FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Toothpaste as an effective facial cleanser





thiamshui
Ever used toothpaste to wash your face before? Well, i use it and well.. it's quite nice.. my face doesnt seem that oily anymore (my skin is the oily type).. In fact, it's seems better now.. How did i know of this 'weird' method? A friend of mine told me once that his neighbour used to have pimply face, then he started using toothpaste to wash his face, and now his face is now cleared up.

Anyway, i'm not sure about u people but for me, it's quite good. I wash using toothpaste once per day. (same method as using a normal cleanser, put some on the palm and spread it evenly, before rubbing on ur face.)

My face is oily and sensitive. But after using the toothpaste, it's not so oily. and not that sensitive anymore. Washing with toothpaste gives u a very very cooling sensation.. Maybe that's the reason why pimples can disappear.. Well, u can try it and see if it works..

p/s: i'm not responsible if anything undesirable happens..lol...but i can swear that i like using it. It gives a much cleaner feel and it cools up the skin... erm...give it a go if u'd like to..

Topic moved to Health and Beauty by GhostRider103
mstreet
hmmm well I have used cucumber and teabags to reduce wrinkles and bags around the eyes.
Toothpaste is apparently also good for recovering scratched cds http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/77
The wonderful things of everyday household products
Kur0
Looks like toothpaste can sure do some amazing stuff. I dont fancy washing with it though, doesn't it hurt your eyes? I also don't like the idea of smelling strongly of mint all day, lol. But maybe ill try it sometime...hmm...you never know until you try it out i guess.
jayandsilo
try getting facepaste, it's called toothpaste for a reason
xorcist
Ya I use toothpaste because and it worked before but I never used it for a long time. But now I use proactive and it works, If anyhting else doesn't work jus use proactive I really didint think it worked becaues all of those commercials and most of them lie.
earthchild
Haven't tried toothpaste though I do use proactive and it does work pretty well. it is pretty cool actually - i was also surprised by the results
madsencarl
After I do that, I'm going to go and use clearasil to brush my teeth!

No.
clip
you can use toothpaste? isn't it a bit, too cold on the face?

But i think I'll try to try it. Laughing
adiutrix
Toothpaste is also good for a soar throats, just put it on your tongue and keep it there for a few minutes. I've tried, seemed to work fine.
mtoni
never tried it before, but that may change...
I knew that it could work as an antipimple product though
Helios
Hey, that a nice idea Razz
I'll actually try it.
Thanks for the tip Wink

I wash the mirror at the bathroom with my shaving gel Razz
- Also a tip I read from a thread on these FriHost Smile
windval
cool~~~

i will try it
dz9c
Tried it before and I am not going to school with a sticky, mint smelling crap on my face...My girlfriend will think im retarded. My pillow doesnt need to be all sticky and uncomfortable etc etc Its a mess... But try it if you so desire, you cant say I didnt
Garnet
This is crazy timing for this post, I started using it two weeks ago, I think it works too! I don't use it all over my face (I heard that could be too harsh, maybe it depends on the toothpaste?) but it works wonders for the occasional breakout Very Happy

Oh I just thought I'd add a tip, facial scrubs after get rid of all the mint smell etc
Srs2388
I have used it before, I dont remember where i found it if it would work or not... etc.
but it worked for me
jabapyth
Wierd!!! I had never heard of this berfore.
...Maybe ill try it, looks...interesting Surprised Very Happy
The_Gamer294
lmao! that reminds me, one time my cousin mixed up toothpaste with shaving cream
David_Pardy
You can use a small amount of Coca-Cola as a form of gel for your hair.
meet in rio
I've used it to 'dry up' zits, but there are far better things out there which don't smell so minty Wink .

The best thing I've ever tried is PanOxyl cream (the active ingredient being benzoyl peroxide)- ask for it at the counter in any drugstore. It's also quite cheap compared with many spot treatments and works pretty darn well.

It does tend to bleach clothing/bed linen, though, so watch out. Also, some people are sensitive to it and end up with their skin flaking off.

