FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Tex_Arcana
This is a new anime that was just fansubed by a.f.k. . I can't really tell you what the rest of the series will be like but if the weirdness of the first episode is any indication .....

No really when it first started watching this for the first time I had to check the scrolling title on my Xine movie player to make sure I was watching the show I thought I'd picked, and then I wondered if maybe someone at a.f.k. had mislabeled something and sent it in as The Meloncoly of Haruhi Suzumiya. It was truely one of those WTF! moments that you usually find in shows like FLCL.

I think this will be one of those extremely funny and off beat animes that people are going to talk about for a long time.
Scaramanga
Yeah, this is definitely a crazy show, ableit one I'm really excited about. It's too bad the OP they used for the "movie" isn't going to be the regular OP, that was hilarious.

And just for you Tex... MIKURU-BEAM!!!
Tex_Arcana
Laughing I see your Mikuru beam and raise you one random bunny girl with an AK-47.

Remember you should not point these at people (unless you're the vice president) stick to shooting at cans or something.

Of course this does raise the question of which is more fun to watch. Her guise as a Random Gun Bunny or Combat Waitress from the Future.

Oh by the way folks, I've tried not to give away the plot on this episode. Let's just say that when you watch this show you REALLY need to stick with it to the end. On one forum I'm on some people actually gave this show a bad review and it was found out later that they didn't watch all the way to the end and didn't get the joke.

Added 1650 Lima (reading to much Tom Clancy)

Just got through watching the second episode of Meloncoly. In this one they do get around tp properly introducing the cast and giving us a bit of the back story. Okay, with out giving any of that away I'm geting the feeling that this is going to be one of those quietly brillient shows tend to slip under the radar with a large fansub fanbase but if it get licenced and gets shown on Adult Swim or Cartoon Network it won't be as well recieved by the DB's or Narutards. I see it more as Anime Network material.

If you like quirky, high scool, slice of life type anime with a shot of something extra then you relly don't want to miss this one. I'm looking forward to episode three already.
urbanbuddha
Tex_Arcana wrote:

.. I'm geting the feeling that this is going to be one of those quietly brillient shows tend to slip under the radar with a large fansub fanbase but if it get licenced and gets shown on Adult Swim or Cartoon Network it won't be as well recieved by the DB's or Narutards. I see it more as Anime Network material.

If you like quirky, high scool, slice of life type anime with a shot of something extra then you relly don't want to miss this one. I'm looking forward to episode three already.

^^ LMAO

Well said. If you like this be sure to watch School Rumble Season 1 and 2.

As well, did you see the weird time flux in ep 3/4? Not to spoil it for any one, but the episode ordering was kinda weird.

Along the lines of this as well, I also advise people to "skip" episode 1 from a.f.k. until ep 4 cause you won't know what to make of it till you know the characters. It's more of an omake if you ask me ^_^
driftingfe3s
I love this anime! Its so funny and random.

urbanbuddha wrote:

^^ LMAO

Well said. If you like this be sure to watch School Rumble Season 1 and 2.

As well, did you see the weird time flux in ep 3/4? Not to spoil it for any one, but the episode ordering was kinda weird.

Along the lines of this as well, I also advise people to "skip" episode 1 from a.f.k. until ep 4 cause you won't know what to make of it till you know the characters. It's more of an omake if you ask me ^_^

Ya the episodes are all out of order. But if you watch the endings where they give a preview of the next episode they tell you the ture episode order of the next episode followed by the episode it will come out as.

Might sound weird but for example you'll hear Suzumiya say next episode 7, then you'll hear the guy say "Wrong its episode 5!". So here the true chronological order of the next episode is 7, but is given to us as 5. Hope that made sense, my friend just told me that and I saw it for myself.

I think it makes it more interesting that way becuase not knowing what happens inbetween certian episodes makes you kind of put things together bit by bit and also builds up alot of suspense and cliffhangerness all over the place.
Scaramanga
For the record, the original books were not chronological either. And yes, there is a good reason they are like that.
Tex_Arcana
Maybe I shouldn't be posting here in my own thread here. I thought for sure that this one was headed for page 2 obscurity. I took a couple of days off from the forums here to do some coding for my web site and here it is back up in the newly responded to. I was hoping that this post would get noticed because this is a good show and I wanted to give it a heads up.

This show is in a class of it's own in terms of bizareness, and that's a good thing. This is one show from the new crop that I find my self looking for when ever I check out the new torrents. Yeah, the episodes are out of order, but not in a way that makes it hard to follow. It makes sense to me concidering the underlying plot of the series (hows that for not giving away the plot while still commenting on it? Laughing ).

Really folks, if you haven't checked this out yet you really should. This is quickly becoming one of my all time favs and I've only seen a few episodes. I'm not that easy to please either. It is really that good. Catch it from the begining but don't let the first episode throw you off. It's one of those "time slip" things and a truely weird way of starting a series, but gives you an idea of the quirkiness your in for.
ato784
The dub is surprisingly good, also bring topics back from the dead feels pretty good too.
loremar
Yes, this one has to be one of the most craziest animes I've ever seen. I can't even believe I pull it through the Endless Eight in Season 2. It was really getting annoying and it just shows that beautiful moments can be turned into a horror when you just play it over and over again. My favorite episode was the Day of Sagittarius. I just want to see more of Yuki's hacking capabilities. She looked really cute when she didn't know how to use the computer, very ironically cute.
Semi
This anime started out as light novel (light novel means they are small, easy to carry so you can just take it out of the bag and read it on the train, Japanese tend to do this when they go to work or off work), I read the Chinese translated of the novel and it was really GOOD!

So far the anime have stayed quite true to the novel, which is definitely good thing to do, Day of Sagittarius episode was one of the funniest episode indeed Very Happy

For those of you who did not see the movie of the anime, you should do it, but after watching season 2 because there's some connection between an episode or two, it's quite a masterpiece!
loremar
Semi wrote:
This anime started out as light novel (light novel means they are small, easy to carry so you can just take it out of the bag and read it on the train, Japanese tend to do this when they go to work or off work), I read the Chinese translated of the novel and it was really GOOD!

So far the anime have stayed quite true to the novel, which is definitely good thing to do, Day of Sagittarius episode was one of the funniest episode indeed Very Happy

For those of you who did not see the movie of the anime, you should do it, but after watching season 2 because there's some connection between an episode or two, it's quite a masterpiece!

I watched the movie too. It was lovely indeed. I just love Yuki. I definitely vote Yuki for Kyon than Haruhi. Yuki's done a lot of things for them especially in the Endless Eight episodes. I felt terribly bad for her. Haruhi's just a trouble maker and she does not even realize it.XD
richbroke
I watched it i realy liked the mood of this anime and the lovely characters something a bit different from the usual anime stereotypes.. well i stopped when that loopthing began....yawn. Didn't see any of the movies yet