FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

No boot... help, anyone?

Idoru
Hi!

I have this problem with lots of spare parts that should be a working machine. Actually, the parts came from two computers, wich both stopped working in strange manners. One when the keybord by mistake was connected to the mouse-port, and the other when speakers was connected.
Anyhow, I've made endless attemts to move the parts around, but I just can't get anything to boot Crying or Very sad

What I'm talking about here is an Asrock G Pro motherboard, with sockel 478 and an Intel Celron 2,0 CPU. Some DDR on that, HDD, CD-ROM, Graph-and Sound card (tried with and without, since there are onboard options). It should work, but I don't even get a boot-sequence!? The fans start up alright, there is a small sound from the HDD, and I get a short blink on the keyboard, but thats about it.
Same problem with the other motherboard, and all constallations of parts I've tried.

Do anyone feel they can shed some light over my situation? Feel free to give any suggestions Razz
psycosquirrel
If all of yor components are still in working condition, then in theory, your system should work. You may have to reset the BIOS, so disconnect power, find the bios reset jumpers on the mobo and swap the little plug thing onto the other for 10 seconds, remove it, then reconnect power and try turning it on.

Your symptoms sound like those of a defective or weak power supply. What wattage is the power supply you are using? I may have the same proc as you (P4 soc478 2.012GHz) and it will not even consider booting on anything under 350 watts, even with my crappy graphics card. This theory is further supported by your testing of the other motherboard. Consider getting a new one; it seems to be your faulty component.
Xeniczone
Remove all hardware.

Hard drive cd rom key board mouse anything that isn't required in the pci bus.

All you want is the motherboard the power supply and the graphics card with a monitor connected and memory that is it.

Turn it on and see if you see anything on the monitor. If not turn it back off.

Now remove the battery from the board, and unplug the computer from the wall. Give it a good 10min - 30 min to reset its self. It may take sorter but just to be sure.

Now put your battery back in and plug it back in and turn it back on and see if you see anything. If not then your cpu is gone. you have static electricty and you shocked the boards. Or you just have really bad luck with computers.
Donutey
You can take out pretty much everything... (CD harddrives, even CPU, RAM, and video card)... and put power to it and see if the board beeps. Then slowly put things back in, and see what happens.
d722002
it seems odd that plugging a keyboard into a mouse port would crash a computer... they are both standard ps/2 ports, and therefore should be interchangeable.
kv
d722002 wrote:
it seems odd that plugging a keyboard into a mouse port would crash a computer... they are both standard ps/2 ports, and therefore should be interchangeable.

Not really. They are specific to keyboard and mouse. If you see, they will be in different colors (usually green and purple). I accidentally interchanged them once and the keyboard stopped functioning.
SoftStag
kv wrote:
d722002 wrote:

Not really. They are specific to keyboard and mouse. If you see, they will be in different colors (usually green and purple). I accidentally interchanged them once and the keyboard stopped functioning.

Yes, they may not work in the wrong socket (although on some PCs they do); however it certainly should not cause hardware failure, unless you are plugging and unplugging when the PC is powered up.

My advice is have mobo, RAM, processor, PSU, monitor and keyboard connected up. If there is no system speaker built in to the mobo, then attach one also, this should give you some beeps, a single short beep is all ok, otherwise there is some problem. From the beep code you can determine the fault. If everything is working, then build the PC up bit by bit.
Idoru
Great feedback, and a couple of new roads to walk. Unfortunatley none of them brought me to a place a havn't already been, but mabye the answer is clearer. Now I assume that it's either the BIOS or the CPU or the MoBo that got a serious cold, and wichever I wount keep building with the parts in a while. We'we got two working machines, so the third will just have to wait till economy allow us a complete set.

But all of you giving inputs and suggestions - Thx! You helped me get to a conclusion I didn't like, so I propablly wouldn't accepted it on my own.
ben.lastname
Idoru wrote:
The fans start up alright, there is a small sound from the HDD, and I get a short blink on the keyboard, but thats about it.

Know it's a bit late to mention anything but...

I agree with Donutey in that you really should try to strip the thing down. At this point you could also be looking at bad ram. If you have the manual for your Mboard you should look at the beep codes and see what they are suggesting.