But yes - miracle product.
benji2
doesnt it make your face sticky and i wudnt like a minty smell all day.
sounds good but ill stick with my facewash and leave teh toothpaste for my teeth lol.
loserk
never tried and no hope ...
Slick
ive herd about people with bad achne and spots etc and its really helped!

im lucky i only get the odd sopt here and there nothing major!
contextme
what kind of toothepaste did you use? Idea
pjv
it's kinda weird what a toothpaste can do. i use it as first aid for small burns, you use it as face cleanser. maybe it's cooling effect does the trick, i don't know but as long as it works and doesn't do any harm then why not try it. Smile Maybe you can name it as not so allaroundpaste.
Code of Ruin
Maybe it works to scrub floors as well. Give me a break, toothpaste is for use on teeth. Especially al those whitening toothpastes and toothpastes with the 'magic' ingredients can't possibly be good for your skin.
Vrythramax
I don't think I'll try it, there's a reason why it's called toothpaste. I don't know the exact ingrediants in it, but I can't imagine it can be very good for you.
Gieter
I don't think it will really harm your face, but I have a few objections concerning your so called 'facecleaner': isn't it a waste of toothpaste to butter your face with it? Isn't it sticky? Don't you have a toothpastesmell on your face afterwards? I guess there are better means to take care of your face. Smile

And I also wouldn't put toothpaste on my tongue for a few minutes in order to 'heal' a soar throat. There are also better means for that.
ocalhoun
So that's what happened to Michael Jackson...
If you try this, don't use whitening toothpaste.
Vrythramax
I don't know..toothpaste...face wash...just seems a little bizzare to me
a.Bird
I think the half of you who deny the plausability of toothpaste as an effective facial cleanser should actually try it, or show evidence of your medical degree before slamming this member's idea in the dirt. I'm willing to state that you don't know $hit. Shhh
saiyeek
If you compare toothpaste with anti pimple cream why there would be so much competitions to make a best anti pimples cream. Seems like toothpaste is cheaper than any anti-pimple cream. Why would facial creams be ever made. Everyone would have used Toothpaste lol
Vrythramax
wash your face with hemmoroid cream....it'll shirink your attitude. But i seiously doubt it.


And don't say I don't know shi# YOU DON'T KNOW ME.
Hobbit
Actually I get random pimples every now and then, and I have used toothpaste before. My mom recommended it and it works. Wink
bdoneck
I've never heard of this before, but it sounds like a scam to me, i dont see how toothpaste will help clean your face, it's texture just doesn't seem right to do that
AdamantMonk
Tried it... skin feels better, but I would probably get a non-whitening toothpaste if I were to use it regularly.
Jeslyn
Anyone know if cleaning scratches from CD's/DVD's with toothpaste actually work?
Vrythramax
Jeslyn wrote:
Anyone know if cleaning scratches from CD's/DVD's with toothpaste actually work?


I would think it would be to abrasive.
copilot
I might try that. How long do you put it on for? I have acne BAD and I want to get rid of it. Coudl you give the details? Like toothpaste on for 15 minutes, 3 times a day or something like that. Thanks
webapp
I had to use it once I were in Boys scouts and we went on a field trip
In the night the kids would wake up and squeeze the toothpaste all over the faces of people who are fast asleep.........

I had one such experience and had to use it as a Facial cleanser....
ryanh2006
Kur0 wrote:
...I also don't like the idea of smelling strongly of mint all day, lol. But maybe ill try it sometime...hmm...you never know until you try it out i guess.


Yeah mate you took the words out of my mind! Imagine talking to somebody and smelling nothing but peppermint or worse, cinnamon!! But this post is getting mighty weird, interesting and funny at the same time! So I guess we should toast. Here's to toothpaste, the most versatile of all household items! Very Happy
Scorpio
Vrythramax wrote:
Jeslyn wrote:
Anyone know if cleaning scratches from CD's/DVD's with toothpaste actually work?


