FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sophie's World

tjatssa
Has anybody read this novel?
It's by Jostein Gaarder.
It's suppose to be a fiction book but
it tells you a lot about philosophy as well.
I decided to grab this book after realizing how
I have no knowledge about philosophy and
ppl like Socrates, Democritius, Plato and such.
This book is great for those who are interested in philosophy
or even for those who wants to know basics about them.
Though it's a novel, I personally think
this book makes you think a lot and it's very entertaining.
If anybody has time, try out the book and let me know. Thnx!
mirzapirza
My sister was given this as a summer assignment a few years ago. (I guess she was 16.) I ended up reading it during a long bus trip. I don't think what you're saying is right. It's supposed to be a textbook on philosophy, it's just hidden inside some fiction. Sophie has to learn a lot about those philosophers to solve the weird back story.

I'd recommend it to anyone - it's a great read, very educational.
galih
i love this book couse its very entertaining and i recommended it are cool book for collection..
thanks..
Smile
memza
yeai read that book.. its good
johanfh
This book was my first introduction in philosophy. It's a good book, although it's sometimes difficult if you have never thought about your worldview. I think it is indeed a textbook for philosophy rather than a novell, but the story is philosophy in itself. If you just read the story and skip all the rest, you will start to think about the world you live in. And thats just what philosophy aims to do

Happy reading!
JohanFH
Ioana
it΄s more of a childrens book - has some basics in it, but simplifyes philosphy a bit too mutch. you get kind of a pseudo-knowledge from it...
johnisenglish
I read it back in highschool. Although I agree that it is pretty basic, it is a nice primer for an intro to philosphy class. The style isn't nessicarly for everyone though. There are certainly times when it'd be nicer to just read a text book, or better yet the primary sources themselves.
RedMuse
I read Sophie's World last year. I found it really interesting; it's a very nice book as an introduction to philosophy. The story behind it was also pretty good. I especially love to learn about the different schools of thoughts and the "beginning of philosophy"
kezialounel
i've read Sophie's World, The Solitaire Mystery, and three other novels by Gaardner.

you have to read all the books in the series to really understand the whole story. they are connected and they all tell the same thing, just presented differently.

Sophie's World is told from a child's point of view and it's about Western Philosophy. the other books are told from a biologist view, a oriental philosophy view, etc.

read them all to get the big picture
boringest
lol...no wonder i got the feeling that it wasn't complete...the story's abit of a drag for me though...
Shewolf
galih wrote:
i love this book couse its very entertaining and i recommended it are cool book for collection..
thanks..
Smile

And not to forget all of Jostein Gaarder's other novels, like Maya...
Bookface
Sophie's World was by no means an introduction to philosophy for me, but it was a nice gentle presentation of things I already knew (or at least, once knew)... simplified a bit, perhaps, but not to excess, and very enjoyable.

kezialounel wrote:
i've read Sophie's World, The Solitaire Mystery, and three other novels by Gaardner.

you have to read all the books in the series to really understand the whole story. they are connected and they all tell the same thing, just presented differently.

Sophie's World is told from a child's point of view and it's about Western Philosophy. the other books are told from a biologist view, a oriental philosophy view, etc.

read them all to get the big picture

That sounds fascinating, and I didn't know about that at all. Now I must read them immediately.
darioabram
-- DELETED --
alexcheng
i remembering reading this book when i was 17 or 18 for a Career Prep course we had in highschool.

The book was spose to give us all this insight into our lives and make us reflect and think about philosophies and such. The way the course was designed, the students pretty much could read it and get an A, or not read it, and get an average mark.

Being the grade-****** I was, I read it, but found that midway through, i really actually enjoyed the book quite a bit. It's really a good read for people who have very little background knowledge in philosophy (like me at the time) because like the people say above, it's basically a lot of philosophical history hidden in an interesting fictional story.

Gets you thinking, which is always a good thing in my book.
marcmgeronimo
I've read this book because it was a compulsary reading for our Philosophy 1 course. It's like a text book and a novel at the same time. One by one you'll get to know famous philosopher as sophie goes with her philosophical adventures. The plot of the story is simple. It is basically about existence and the world. I don't want to spoil the story to anyone, its just its a plain old philosophical question.

At first i did like the book, but as you go along the story, you'll get gaardner's style of writing and somehow I got bored, just tried to read it to finish it (and of course because it is a required reading). It has a weird ending, and that's the reason I didn't really like it at all... though the book is very informative it is still not one of my best reads.
meet in rio
Ah, I read that.

It did get a bit tedious at times, but was well worth the read.
Mamsaac
I saw the movie (I believe it was made in norway), and I thought the book could be very good. I found the book after looking for it at some stores and I can say that the book, while not REALLY entertaining, it's something very well done. 8/10 for it's teachings.
serazat
I just couldn't found the occasion to read this one but now it's openly worldwide known book.Sure I will read sometime soon.