FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Noir

OtakuBoi
Quote:
Noir is an anime set in the near future. Mireille is a young girl, a lone-wolf type who happens to be one of the most talented assassins in the underworld. One day she receives an e-mail with the name of her next target: Kirika Yumura. The e-mail has an attachment phrase, "Join me on a pilgrimage to the past." and a melody that was playing from a music box (Mireille's father watch) when Mireille's parents were killed. Mireille, whose parents were killed by a mysterious assassin, and Kirika, a girl who has no memory of her past, eventually team up together as assassins. Noir will emphasize plot and story, rather than flashy gunfight sequences and big explosions. -AnimeNFO

This is my favorite anime of all time, it has the guns, the girls, the mysterious pasts, the mafia, what more could anyone ask for?

It's less popular than a lot of the other animes b/c it wasn't aired on American television, at least as I can remember...

Anyone else seen Noir?

PS: http://www.projectnoir.com/ is the official project page from back when it was being developed Wink
Traveller
Absolutely! When I posted my list of favourites earlier, I completely forgot about Noir and Serial Experiments: Lain. Aside from all the things you've already mentioned, I also like the drawing style.
OtakuBoi
Yep, I wanted to see SE Lain, but I've been extremely busy this year... I noticed a similarity between Kirika and Lain, it's spooky...

And yes, the drawing style is awsome, but if you take your time to notice how slow it goes sometimes, it looks like they're "Saving Paper" >_<
Traveller
OtakuBoi wrote:
... if you take your time to notice how slow it goes sometimes, it looks like they're "Saving Paper" >_<

Of course, that is not an uncommon practice in anime, in general. Hence, having backgrounds of streets crowded with people, but the only people moving are the main characters.
siena
While I am a fan of action based anime, I found Noir to be a very enjoyable experience.
There are frequent dramatic gunfights that are masterfully choreographed.
Still, these fights try to be as realistic as possible and as such, the action pales in comparison to series that spotlight hand to hand combat.
The mystery coupled with strong character development left me wanting more after each episode and I was sad to see it end.
Like many others, I loved the atmosphere of the series, particularly the music which has made it into my usual rotation.
The series remains very serious from start to end so don’t expect any comedy outside of the occasional “out of character” reaction.
Some guys may be put off by the fact that there are no important male characters to identify with but I didn’t find this to be important.
Overall, Noir is a very enjoyable series and is well worth the investment of picking it u
OtakuBoi
Yes, I definately remember wanting more after every episode, and the music was great... I got the 2CD soundtrack :3

Unfortunately, they cut out some of the cool music in the soundtrack T_T I wanted the clock song, so yes.. awsome music too ;D
Scaramanga
Noir was Najica Blitz Tactics with less panty shots. Noir is also a lot like Madlax (or vice versa.)

Personally, my favourite from the girls with guns genre has always been Gunslinger Girl, which is a far-more interesting, character-driven show than I felt Noir was.
gh0stface
Noir was alright. There was some good sequences in the anime, but I thought it was drawn out a bit. Especially more towards the middle end of the episodes.
eku53ru
I've only seen the first five episodes at my school's anime club; I didn't really like the series, but at the same time I didn't really hate it either. But then again, I probably didn't see enough of it to form a solid opinion.

When I first saw the trailer for the anime, though, it looked really cool; the opening song was very good, too. >__<
TeK
gh0stface wrote:
Noir was alright. There was some good sequences in the anime, but I thought it was drawn out a bit. Especially more towards the middle end of the episodes.
Agreed. The series seems to drag on after a while. I never got around to finishing because it got boring after a while.
Octaeder
I personally have a lot of love for Noir... I'm rewatching at the moment.

Sure it was slow moving, but that was part of its almost lazy effortless style... After all it is based on Film Noir and set in France, it had to have style up to the eyeballs.

Still the interplay between Kirika and Mirielle was top notch throughout the show and the ending cemented its place as one of my favourites, whereas animes like Hellsing seemed to have fairly badly drawn out endings that did nothing for me.

Also the music is sublime, which helps...
mtoni
I watched Noir almost a year ago...
I've seen like 14 episodes.
At first it was cool, and later on it was cool too, but still, it couldnt grab my whole interest for it. Music is cool, characters are cool, action is good, and yet there is something I don't like about. Ah well, I can't explain it.
WizardOne
I have indeed watched Noir. Its a pretty impressive anime in my opinion, I wish they'd make a sequel or possibly a movie. can anyone possibly give me the Actual japanese characters for Mirielle? (hiragana/katakana are fine)
Traveller
WizardOne wrote:
I have indeed watched Noir. Its a pretty impressive anime in my opinion, I wish they'd make a sequel or possibly a movie. can anyone possibly give me the Actual japanese characters for Mirielle? (hiragana/katakana are fine)

Since her name is not Japanese, it would be katakana, not hiragana.

Mireille: ミレイユ
Bouquet: ブーケ

(Note: I didn't try to figure this out with a kana chart, but googled for the anime and character names, then went to "advanced search" and set the language to Japanese, then skimmed through the results until I could recognized enough of a match. After that, I copied and pasted the katakana directly, so how it displays may depend upon the fonts installed on your system and the encoding to which you have your browser set.)
WizardOne
Looks good! Thanks for the time and effort =).