I would think it would be to abrasive.


I tried it out a year ago..

It did not work at all

I used 3 to 4 layers of paste.. on a CD and all i got was a refreshing smell from it

Nothing more.

the cd wasnt a waste though
driftingfe3s
I've heard of applying toothpaste on pimples and leaving them on overnight to dry them out, but not for cleansing. I wouldn't be suprised though, alot of the newer toothpaste come with an antibacterial agent which could kill the bacteria that may cause pimples.
lycadia
Yeah, tha'ts a traditional "old wives tale" sort of remedy. I remember reading it in some books for teenage girls from the 40's and 50's that I found while I was working at a library. I would recommend staying away from the high tech bleaching stuff, and I suspect that a quality cream for the purpose might work better, but as a spot treatment for blemishes, it has a long history of working well in a pinch. *shrugs* Hair spray is a good ink remover too. There are loads of these unexpected little tips.
Providence
Indeed. I have heard that toothpaste is good for cleaning yourself with. Although, it does dry you skin out. Which as you said, stops it from been as oily. And i must admit, if it's minty fresh. Well, you smell good Razz

You may see sometimes, that if you do research, that it's better to use your everyday products to do certain things rather than spending money here there and everywhere just to get a certain job done. It's not all that half bad.
whplace
Thats wierd but cool! I have lots of pimples on my face. Maybe i could use tooth paste lol!

Thank you,

whplace
Starbullets
dz9c wrote:
Tried it before and I am not going to school with a sticky, mint smelling crap on my face...My girlfriend will think im retarded. My pillow doesnt need to be all sticky and uncomfortable etc etc Its a mess... But try it if you so desire, you cant say I didnt


yeah, thats why you wash it off. you use it exactly the same way as a facial wash, just scrub it and rinse it off with water.
deanhills
Resurrection of an interesting thread. Completely bowled me over, so googled it. One Website had some interesting step-by-step instructions. The comments below the instructions in the Website were very entertaining. One commented that the toothpaste should be of the non-mint variety.
Quote:
Many of you do not follow PRECISE DIRECTIONS!

Wash your face with a gentle cleanser, or water.

Make sure you have PASTE not GEL. Apply to the acne and surrounding areas.

Leave the treatment on for 30-60 minutes depending on your skin type.(if you feel severe burning STOP! and DO NOT leave in over night!)

Wash your face with lukewarm water. Make sure that you remove all traces of toothpaste for if you miss some it could burn your skin!

Pat your skin dry. DO NOT RUB!!!

Get a moisturizer and apply in a circular or left-to-right motion to your ENTIRE face.

Make sure you get at least 7-8 hours of sleep and in the morning, your acne will be reduced (NOT CURED!)
Good Luck! Very Happy
hamza1122
yeah. my brother uses it for his skin irritations on his face to cool it down or something and i guess it works because he says it works.
Arty
Toothpaste contains baking soda, which could clean a lot of stuff.
In fact, toothpaste cleans whiteboards better than whiteboard cleaners.
standready
I have used on acne but never washed my whole face with toothpaste. I have soap for that. LOL
Bikerman
There are many home-made alternatives to most cleaning products. Those who work in environments where the hands get very oily & dirty often use a product called Swarfega, that has abrasive particles in it. When we had non available we would use a handful of sand mixed with liquid detergent (washing-up liquid) - works pretty well.
goutha
I think that it's an urban legend...
ProfessorY91
a.Bird wrote:
I think the half of you who deny the plausability of toothpaste as an effective facial cleanser should actually try it, or show evidence of your medical degree before slamming this member's idea in the dirt. I'm willing to state that you don't know $hit. Shhh


Or we could not try it, state our opinion that its ineffective/pointless/stupid, and walk away. Its not like we're telling you its harmful.

