FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Check out my Martial Arts Web site!

Whong
Check out my Martial Arts Web site!
http://www.martialartsstudios.frih.net/
Tell me how you like it, its still a bit under done, but I'll be adding things to it once summer comes! We'll be making videos and I'll be putting some trailers there! Hope you enjoy it! Tell me your opinion, what should I change, what should I take off and what should I add??
wumingsden
My honest opinion is its definitly different, was it created with Word or an online website creator ? The reason I ask is that you can tell that it isn't manually created.

I would to the following:

Learn HTML and CSS. After look at a bit of Javascript examples and then learn a little about PHP

Use the black and white theme - (Just about everyone knows that i love the black and white theme but i think anything martial arts should face its opposite)

Center everything on the whole page

Move the hits counter to the botton of the page

Add a copyright notice

Get rid of the text images, use proper letters/words

Get rid of the multi-colours, its hell on the eyes.

Basically in my opinion you should make it simplistic. I use black and white for my site with a bit of blue and it looks cool. Do not use too much colour, in the end it will look tacky.
Mooty
You definitley need to put a bit more time into learning HTML .
dont even worry about CSS for the moment. I suggest you look at templates and other sites to see how people make good looking sites..

But at the moment I think it looks pretty bad an un-professional - youre trying to be overdecorative with limited knowledge and that always turns at pretty ugly.

basically go for simplicity.
Whong
Thanks for the tips, I'm really new at this so I'm not very good at it yet! Sad What colours should I use?
wumingsden
Whong wrote:
Thanks for the tips, I'm really new at this so I'm not very good at it yet! Sad What colours should I use?

Its up to you, choose you style. jsut limit yourself down to 2, 3 or 4 colours.
i use black, white and blue - as you can see here my point is is that you don't have to be mega experienced at html to make a site using html
Whong
Hey guys, I've totally changed it! I don't know is better or worse, but check it out! Very Happy Laughing

Tell your honest thoughts and ideas about it!
cavey
I did not see your previous version.

When you look at a Martial Arts website, it should immediatelly tell you that you have entered a Martial Arts website. Without having to read the text.

The thing at the top looks like a ghost. And the fonts you are using, gives me no assosiation to Martial Arts. You could just as well have been using a common font.

Centered text are not easy to read because the eye does not know where to jump to, when there is a line break. You may use it on Headings and small amounts of text. But not on the whole thing.

The graphics are very "90's", and all the graphic elements doesn't fit together, making the site untidy.

Search for Martial Arts movies at IMDb or Amazon. Look at the covers and be inspired!

Good luck!
wumingsden
DEFINITLY better. The only problem is is that you need a theatre screen to be able to see the whole page ! I would shift everything a little over to the left and also move the red menu bar a little over (or the text to the center) as the bar is covering most of the writing.
I like the buttons, background, the logo.
I don;t like the "whats new" image, it looks as if its from Microsoft Word, which isn't a good look.
You should add a copyright to the bottom as well as colour in the toolbars
sugarbox
I love Matial Arts Surprised
FRE3
Martial arts fan my self Very Happy If you cant learn these skills, you could use a CMS for a while whilst you learn, if not get a good peice of software like dreamweaver (what i sue) or frontpage. They both seem complicated at first to use, but after a while they get simple to use and even the simplest of layouts look a lot more pro and tidy
Whong
wumingsden wrote:
DEFINITLY better.

Thanks, I'm glad its better! Very Happy

wumingsden wrote:
The only problem is is that you need a theatre screen to be able to see the whole page ! I would shift everything a little over to the left and also move the red menu bar a little over (or the text to the center) as the bar is covering most of the writing.

You see, I have a 15,4 inch screen in my laptop so it's a bit hard to see the thing as in a normal screen, but I'll work on it! Laughing

wumingsden wrote:

Thanks, I've been working on the logo for a long time! Very Happy

wumingsden wrote:
I don;t like the "whats new" image, it looks as if its from Microsoft Word, which isn't a good look.

You're right on that, it is from word, I'll be making a better one soon! Very Happy Idea

wumingsden wrote:
You should add a copyright to the bottom as well as colour in the toolbars

Yep, your right about the trademark thing. Do you mean by toolbars those red and blue lines? Question

Laughing Thanks for the complements, I'll be working on it today! Idea Laughing
wumingsden
Sorry, I mean the scrollbars, to scroll down the page
Whong
OK, I've worked on it again a bit! Laughing
Check out the Partners section, I've added a few music clips!

