FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Judas did not betray Jesus, says ancient document

Devil
Quote:
WASHINGTON: For 2,000 years Judas has been reviled for betraying Jesus. Now a newly translated ancient document seeks to tell his side of the story.

The ``Gospel of Judas'' tells a far different tale from the four gospels in the New Testament. It portrays Judas as a favored disciple who was given special knowledge by Jesus, and who turned him in at Jesus' request.

``You will be cursed by the other generations -- and you will come to rule over them,'' Jesus is quoted as telling Judas in the document made public Thursday.

The text, one of several ancient documents found in the Egyptian desert in 1970, was preserved and translated by a team of scholars. It was made public in an English translation by the National Geographic Society.

Religious and lay readers alike will debate the meaning and truth of the manuscript. But it does show the diversity of beliefs in early Christianity, said Marvin Meyer, professor of Bible studies at Chapman University in Orange, California.

The text, in the Coptic language, was dated to about the year A.D. 300 and is a copy of an earlier Greek version.

A ``Gospel of Judas'' was first mentioned around A.D. 180 by Bishop Irenaeus of Lyon, in what is now France. The bishop denounced the manuscript as heresy because it differed from mainstream Christianity. The actual text had been thought lost until this discovery.

Elaine Pagels, a professor of religion at Princeton University, said, ``The people who loved, circulated and wrote down these gospels did not think they were heretics.''

Added Rev. Donald Senior, president of the Catholic Theological Union of Chicago: ``Let a vigorous debate on the significance of this fascinating ancient text begin.''

Senior expressed doubt that the new gospel will rival the New Testament, but he allowed that opinions are likely to vary. Craig Evans, a professor at Acadia Divinity College in Nova Scotia, Canada, said New Testament explanations for Judas' betrayal range from money to the influence of Satan.

``Perhaps more now can be said,'' he commented. The document ``implies that Judas only did what Jesus wanted him to do.''

Christianity in the ancient world was much more diverse than it is now, with a number of gospels circulating in addition to the four that were finally collected into the New Testament, noted Bart Ehrman, chairman of religious studies at the University of North Carolina.

Eventually, one point of view prevailed and the others were declared heresy, he said, including the Gnostics who believed that salvation depended on secret knowledge that Jesus imparted, particularly to Judas.

In Cairo, the editor of the Coptic weekly ``Watani,'' Youssef Sidhom, did not want to make an immediate judgment on the manuscript.

``However,'' he said, ``this will not greatly affect the central belief that considers Judas as a traitor, but there is an old school of thought that says one should not persecute Judas because his role was to complete the prophecies. It seems that the new manuscript will support this point of view -- that Judas' role was pivotal to completing the prophecies.''

The newly translated document's text begins: ``The secret account of the revelation that Jesus spoke in conversation with Judas Iscariot.''

In a key passage Jesus tells Judas, ``You will exceed all of them. For you will sacrifice the man that clothes me.'' This indicates that Judas would help liberate the spiritual self by helping Jesus get rid of his physical flesh, the scholars said.

``Step away from the others and I shall tell you the mysteries of the kingdom,'' Jesus says to Judas, singling him out for special status. ``Look, you have been told everything. Lift up your eyes and look at the cloud and the light within it and the stars surrounding it. The star that leads the way is your star.''

The text ends with Judas turning Jesus over to the high priests and does not include any mention of the crucifixion or resurrection. National Geographic said the author believed that Judas Iscariot alone understood the true significance of Jesus' teachings. The author of the text is not named in the writings.

Discovered in 1970, the papyrus was kept in a safety deposit box for several years and began to deteriorate before conservators restored it. More than 1,000 pieces had to be reassembled.

The material will be donated to the Coptic museum in Cairo, Egypt, so it can be available to all scholars, said Ted Waitt of the Waitt Institute for Historical Discovery, which helped finance the restoration.

In addition to radio carbon dating, the manuscript was also authenticated through ink analysis, multispectral imaging, content and linguistic style and handwriting style, National Geographic reported.

DONNOT MISS SUNDAYS EPISODE OF NG ON THIS

Codex modern timeline

1970s
Ancient papyrus codex, or manuscript, containing Gospel of Judas, found by villagers near El Minya, Egypt.

Codex sold to an Egyptian antiquities dealer in Cairo.

May 1983
Egyptian antiquities dealer offers codex for sale to team of U.S. scholars in Geneva, Switzerland, hotel room. Asking price is too high — inside story goes that the researchers had just $ 300 while the price being asked for $ 3 million!