I'm not doing it. I think toothpaste belongs in my mouth. Period.
Bikerman
Max summed it up very well I think. Why put toothpaste on your face when there are specialist products for not too much money?
For those who cry 'you don't know because you haven't tried it' I would point out that:
a) I do know a fair bit about quite a few things. I know, for example, that menthol is common in toothpaste and that menthol is a mild skin irritant for many people so it will actually inflame the skin and make it itch. I also know that many toothpastes contain flouride which is also a skin irritant and in some people can cause a quite severe reaction. I know that scientific studies show that flouride is likely to CAUSE skin eruptions, not cure them. Finally I know that toothpaste does indeed dry out the skin, but I also know that drying the skin is not particularly useful in treating acne. People wrongly think it is useful, but that is because many commercial acne creams also dry out the skin and these people wrongly suppose that this proves that drying the skin is beneficial. It isn't. The reason that commercial creams sometimes dry the skin is because of a slight reaction to salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. They are both there for other reasons (salycylic acid promotes new cell growth and benzoyl peroxide is an anti-bacterial agent which kills the bacteria at the heart of the spot). The fact that they dry your skin is actually a slightly unfortunate side-effect, not a sign that they are working. Why should anyone think that drying out your skin is good for it? Moisturise, people, moisturise Smile

b) There are many things which I haven't tried but still feel able and competent to rule out.
Examples would be jumping from high buildings without a parachute as a means of rapid transport, sticking my hand in the fire to get a nice tan, firing myself from a cannon to save on airline costs and putting toothpaste on my spots to save 1.20.

And for the person who thinks max (and presumably I) doesn't know sh** then I would be a bit more careful about insulting people from a position of profound ignorance if I were you.
deanhills
Although I agree that one has to watch out for ingredients like mint and fluoride in tooth paste, there is tooth paste available that does not contain any of those. If you look at my previous posting, I quoted instructions that the toothpaste should not be left on overnight, but only for 30 to 60 minutes. Also that toothpaste may improve the situation, but not cure it. I don't think any of the products on the shelf would cure acne either. The best solution of all is to see a professional, i.e. a dermatologist specializing in acne, so that it can be treated and sorted out at the root.
Bikerman
The products on the shelf are designed to do the job. They may not cure severe acne - little will - but they will not make it worse and in most cases they will help significantly.
Toothpaste is designed for cleaning teeth. In some cases it will certainly make it worse. The only ingredient that would possibly be active against spots is sodium pyrophosphate which is used to control tatar on teeth. It removes calcium and that can be helpful according to some studies, but the concentration is tiny so any benefit would be minimal.

I don't really care what you 'quoted' Dean, you haven't got the first clue what you are talking about. How long does flouride take to provoke a reaction in sensitive skin ? Do you know? What about menthol (NOT mint - that is a completely different set of chemical compounds)?

So on the one hand you have treatments specifically designed for the job of treating spots and on the other toothpaste.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
The products on the shelf are designed to do the job. They may not cure severe acne - little will - but they will not make it worse and in most cases they will help significantly.
Toothpaste is designed for cleaning teeth. In some cases it will certainly make it worse. The only ingredient that would possibly be active against spots is sodium pyrophosphate which is used to control tatar on teeth. It removes calcium and that can be helpful according to some studies, but the concentration is tiny so any benefit would be minimal.

I don't really care what you 'quoted' Dean, you haven't got the first clue what you are talking about. How long does flouride take to provoke a reaction in sensitive skin ? Do you know? What about menthol (NOT mint - that is a completely different set of chemical compounds)?

So on the one hand you have treatments specifically designed for the job of treating spots and on the other toothpaste.
Perhaps you did not read my posting Bikerman. I suggested that the real cure is to see a professional dermatologist. I said that products off the shelf may not cure acne, which is the truth. The cure comes from within. That bit I DO know.

Is it possible to show a little more respect for fellow posters. I don't appreciate your reference that I don't have a clue what I am talking about.
Bikerman
Why did you post detailed instructions, as soon as the old thread was ressurected, as your first contribution? Then in the next advise that you can get toothpaste without the ingredients I said were potentially harmful (whilst getting it wrong) and repeating the treatment time?
Respect is earned and as I have told you before, you haven't earned mine.
When I say you haven't a clue what you are talking about I mean exactly that. If you don't appreciate my comments then OK - that is really up to you.