Tell me how you like it ! Very Happy
selim06
i think you should still improve your skills...it seems so basic good chance!!!
Whong
selim06 wrote:

Could you give me some details on improving! Laughing

I'd really like to know! Very Happy
HardBeats
you maybe better can design a new design Razz because this one isnt very nice no offence!! but don't take to many fonts or bigger sized fonts doesnt look nice.
Whong
Sorry to disapoint you, but you gotta tell me what to change, cause I'm not gonna change anything untill I know what. And I can't please every one!
djcaution
Well, there's nothing there! I click on current projects and there's no content (and the about us link doesnt work from that page) plus there's nothing in the about us page either when you are able to click there...
Those things aside as far as the layout goes I dont like the lasers & ghost-looking thingy theme you should make it more martial-art like, have a cool martial arts pose goin on or something
Whong
djcaution wrote:
Well, there's nothing there! I click on current projects and there's no content (and the about us link doesnt work from that page) plus there's nothing in the about us page either when you are able to click there...

Well thats because it kind of unready yet, I'dont have really that much time and I just started yesterday! Laughing Exclamation Idea

djcaution wrote:
I dont like the lasers & ghost-looking thingy theme you should make it more martial-art like, have a cool martial arts pose goin on or something

Sorry, but I'm not going to change the lasers and the "ghost looking thing" resembles the M & A as in the picture the M is down and A is on top! M = Martial, A = Arts. The A is at the top because it is firstly and foremostly an Art, a Martial Art!Idea It took me a good long time to make it, I know that I can't please everyone, but I think it is quite OK.

wumingsden wrote:

Someone atleast likes the Logo! Laughing

As for the pose, I'll be putting one there of me or my friend most probably! Wink

Martial Arts isn't just karate suits and big-built men, it's the speed, agility
+ some strenght and a fitting, nice, light and easy to wear outfit! Laughing Wink Idea
selim06
Whong wrote:
selim06 wrote:

Could you give me some details on improving! Laughing

I'd really like to know! Very Happy

i think you should use an entegrenal website...So if you use a content system managament system or another system you can learn guest's opinions and you can update it regularly and quickly...You can design your index and link to other utilities...So if you want i can contine?
Whong
selim06 wrote:
i think you should use an entegrenal website...So if you use a content system managament system or another system you can learn guest's opinions and you can update it regularly and quickly...You can design your index and link to other utilities...So if you want i can contine?

I'm really new at this so could you explain it in a bit more simple way. Very Happy
What does entegrenal website mean.

Please continue, I'd love to hear more!
Laughing Very Happy Exclamation
selim06
Whong wrote:
selim06 wrote:

I'm really new at this so could you explain it in a bit more simple way. Very Happy
What does entegrenal website mean.

Please continue, I'd love to hear more!
Laughing Very Happy Exclamation

oh sorry i used my own language in there i mean integrated website...Could you understand me or i will continue?
Whong
I guess so, please continue! Very Happy
selim06
Whong wrote:
I guess so, please continue! Very Happy

ok i want to say first you open an portal system and integre it with your website's index...So you can design your index with Flash and you can link your portal and your partner's website etc...
i wish you didn't laugh me...
Whong
Ok now I understood, please continue
wumingsden
I think your trying to make it look too good. My first website was so terrible and i thought it was so cool, now realising that it wasn't. note that your current website is much better than the old one - I would give you the link but i'd die of embarrassment.
You should just practice in notepad making websites, this is the only way that you're gonna learn. I'm still wondering how your making your site ? I don't get the feeling that its done in notepad. if you don't know how to make a site in notepad then tell me and i'll write a step-by-step tutorial. Either way I can't see any appearance changes Confused

Edit: Sorry, i didn't clear my cache. I still don't like the "Whats New" image, just use text.

Also you have this on your site:

Quote:

.燤artial arts films can be done燼nywhere,
outdoors or indoors, its爑p to you!?br>

you forgot to add the "<" tag. Note that the code you should use is...

Code:

<br />

Also is your site ment to be in Chinese (i think). it may be my encoding options so don't worry about this too much. The image copyright thing is mostly covered by a bar.
Whong
wumingsden wrote:
I think your trying to make it look too good. My first website was so terrible and i thought it was so cool, now realising that it wasn't. note that your current website is much better than the old one - I would give you the link but i'd die of embarrassment.
You should just practice in notepad making websites, this is the only way that you're gonna learn. I'm still wondering how your making your site ? I don't get the feeling that its done in notepad. if you don't know how to make a site in notepad then tell me and i'll write a step-by-step tutorial.

