority then, and actually vote for a president who cares about the environment.

Next time you go to the polls, think about what really matters to you. If it is gas prices, then vote green. If it is... holy crap I can't think of a single reason to vote republican anymore.
Blaster
Yea i hate elephets too. They don't think about what the americans want they only are there for the money. Wink