PS you don't need expensive visits to dermatologists for normal acne. A GP will be well able to help for a fraction of the cost, and can prescribe very effective treatments. 80% of teens get acne so it is quite normal and doesn't need over-medicalising.
chatrack
Toothpaste is good for appling in skin for burnings.
nam_siddharth
I will never try it. Why not use some good quality face wash instead?
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
Respect is earned and as I have told you before, you haven't earned mine.
Ditto Bikerman, you have not earned my respect either, and I doubt you ever will. But then we are here to post, not like one another, and at least we can do that with a certain amount of civility and courtesy to one another as posters.

In an earlier posting in this thread you said the following:
Quote:
And for the person who thinks max (and presumably I) doesn't know sh** then I would be a bit more careful about insulting people from a position of profound ignorance if I were you.

And then two postings after write this to me:
Quote:
you haven't got the first clue what you are talking about.
?

That suggests that you "think" you are an expert in the field of dermatology, and most of everyone else ignorant. You may have some common layman's knowledge like all of us, like titbits about fluoride and mint that one can find everywhere, but that definitely does not make you an expert in the field, and it did not impress me at all. If we go to the Religion Forum, then perhaps I would have a higher regard, as you obviously studied the subject quite a lot. But dermatology, I have not seen any signs of "superior" knowledge or expertise, to the extent that justifies you telling other people in this thread that they are ignorant.
Bikerman
When I claim expert knowledge you will hear the claim. Assuming I am an expert because I know more than you is not a safe inference.
What I have is a good general science knowledge and, much more importantly, critical thinking skills and a good grasp of the scientific method. That doesn't make me an expert in dermatology or any field in biology. What it does mean is that what I post is evidence based, checked and contains scientifically justifiable content. It might not be completely accurate or complete but it is very unklikely to be factually wrong or fallacious. I believe a quick trawl through our various postings would highlight this difference, in clear and unarguable detail. I might even do it and test that assertion - later.

You, on the other hand, have little knowledge of maths & science, a very sketchy grasp of basic critical thinking, a frequent disregard for, or unawareness of, formal and informal logical fallacies, and a poor understanding of the scientific method. This results in what we in fact see - your postings are likely to contain major inaccuracies, subjective opinion presented as fact, and illogical or fallacious assertions.

The other person was 'told off' because of their ignorant language and ignorant assumption (ie based on no knowledge). You were tackled for exactly the same. When you make statements like
Quote:
Although I agree that one has to watch out for ingredients like mint and fluoride in tooth paste,
you display ignorance. You are not aware that mint and menthol are different, with different possible effects. Menthol in toothpaste is synthetic C10H20O. Menthol naturally occurs in the leaf of the Peppermint plant. Mint can refer to Spearmint, peppermint, a mixture or any one of a dozen other members of family Lamiaceae. This could be significant since the different compounds produce different effects. Menthol , for example, is a mild anaesthetic whereas Peppermint isn't. There is evidence for menthol causing skin irritation. There is no such evidence for many of the other family Lamiaceae. Little things like this matter. Here it might just be a rash you give someone. Other mistakes could be more costly. If you don't know what you are talking about it is best not to talk. You hadn't got a clue about the ingredients of toothpaste until I started to go through them so when you say 'I agree' it means nothing. Of course you agree, because you don't know enough to have a real opinion so you had better not disagree or you will be made to look silly, again.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open one's mouth and remove all doubt!"