I made it by using CoffeeCup Html, but I did it in the Visual Editor! Very Happy
I don't know to make a site in notepad. It would be so kind of you to write a tutorial. I'd like to learn html, but I really don't know where to start! Sad

wumingsden wrote:
Either way I can't see any appearance changes Confused

Check out the About Us and Partners section! In the Partners section there are some Music clips W. Made!

Thanks for your help wumingsden! Very Happy
wumingsden
I must have Edited my post just after you replied, I can see the changes.

I am writing a tutorial on how to make a website which is located here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33762&highlight=

Note that it is not finished, more will be added on to it all the time. Also included in the tutorial, at a later date, little be CSS and JavaScript. I may also go into php functions.
Whong
It's a very nice, neat & simple tutorial! Very Happy
I hope I'll learn html soon.
Did you check out the music clips on my site, if you didn't please check them out!
I'd really like to hear peoples opinions on my friend's music! Laughing Very Happy

I also added data to the CURRENT PROJECTS.

Thanks again WuMingsDen! Laughing
Whong
Check out!
I've added a Bruce Lee Biography to my site, also if you have some questions you can send them to me or W.
You can find the e-mails from the About Us section by clicking our pictures!

http://www.martialartsstudios.frih.net/Bruce%20Lee%20Biography.html

Hope you enjoy to read the biography!

Laughing
selim06
Whong wrote:
Check out!
I've added a Bruce Lee Biography to my site, also if you have some questions you can send them to me or W.
You can find the e-mails from the About Us section by clicking our pictures!

Hope you enjoy to read the biography!

Laughing

it looks better i think...Good catch!
Whong
I've finally centered the pages, at least it's centered on my computer so check it out!
Please guys give me some feedback on the musics. Pleaaase! Very Happy
http://www.martialartsstudios.frih.net/MArts%20Co.html

The music files are "Trip in the Coutry" and "Inornatum"

Please, tell me how do you like it! Exclamation Idea Wink
Whong
Now I've added to the Bruce Lee biography a video scene from one of Lee's films, check it out, and also a couple of music clips too! Very Happy
Please tell me how you like them! Very Happy Idea

http://www.martialartsstudios.frih.net/MArts%20Co.html

Enjoy, listen and watch! Wink Idea
Whong
Check it out, I've added a forum too, please tell me how you like it and join the forums too, if you want to! Laughing Very Happy Wink

http://www.martialartsstudios.frih.net/

Hope you all like it! Wink Idea
Whong
Check this out NOW!

Our first trailer has come out. Check it out and tell me how you like it!

Mustafa's Bottle of Insanity is the name of our up comming short film!

http://www.martialartsstudios.frih.net/MArts%20Download.html

Please everybody check this out!
Dark-Tech
the page has to be adjusted either by size or positioning so that it all fits on the screen you don't havbe to scroll left to get to the content there are a few positioning errors like the waht's new on the front page should be adjusted either to entirely cover the part of the line i thinke you were trying to cover or move it down so you can see the line or just backspace over that part of the line of text also i feel you should link the image to somewhere
Whong
Dark-Tech wrote:
the page has to be adjusted either by size or positioning so that it all fits on the screen you don't havbe to scroll left to get to the content there are a few positioning errors like the waht's new on the front page should be adjusted either to entirely cover the part of the line i thinke you were trying to cover or move it down so you can see the line or just backspace over that part of the line of text also i feel you should link the image to somewhere

On my screen it shows just fine, mine is 15.4" screen. I don't know why it doesn't show right? How did you like the video Question
foumpie
try other types of fonts ...
these loook so unprofessional ...

start at using a smaller one
Whong
foumpie wrote:

I'm sorry, but I can't please everyone. I use that font because it isn't much used in websites. I don't know if it shows properly on your computer. The fonts that I use are Cracked Johnnie.

Did you check out the video?
Whong
foumpie wrote:

OK, I've chanced it now to Times new Romans, so check it up is it now better.
Whong
I've improved my site again a little, so check it out!

Now please check the trailer and tell me what do you think of it. Wink

Thanks for all the advice! Wink Idea
Whong
I've improved my site again a little, so check it out!

Now please check the trailer and tell me what do you think of it. Laughing Idea

Please join the forums too, and if you've got some questions please ask!
Please check the trailer, I'd really want to know what people think of it! Laughing

Idea Wink
Whong
Hi again, long time no news!

Now we've put our second trailer on our website. This trailer is about 4 min 45 sec long and is from our second movie Strike of Vengeance.

Please check it out and tell me how you like it! Very Happy

http://martialartsstudios.frih.net/MArts%20Download.html