Feb./ Egyptian antiquities dealer offers codex for sale in New York and fails; stores

March 1984
Codex in safe-deposit box in Hicksville, N.Y., bank, where it remains for 16 years.

April 2000
Zürich-based antiquities dealer Frieda Nussberger-Tchacos buys codex from Egyptian antiquities dealer.

April 2000
Yale University's Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library verifies codex contains a Gospel of Judas, but decides not to buy it.

Sept. 2000
Tchacos initiates sale of codex to Bruce Ferrini, antiquities dealer, Akron, Ohio.

Feb. 2001
Sale falls through. Tchacos recovers codex and transfers it to Maecenas Foundation for Ancient Art, Basel, Switzerland.

July 2001
Maecenas Foundation President Mario Roberty retains Coptic scholar Rodolphe Kasser to lead effort to transcribe and translate codex from Coptic; conservator Florence Darbre retained to conserve codex.

Aug. 2004
Egyptian government agrees to accept donation of codex for Coptic Museum of Cairo. Codex will delivered to Egypt after it has been exhibited to the public.

Jan. 2005
Radiocarbon dating of codex papyrus and leather by the University of Arizona dates document to between A.D. 220 and A.D. 340.

Jan. 2006
Ink analysis by McCrone Associates Inc., Chicago, shows it contains components consistent with ink from third and fourth centuries.

Feb. 2006
Multispectral Imaging — a process used to assess the nature of, and any modifications to, ancient texts — conducted in Switzerland by Gene A. Ware of the Papyrological Imaging Lab at Brigham Young University, finds papyrus on which codex is written responds to MSI in a fashion similar to that of other ancient papyri imaged with MSI technology. Ware concludes MSI characteristics of codex appear to be consistent with an authentic Egyptian document of ancient origin.

Feb. 2006
A missing half-page of gospel surfaces in New York City. It is photographed, transcribed and translated.

April 2006
Pages of codex unveiled publicly for the first time at National Geographic Society headquarters in Washington, D.C.

Source : timesofindia.com
CWFwrestling
Yeah, I saw this on the Coast to Coast AM site. Pretty interesting stuff, but doesn't it contradict the "Jesus knew someone would turn on him at the last supper?"
Devil
yup jesus knew about it , but that is nothing new , what is new is that it says judas was jesus Fav , and judas only did what jesus wanted him to do
CWFwrestling
Devil wrote:
yup jesus knew about it , but that is nothing new , what is new is that it says judas was jesus Fav , and judas only did what jesus wanted him to do

Yeah, that's what I mean. Jesus' "miracle" of knowing what Judas was going to do wasn't so miraculas after all.
Scorpio
Honestly, I dont give a damn..

He is dead, re-incarnated and over with 1000s of years ago...

That info certainly aint gonna change my state of affairs..
Devil
scorpio wrote:
Honestly, I dont give a damn..

He is dead, re-incarnated and over with 1000s of years ago...

That info certainly aint gonna change my state of affairs..

ur correct , but what can be changed is , people blaming judas for betraying jesus , now for 1000s of years , people think he was the villian ,

what they forget is that judas role was to complete the prophecies .

he was merely a peace of the puzzle
SgtGarcia
Actually this doesn't change anything. Just a different interpretation. According to the bible there was a person called judas who "betrayed" jesus. This document says exactly the same, with the only difference that he didn't betray jesus, but het helped him out.
manumiglani
Who was Judas ? Question
Lord Klorel
With all this discovery's you can disrupt all the knowledge that is given to us by our parents,school,...
Why is it necessary to do this? Let everyone believe that Judas was the weak disciple that betrayed Jesus.

Why must be revealed that this all is actually a lie?

If everything goes further on this speed, then can the bible be destroyed because it tells lies to us.

This discovery may be done, but making it public it is a big mistake.

Some of you may think that i am nuts because i am telling my vision, but everyone may have a vision, isn't it?
Soulfire
I think people are taking this slightly overboard. You know, there are always two sides to a story, and each side can seem very different. It's impact is really limited.
noexes89
You know, what if this book of Judas was in the bible, and some other rotting document says the thing that people think now, that Judas was a traitor. In the end, The Bible is about as reliable a source as Million Little Peaces.
elincinerador
i doubt of the reliability of this source... it is supposed to be written by judas, but if judas lived on the year 33, how could've been able to write the godspel in the year 300?? it could be argued that judas's followers were the ones wrote it... but only one copy was made and never came to light until 1700 years after?? this is one of those things which are published to make money... this story of the "lost godspel" is a millionare issue... also you have to ask yourselves why one of the godspels say something but the other four, whose veracuty is not questioned, say another completely different thing... and, another fact to proove the fact that this is only to make money, the year is long and this was brought to light on easter... very suspicious isn't it?... don't be fooled.
The Philosopher Princess
Here is a cliché that is actually not very accurate:

Soulfire wrote:
You know, there are always two sides to a story,

Given any “story”, there will be as many opinions/sides as there are people offering opinions/sides -- so saying there are two is nonsense, inaccurate, or, at the very least, trite.

