FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

xp with fedora 4

manumiglani
Hello,

I have some questions ?

1) can i install windows xp with redhat's fedora 4 ?

2) do i have to install fedora 4 first in c drive and then windows xp in d drive ?

3) how much space is needed in a drive to install fedora 4 ?

4) does it degrade or have a bad effect on my computer's hardware if i use fedora 4 with windows xp ?

Thanks a LOT!!!!!
{name here}
Hi, I see you're new to linux. I'll answer these as best as I can.
1: Yes
2: It's way different than you think. The 3 partitions that Fedora creates will not be visible to windows, nor can you make them visible to windows with out destroying fedora.
3: I'd reccomend 4-5 GB or so if you're going to install a desktop system with minimal space. I'd say you should split the hard drive in half if you have more than 20 GB.
4: No. I run a different OS every week without an adverse effect. At most I have 3 OSes at a time, but if you are going to use linux, you are only going to be able to hold 2 - 4 Operating systems per disk - since Linux takes 3 of the 4 partitions that your drive can allow(a max of 4 partitions are allowed, Windows, OS/2, and FreeBSD use one partition for everything while linux has three. You can hold 4 OSes because one may be BeOS and inside a virtual drive, and if you you'r Windows directories seperate from eachother, or you may install 2 versions of windows after upgrading(this is only applies to Windows NT. Any versions of the 9x series cannot coexist with eachother nor Windows NT series).
manumiglani
Thanks {name here} for your answers. Yeah, I am new to Linux but you won't believe that i build a website about linux www.linuxmust.org
djclue917
{name here} wrote:

2: It's way different than you think. The 3 partitions that Fedora creates will not be visible to windows, nor can you make them visible to windows with out destroying fedora.

Just a thought...

Windows really cannot read ext2, ext3, or even ReiserFS and Reiser4 filesystems. However, there is a installable driver for Windows that will allow it to gain read/write access to ext2 and ext3 partitions. The software is called Ext2Fsd.

Visit its website for more info: http://ext2fsd.sourceforge.net/
{name here}
Interesting. I better remember that link if I'm going to install fedora ever again...
Tex_Arcana
Maybe this was said already but I missed it, but Windows has a nasty habit of formating every bit of drive space it can find before installing. If you put linux in first Windows will format it and overwrite it.
hnguy
http://www.fedorafaq.org/
useful site

fedora core 5 is out, you can get it at http://fedora.redhat.com/
its a great os
too bad it doesn't support ntfs drives without extra software
{name here}
Tex_Arcana wrote:
Maybe this was said already but I missed it, but Windows has a nasty habit of formating every bit of drive space it can find before installing. If you put linux in first Windows will format it and overwrite it.

Only in the windows 9x series. Windows 2000 and up has a rudimentary partitioner.
Tex_Arcana
{name here} wrote:
Tex_Arcana wrote:

Only in the windows 9x series. Windows 2000 and up has a rudimentary partitioner.

Okay thanks for not leaving me ignorant. Since I never had an XP boot disk (bought my computer second hand sans disc) I was repeating something I heard somewhere. Seems that always bites me in the ....... (mumble)
WhoAmI8505
Tex_Arcana wrote:

That's true, unless you are careful when partitioning the HDD during the first part of the install (FDISK if installing Win9x). If you're installing new OS's and saving no data, just:

1) Delete all existing partitions (if any)
2) Create at least one partition for windows
3) Format with FAT32 or NTFS
4) Install windows on the partition
5) Then when you go back to install linux, create the necessary partitions from the free space.

NOTE: This is a very basic outline
{name here}
Or, if you already have windows installed just defrag, then install the linux distro. The partitionry agents in Linux are much more easy to use and more advanced, so you may resize the windows partition, and add the 3 linux partitions. This is very difficult to do if you're new to linux because the partitions must be a certain FileSystem.

Any other OS has a much easier install process only requireing one partition, with the easiest I've seen being BeOS, which is similar to linux, but uses one partition, has a much easier install process with an extremely easy to use partitionry agent, and is faster(depending on the distro compared to), smaller, and integrates a very good GUI.