FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

linux with xp

kv
I have XP (Home edition) running on my m/c and I want to install linux (fedora) on a separate ext2 partition. I am worried about the bootloader. I don't want to use linux bootloader and don't want to touch XP bootloader or MBR. Can I add an option to XP bootloader (boot.ini??) so that it allows me to boot into linux?
djclue917
What is wrong with using a bootloader supplied by a Linux distro. In my humble opinion, bootloaders such as GRUB or LILO are far better than Windows' bootloader. Don't be afraid to "touch" your MBR because nothing would really go wrong. It's not like your Windows installation could be damaged or whatever. Just use Fedora's bootloader. Ok? Wink
ashok
as far as i know, u dont have such an option.. bcoz linux bootloader can read the information on fat/ntfs discs where as windows cant do it from ext partitions..
kv
djclue917 wrote:
What is wrong with using a bootloader supplied by a Linux distro. In my humble opinion, bootloaders such as GRUB or LILO are far better than Windows' bootloader. Don't be afraid to "touch" your MBR because nothing would really go wrong. It's not like your Windows installation could be damaged or whatever. Just use Fedora's bootloader. Ok? Wink

I was very clear stating my problem. I don't need any convincing to use fedora bootloader, whether it is good or bad. I want to know if there is a way I could use xp bootloader to load linux. EOS.
mOrpheuS
kv wrote:
I was very clear stating my problem. I don't need any convincing to use fedora bootloader, whether it is good or bad. I want to know if there is a way I could use xp bootloader to load linux. EOS.

Yes, that's indeed possible.
You can use the XP boot-loader to manage your Win-Linux dualboot.
(As I'm doing on my own PC at home Wink )

Do you already have Linux installed, or are you about to install it ?
The procedure to go about doing dual boot with XP bootloader differs for these two scenarios.
kv
Glad to know it is possible Smile

I haven't installed linux yet. I am about to install it.
mOrpheuS
kv wrote:
Glad to know it is possible Smile

I haven't installed linux yet. I am about to install it.

Oh fortunately ... it's much easier then. Wink

I've made the instructions into a short tutorial - http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-33598.html

Hope you find it useful.
kv
Thanks a lot. But I did not understand why only 512 bytes.
mOrpheuS
kv wrote:
Thanks a lot. But I did not understand why only 512 bytes.

I think I'll just quote the guys at Acronis, they know much more about disks that I do :

Quote:
Boot record is a start-up program stored in first 512 bytes of hard disk partition, floppy disk or similar data storage device.

http://www.acronis.com/glossary/partitioning/boot-record

the "dd" command basically copies the data stream from the linux partition to a file ... and we only need the first 512 bytes of it. Wink
Helios
Better use LILO or GRUB(I prefer GRUB).
It'll be easier for you to uninstall them after you'll get tired of linux,
kv
Helios wrote:

See my post in reply to djclue917.
Helios wrote:

Well, I have been using linux for years and haven't got tired yet. And I don't have any plans to uninstall it. When XP boot loader is used, restoring original boot state is much more easier since it involves removing one line from boot.ini.
KHO
Helios wrote:
Neutral Grub destroyed my bootloader Neutral. Now that l know of a way to use the windows bootloader. l may try linux again, so long as my boot is safe.
abhinav_shah
I think you should install grub as your boot loader. What is the problem , that you don't want to install grub and touch your MBR ?

Abhinav
Bones
I'm kind of curious as well, since even if the MBR gets toasted, it's quite easy to boot to XP recovery console and fun the command fixmbr which will re-write the master boot record.

Anytime I have used linux I preferred LILO since it was easy to use and I never had any trouble with it, although I must say, I didn't know that you could use the boot.ini.
Bones
After reading this thread, I decided to start playing with Linux again (SuSE 10 actually), and have been having a lot of problems with GRUB, so I will be trying this tutorial to see if it works for me.

To say one boot loader is better than another is kind of stupid really, all it does is point to the os..who cares which one people use?
kv
abhinav_shah wrote:
I think you should install grub as your boot loader. What is the problem , that you don't want to install grub and touch your MBR ?

Abhinav

I don't understand why people keep asking these questions. The reasons are irrelevent. I might be doing the installation for a friend who is scared to touch MBR. I might be playing with a branded system which came with XP and the vendor might stop support if I tamper the system. I might be installing it on college comp where my psycho lecturer is scared to touch MBR. There might be number of reasons why people want to go for XP bootloader when an (perhaps better or very good) alternative is available. I had stated my problem clearly. I *don't* want to touch MBR. I *don't* want to use other bootloaders. I *want* to use XP bootloader.

I got the answer, thanks to mOrpheuS. But..
Bones
I think that the people were just curious, since the MBR is so easy to repair. Even if you totally pooch the MBR you can boot to XP recovery console and run fixmbr which will rewrite it..followed by fixboot to rewrite the boot sector if it's really really broken.

Personally, I don't think there is a "better" bootloader, they all do the same thing..but I will say that in general, for dual booting linux, grub and lilo are generally easier to use than boot.ini, although I am glad you asked the question, as now I know another way to dual boot linux Smile

Also...just a note for OEM owners..most OEMs will cease support the minute you install another OS...touching the MBR or not..I have even seen emails sent to customers of mine where Sony refused support after they upgraded from XP home to XP Pro hence the reason I would never buy OEM..actually, I had a customer today that eMachines refused to support citing that the system had been modified...well, it was modified..by eMachines! She had blown a motherboard, which they replaced under warranty, and then refused her support based on the modifications they had made...nice huh. Most OEM warranties arent worth the paper they are printed on
varun_dodla
I use dual operating system environment on my Pentium III system with Windows XP Professional and Red Hat Linux 9. The grub loader which comes with rh9 is easy to use and gives no problems. Also easily removable from DOS by using the

fdisk /mbr option....so you can try this configuration.
bvebve
I think both solutions are quite equal but if you are installing linux for the first time then you should be ready for further reinstalations, so I think is not a good idea to install a linux boot loader (Grub or Lilo).

There are solutions, like the Acronis one, to boot another Operations Sistem using the NTLDR from XP.