FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Looking for a free HTML editor with built-in preview

SNES350
(topic)

The one in cPanel is messing up some of my code, so I've had to do my homepage HTML file using notepad, then uploading it. I want something where I can at least preview the final appearance, and not touch my code.
Texas Al
Oh yeah, I tried the cPanel WYSIWYG editor too once, and it seriously blows. If you need a good free HTML editor, try Nvu. Although, if you're serious about keeping your site up to date, you'll probably want some kind of blog, which means that either you won't be doing any coding at all (if you just use it straight out of the box) or you'll be doing PHP and CSS coding (if you decide to customize it) and once you're coding PHP or CSS you might as well use a good text editor because all the WYSIWYG CSS and PHP editors suck (though Nvu does have a CSS editor, and maybe a PHP editor, don't remember... but I do remember that everything but HTML in the Nvu editor sucks, just less so than other products.

Long story short, use Nvu. Good luck!
prithvi
Check out some of these.......all free apps.
Hope u find something useful.

http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/HTML_freeware/
snowboardalliance
HTML-Kit

It's not WYSIWYG though, but it's awesome.

[edit]Why was this bumped??? oh well, I no longer use this software and wouldn't recommend it because the free version is no longer developed...
SNES350
snowboardalliance wrote:
HTML-Kit

It's not WYSIWYG though, but it's awesome

I'll try that-I don't actually want WYSIWYG, I just want to preview my code with as little hassle as possible- I will be doing the HTML code manually. I want it for static pages I am making-ones I will not update very often after they are done. I have a blog page setup on my site for something different too.
Texas Al
[quote="SNES350"]
snowboardalliance wrote:
HTML-Kit
I'll try that-I don't actually want WYSIWYG, I just want to preview my code with as little hassle as possible- I will be doing the HTML code manually. I want it for static pages I am making-ones I will not update very often after they are done. I have a blog page setup on my site for something different too.

Well, in that case, what's wrong with just having your page open in a browser window, editing the HTML in any text editor you want, and hitting F5 on your keyboard to refresh the browser window when you want to see how the changes you made look (remember to save)?
Phil
Html Kit does have a pretty nifty preview tab. I find it indispensable when making a site. One click and it gives you a pretty good idea of what your page will look like...... though you'd probley want to check it in Mozilla and Explorer...... which is possible in HTML Kit.
snowboardalliance
Phil wrote:
Html Kit does have a pretty nifty preview tab. I find it indispensable when making a site. One click and it gives you a pretty good idea of what your page will look like...... though you'd probley want to check it in Mozilla and Explorer...... which is possible in HTML Kit.

Yeah, Mozilla Preview is a little confusing though, because you need to install some ActiveX thing, I figured that out though.

The other thing about HTML-Kit is there are so many plug-ins that the program can do anything
meangurl
how about webcoder 5... you write the codes and you can preview them without saving it or whatever...

you can download it here: http://www.tsware.net/software.php?gid=1#download
Phil
How is Webcoder? I actually downloaded it but never got into it. Seems I have to download a seperate file to get some function to work.

That's the problem with all these free editors. There are hundreds of them and each one has it good points and bad points.
Texas Al
I still don't get it. What's the point of preview?

It's not as if the preview will perfectly replicate all the quirks of either IE or FireFox, so why not just use those two as your 'preview'.
Phil
Quote:
I still don't get it. What's the point of preview?

It's not as if the preview will perfectly replicate all the quirks of either IE or FireFox, so why not just use those two as your 'preview'.

I guess it's all personal preferance. I find the preview function quick and easy, I don't have to open 1 or more windows for my browser.
I use it just for general stuff, postioning of things mostly. After which I check it out in Explorer or Mozilla.
Texas Al
So you're opening a tab within your HTML editor instead of a separate window. And then later on you're checking it with a web browser anyway... ?

To each their own, I guess. Just seems like an extra step. Smile
kutekitten
lol, a preview is great for positioning things, and making sure everything comes together like it should. It's nice for testing out what a new piece of code looks like without actually altering your website... It's not really an extra step if you have to continually change your website and test it out, it's faster, and there are immediate results.
Nemesis234
kutekitten wrote:
lol, a preview is great for positioning things, and making sure everything comes together like it should. It's nice for testing out what a new piece of code looks like without actually altering your website... It's not really an extra step if you have to continually change your website and test it out, it's faster, and there are immediate results.

awesome work bumping a 5 year old thread and not really adding anything of note.
kutekitten
Nemesis234 wrote:
kutekitten wrote:

awesome work bumping a 5 year old thread and not really adding anything of note.

lol, hey, maybe someone else will get something out of it being bumped... Very Happy I'm starting to look for different places to place my opinion on here... Razz
fladry
NVU works fine for me. The better part is that it is totally free and i can also take it in my flash drive.
rocket-dan
I've always been a fan of Notepad+.
tamilparks
net object fusion is also a very good editor
Cheeldash
You can also install apache and then go on localhost with your browser, this way you can test easily different browsers and you can work offline too. On linux you have all you need listed in the package manager.
ankur2010
Just google out for this free HTML Editor.
Truely a great freeware.

"KOMPOZER"....!! Razz