But, even with as many sides as there are people, that does not mean all sides are equal -- so, implying that they are is definitely inaccurate.

Obviously, it is a challenge to discover whose opinions are closer to Reality, and whose are further from it -- and those are challenges people must work on. But the people who start their “thinkings” with such nonsensical clichés as the above will definitely not rise to such challenges.
~~~~~~~~~~
Given very specific meanings of the concepts of Jesus, Judas, betray, etc. it is either true that Judas did not betray Jesus or it is not true. And people’s opinions on this are not equal -- because some will be opinions that match Reality (are true), some will be opinions that do not match Reality (are false), and still others will be partially true and partially false.
Soulfire
Cliches aren't all accurate, but I think you are being overanalytical there. I think my point was clear. I said there is always two sides of a story, but I never said there weren't more than two.
NemoySpruce
These documents are as reliable as the other documents used to reconstruct the modern bible. The imapct of the gospel of Judas to modern religions is similar to the impact of the discovery that the world was round. Churches will reflexively resist it, but if enough evidence is brought to bear, they will conveniently accept it. It brings no change to the fundamental teachings of christianity. So Judas was in on it? so what. Eventually I believe they will disprove a lot of other things in the Bible..such as, there is scientific evidence that Jesus could have walked on ice, not water... so what? the story teaches of our faith, and how easily we lose it. Jesus never claimed that we need to walk on water to prove our faith. He could have been just monkeying around the ice with Peter, then some people from ashore saw them and told other people that he walked on water. If discoveries like these lessen your belief, then your faith needs to be based on more solid foundations.
The Philosopher Princess
Soulfire wrote:
but I think you are being overanalytical there.

Okay, but I think I’m being exactly the amount of analytical that I want to be -- neither under, nor over.

Do you post stuff that’s worthy of being analyzed? Or do you post stuff that’s just fluff?
~~~~~~~~~~
Soulfire wrote:
I think my point was clear.

I don’t think it’s clear at all. What’s the point of saying there are two (or more) sides to the story? So what? That’s always true, so saying it doesn’t help.
~~~~~~~~~~
If some people are scared of others finding out that the “betrayal” turns out to be false (as a contributor here was willing to admit to us), then there’s a big reason for others to learn the truth of the matter:
Lord Klorel wrote:
With all this discovery's you can disrupt all the knowledge that is given to us by our parents,school,...
[...]
This discovery may be done, but making it public it is a big mistake.
~~~~~~~~~~
Soulfire wrote:
I think people are taking this slightly overboard.

Either Christians are not afraid of the truth, believe their religion will withstand tests of truth, and thus no amount of analyzing is going “overboard” -- or Christians are trying to suppress the truth. And if the latter, then everything they say should be suspect, and maybe the whole religion should be scrapped.

With your dislike of OVERanalysis and going OVERboard, what are you trying to put OVER on us?
maclui
I agree with those that say that this is not changing anything. And I also think this document will be for interest of historians and teologist but us normal people.
Asanga
elincinerador wrote:
i doubt of the reliability of this source... it is supposed to be written by judas, but if judas lived on the year 33, how could've been able to write the godspel in the year 300?? it could be argued that judas's followers were the ones wrote it... but only one copy was made and never came to light until 1700 years after?? this is one of those things which are published to make money... this story of the "lost godspel" is a millionare issue... also you have to ask yourselves why one of the godspels say something but the other four, whose veracuty is not questioned, say another completely different thing... and, another fact to proove the fact that this is only to make money, the year is long and this was brought to light on easter... very suspicious isn't it?... don't be fooled.

I totally agree, so many people do not care about the veracity of the story but are just thrilled by the idea of a new perspective, new insight or another shade of opinion. The Bible was never meant to satisfy man's curiousity or hunger for something new and interesting. It was meant to vehicle the undiluted word of the Creator to man. God does not need to prove a point or defend Himself. His word is Yea and Amen.
biolu
While the world is in war, economy declining, people are just here debating is Judas was a good guy or not...
jajarvin
Judas, Brutus, ... and so on they are represent to modern people a person who is a betrayer.