FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

why does Anime and Managa version so differnet?

Mgccl
I saw Managa verion and Anime version of soo many Japanese comics.. and found them are sooo different..
just like in Fullmetal Alchmist... Greed was complete differnt from the one in Anime...
why do people do that?
I don't really get the reason for it..
then... which one should I follow, Managa of Anime?
Mooty
I guess the people that make the anime add their own style to it. Also to make it suitable as an anime they do need to add in a lot, because speech in manga is fairly limited and theres generally a lot less of it.

But yeah, some mangas do get ruined in the transition from manga to anime.
Scaramanga
I have a better reason... because why on earth would you want to watch the EXACT same story you've already read?!

I find it refreshing in most cases when an anime diverges from the manga (with a few exceptions, such as the end of Hellsing and Negima, both of which were pretty stupid IMO.)

Also, another big reson why a lot of anime are different from the manga is because they often tend to produce the shows faster than the manga is being released. So the anime often passes the manga in storyline and ends up either with a ton of filler, while waiting for the manga to catch-up, or you get a craptacular ending because the producers of the anime didn't know what else to do.
rightclickscott
Most Mangas are the original storylines that the characters followed. When they get syndicated into TV versions, the stories get tweeked, poked, proded, you know, basic editing. Basically, if the creator didn't like how one thing turned out in the original story, he'll edit for the show. Otherwise, the stories may be different just for more content. If you look at Najica Blitz Tactics, the show and the comic are completely different, and follow different missions. While the show was focused souly on humarettes, the comic was based souly on the action and the other missions that didn't involved humarettes at all. So, it's basically how the creators wanted it to be. I have alot of respect for Nobuhiro Watsuki, because he had a great and very long story for Rurouni Kenshin that got cut off early in the show right before the Jinchu series, yet was continued very well in the movies. Still, from all of him syndication, he always held the story itself, despite the little differences, true to everything he did. Wait a minute, what? </rant>
OtakuBoi
In the Hellsing Anime, it was some weird alien-like vampire controlling the freak's, but in the Manga, it was a bunch of Nazis

no clue why they screw it up like that, but I don't really care either, they were both good Wink
Garnet
Since the manga usually comes first, that's the one I would listen to. The characters are a direct result of the imagination of the manga-ka (artist/author) so a team of animators and producers won't be able to predict the behavior of a character as well. Also endings tend to be messed up when it comes to anime since the shows end up being made faster than the books they're based on (like with Inuyasha or Fullmetal Alchemist).
benwhite
A lot of the story line tweaks have to do with quickening the pace for television and to make the story acceptable to various age groups or just the TV audience in general. Basically, to make it more marketable. There are occasions where it's solely artistic changes made by the creator, but a lot of times it's not.
rightclickscott
I try to do both and incorporate the stories as a system of events that didn't happen differently, but more like happened in a different time frame. Otherwise, I'd just go with the TV version, since I don't like to spend money on reading material when I can get pretty much the same thing on Cartoon Network or Anime Network.
aussiemars
I recommend only watching one (anime/manga) and then when it finishes to watch it's counterpart, cause you can get a bit confused. Wheni remember a manga it plays out in my head like an anime, that really freaks me out:D
exarkun
No way to only see one of them!!! Very Happy Actually, you could see both, so that you can have more topic to talk with your friends, and can even had a different on the whole series of story...
Itachi
I tend to follow the manga it is better i think. When i read manga i actually see it as an anime. In my head i add the color and the animation. Its weird but cool in the same sense. That is why i say stick to the manga. The manga comes first.

~Itachi
urbanbuddha
OtakuBoi wrote:
In the Hellsing Anime, it was some weird alien-like vampire controlling the freak's, but in the Manga, it was a bunch of Nazis

no clue why they screw it up like that, but I don't really care either, they were both good Wink

They fixed that up in Hellsing Ultimate, thank god.

As for part of the explanation of the difference between anime and manga there's a lot of variables, so here's my speculations:

1. Constraints - Usually animes will try to mimic their manga counterpart, but they are limited by their budget and time. Sure they can spend the time to create uber~ly stunning graphics, but it does take time, money and good planning.

2. Pilot Season - Most animation studios do not know how successful their series will be to the public, so they would usually plan it out to be however it was set to be.