Finally the last paragraph in your posting contains a dishonest attempt to associate yourself with 'most of everyone else' and characterise my specific comments to you as applying to almost everyone. This is a common tactic you employ - portraying yourself as the majority voice, almost a representative of the whole group, when you are nothing of the sort. It allows you to pretend that any attack on your point is an attack on the majority - a tactic employed by cowards who need the security of the crowd.
What I say about you applies to you, not 'us' or 'most of everyone else' or any other such. If I want to make general comments about everyone I know how to do so and it will be clear.
hersandal
Is this true? I am willing to try this one since I cannot afford to buy expensive facial cleanser now a days. Hahahah I guess this is the time to try some alternatives that works for all of us. but first things first. Is this true? does it work? have anybody here tried it out?
Bikerman
Read the thread. Don't just lazily ask for a summary at the end.
soljarag
I can defenatly say I have never used toothpaste to wash my face.... I'd imagine it would feel very cold.... Maybe it will be good for a sun burn?
deanhills
soljarag wrote:
I can defenatly say I have never used toothpaste to wash my face.... I'd imagine it would feel very cold.... Maybe it will be good for a sun burn?
At one point in time it was suggested it would be good for small minor burns. Sort of takes the sting out of it. And it did work, but of course did not treat the burn itself. Must be the mint in it. If I do have any minor burns these days however I use aloe vera.
pinkypie4236
i used this and put it all over my face. it burned like hell"1 i was crying, it was hard to get off. discusting. Mad Evil or Very Mad Arrow dont try it
sudipbanerjee
Toothpaste as facial cleaner, I have never heard of it. I always use Toothpaste as Toothpaste.
Ohh in childhood days sometime I use it as food (obviously my parents don't know it) but as facial cleaner never.
omale55
Hmmm
Toothpaste as a face cleanser, well that's a new one for me. But I just might give it a try if my current facial cream doesn't work.

From my experience, the local or traditional method is always very effective and less expensive, but it might sometime require you to do odd things. Some people might find it insane to use a toothpaste as a face cleanser.
deanhills
omale55 wrote:
Hmmm
Toothpaste as a face cleanser, well that's a new one for me. But I just might give it a try if my current facial cream doesn't work.

From my experience, the local or traditional method is always very effective and less expensive, but it might sometime require you to do odd things. Some people might find it insane to use a toothpaste as a face cleanser.
I can't see how it can be used as a face cleanser. But if you decide to try it out, it would probably be a good idea to test a very small quantity of it on a very small patch of your skin first to see whether you are sensitive to it.
Caligurl87
As we all know....tooth paste typically has flouride in it. It works wonders on your teeth...however...i heard that they also use flouride in Rat poisoning. I asked the dentist about this recently and he said that flouride tooth paste is not bad for your dental use as long as you dont ingest tons of it; then it could possibly harm you. Knowing this...i am a little skeptical about what its doing to.your skin...even if it does get rid of acne. i used a bit on my face tonight for he firat time because i was curious and in the end...i really liked that minty icy-hot feeling on my face. It makes my face feel like its tightening up. But i am not sure that ill continue to put it on my face. Was a little too icyhot for me.
Caligurl87
As we all know....tooth paste typically has flouride in it. It works wonders on your teeth...however...i heard that they also use flouride in Rat poisoning. I asked the dentist about this recently and he said that flouride tooth paste is not bad for your dental use as long as you dont ingest tons of it; then it could possibly harm you. Knowing this...i am a little skeptical about what its doing to.your skin...even if it does get rid of acne. i used a bit on my face tonight for he firat time because i was curious and in the end...i really liked that minty icy-hot feeling on my face. It makes my face feel like its tightening up. But i am not sure that ill continue to put it on my face. Was a little too icyhot for me.
choice
but the how it smells after such washing? I mean the skin
Related topics
Effective Hangover Cures
How Effective ads at website
Pakistani woman blows up airport with facial cleanser
What do u miss?
Bel's Palsy.... has anyone else had it?
Polyphasic Sleep: Effective or not?
If you have toothpaste made in China, throw it away.
Different facial hair?
purivol clear-complex effective
PIMPLES
Effective Pick-up LInes
Aspirin and heart problems
Remote Infrastructure Management - Effective Strategy
Workaholics will see skin maintenance maintenance rule
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Health and Beauty

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.