FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Defragmentor

loosu
Is it possible to gain EFFIENCY & PERFORMANCE , using defragmentor in LINUX ....

I heard , LINUX doesnt need a Defragmentor , as its filesystem is such ,,, designed ,

Please , give me a comment , and recommend me the Best Defragmentor , for LINUX ...

I use Slackware 10.1
thiamshui
Linux filesystems defragment themselves automatically: human intervention isn't needed. They are designed to do so.. But to make it work properly, you do need to be sure that you keep some empty space (about 20%) on your partitions. The command "df -h" should tell you how much space is being used.
Tex_Arcana
Very Happy I know that when I first switched over to Linux from XP I found it hard to believe that yes there is an OS that doesn't require constantly running defragmenters, malware scanners, virus scanners and all the other little things that will keep a computer running well and predictably. Heck, I was even shocked the first time a program crashed with out taking the entire OS with it like some kind of software hostage situation.

I'm thinking the reason they keep pushing back the release of Longhorn/Vista is because Linux keeps getting better and easier to use. For once they might be worried that if they turn out another crappy OS they might be losing their user base.
ocalhoun
It really is true. No defraging in linux! Dancing
I'm wondering how long it will take for a version of windows to incorporate rieserfs.
budazz
i never heard this about linux but this is good compare to windows no more defragmenting issue Smile
Slick
image if microsoft try to incorperate an automatic defrag system, the machine to run windows would need to be revolutionary!

i absolutly dread the release of a new microsoft OS, and its rediculous system requirments just for the OS!
sircrojicek
We should thank microsoft for keep reminding us everyday words like virus, defragment, malware and many others...
Shirish
well does anyone know how such system is bulit

I mean how come Linux needs no defragmentation

either it defragments itself or it neds no such thing as its filesystem must support somthing terrible to support such thing.

Please make this point clear.

Anyone?