3. Faster than Manga - Sometimes it is even possible for the anime to be faster than the manga releases. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think "Get Backers", did this because they went past the manga but half-assed the anime series finale leaving people with "WTF? That's it?" instead of what truly happened in the manga

4. Milking a franchise - Oh so lovable about anime, once it gets attention here comes toys, movies, and video games. I don't want to name any animes *coughNarutocough*, but having a FULL season of fillers is just BS to me IMHO.

well if there's anything wrong, it'd be nice to talk about it =)
Scaramanga
urbanbuddha wrote:
4. Milking a franchise - Oh so lovable about anime, once it gets attention here comes toys, movies, and video games. I don't want to name any animes *coughNarutocough*, but having a FULL season of fillers is just BS to me IMHO.

You act like this is a new thing. This has been going on as long as anime has been airing in Japan. You complain about Naruto? What about Inu-Yasha, the majority of which was filler. And as far as milking franchises goes, no one can hold a candle to what Gainax has done with Evangelion. The series is 10 years old and STILL they are releasing games, manga and merchandise about it (to say nothing of the re-releasing that has been done with the DVDs.)

What I don't understand is how on earth people even think that an anime will be anything remotely LIKE the manga. I mean logistical considerations aside (i.e. the manga isn't done yet, low budget concerns, et al) how can it BE?! It's an entirely different medium. It's comparing apples to oranges. Just accept that if an anime is good, it's good, regardless of where it came from. Because I think people are so busy trying to make sure an anime is EXACTLY like their precious manga, that they miss what would otherwise be pretty good entertainment.
urbanbuddha
Scaramanga wrote:
You act like this is a new thing. This has been going on as long as anime has been airing in Japan. You complain about Naruto? What about Inu-Yasha, the majority of which was filler. And as far as milking franchises goes, no one can hold a candle to what Gainax has done with Evangelion. The series is 10 years old and STILL they are releasing games, manga and merchandise about it (to say nothing of the re-releasing that has been done with the DVDs.)

What I don't understand is how on earth people even think that an anime will be anything remotely LIKE the manga. I mean logistical considerations aside (i.e. the manga isn't done yet, low budget concerns, et al) how can it BE?! It's an entirely different medium. It's comparing apples to oranges. Just accept that if an anime is good, it's good, regardless of where it came from. Because I think people are so busy trying to make sure an anime is EXACTLY like their precious manga, that they miss what would otherwise be pretty good entertainment.

Point 1: Haha, I know what you mean. The first and last eva game i had was a typing tutor on my Dreamcast. Just to clear my defence, I only said Naruto since its mainstream ATM meaning more people would know of this. Let's not forget DBZ's good ol' "Let Goku charge up for 5 episodes, shoot it in the next episode and miss, then let him charge up again". As well, there is of course, Pokemon and Sentai/Power Rangers, but I could go on.

Point 2: I agree. So I should of added another point:

Type of medium - Some stories are much better portrayed with animation and audio while others are best to be gawked at in its two-dimensional form. Examples are musical animes like Beck, while stuff like Gon are best to be left in Manga.

Anywho, it is subjective to view whatever medium you like/prefer. There will always be a battle between which is better. I think I could only offer a partial solution; which would be look at your situation like your budget, schedule, and routine. So as Scaramanga said, they're different so its fruitless to really argue the differences. =)
r_y_e_20
i agree with urbanbuddha, publishers in both manga and anime could have their own different interpretation in which some scenes may best suit should it be manga or anime. Its like reading a book and watching its video. You cannot seem to identify where it exactly happens in any medium vice versa.. in the book it's more detailed but in movie it was like shorcut. So author and director have their own view on how to interpret their stories.
matttai
I don't think the producers of the anime necessarily make the manga. I think its a case of the manga creators licensing the anime from the creator and making it as they see fit.
They probably have to chop and change things to fit into a 20 minute format and seasons for TV shows. Also alot of the anime might not be necessarily as exciting so they dont see the need to include it ;p
em0o
The producers of the anime are probably in the dark about what is going to happen in the manga just as much as the audience are. Sure there may be a general storyline but it's the details, the characters that pull us in and make us love it. So, when the storyline of hte anime is catching up to that of the manga, fillers are an opportunity for that. Personally, I dont' care for fillers and I hate the way Naruto in particular has become so slow in the anime (I've stopped watching and basically just read the weekly manga).
yukinohime
Basically overall the difference between manga and anime and why they're different is very similar to the difference between a book and a movie based on a book. Personally I take the opportunity to enjoy both the anime and manga because they are different enough to keep my interest while still being similar enough that I fall in love with the characters, the feelings the story produces, and the story itself. In general one is not necessarily better than the other. With some, a person may enjoy one plot twist in one better than in the other. It's a matter of opinion and everyone deserves to have their own opinion, free will and all that. Very Happy