FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Design Tips

loosu
Though im not a EXPERT in this , i can tell you a few features , that a design should have , for a better user experience .

1. Aesthetic Design is important .
2. Choose , Mostly , BLUE & White as the colors . Black for the font .
3. Choose , a FLUID layout , that better suits resoultions .
4. CSS over tables .
5. Horizontal Navigation .
6. Accesibility to PALM devices .

These will not only make your site pleasant , but also boost your SEO rankings .

Try them .

BooTCaT
http://bootcat.50webs.com
Marston
loosu wrote:
4. CSS over tables .
I've bolded the only one that will actually help with your SEO ranking... Confused
engeland
what's a SEO ranking? Confused
Tex_Arcana
loosu wrote:

Okay I'll give you this. No one will stay very long at an ugly web site. Also a big peeve of mine is too much moving/flashing stuff that goes on and on endlessly, and for the sake of what ever you hold dear make sure that the average person can read the text. Spending a little time checking spelling and grammer would be nice too (I admit this is my trouble).

loosu wrote:

Now how boring is this? Everyone let's make all our web site blue and white with black text. Sorry this just plain sucks and I get sooooo tired of seeing blue and white web sites. The basic rule of thumb here is to use harmonious colors making sure that your text and background contrast sharply (Light text on dark background or dark text on light background). This is to insure that color blind people can still read your site. This "hint" is the only thing I strongly disagree with.

loosu wrote:

Yes please do. Let's get away from "Best viewed at ????X????? resolution". Another thing that makes me have a low oppinion of a web master is if I have to use the bottom(horizonal) scroll bar on my browser. It's pretty easy to fix everything to work at a wide range of resolutions.

loosu wrote:

4. CSS over tables .

I agree with this also but I wish you IE users would either clue M$ that the internet does have standards and M$ did not make them. Not everyone uses their products and never will so it's time to play nice and start making IE conform to those standards(sorry about the rant I've spent the last couple of hours playing around with an XHTML/CSS template that is supposed to work with all browsers including IE, change one thing and have to fix 5 others kinda stuff).

loosu wrote:

What's wrong with vertical navigation? What if you have a gazillion pages on your site? Horizonal drop down menus? Wait isn.t the drop down part verticle navigation?

loosu wrote:

Are we talking business pages here? yeah maybe I'll get to that someday but I can't think of anyone who would use a palm device to access my personal web sites.

One thing you forgot was WAI standards. All those baby boomers are getting old now and hings like being able to increase the size of text comes in handy.
LukeakaDanish
I would have speant ages dissagreing with most of what you said however Tex_Arcana has said it all with the last post!

NO! Blue is not good...its the easy option for people with no creative skills! Choose colours which have assosiations which might help your site...if your visitor thinks "exiting" when they enter the site, and this is what they where looking for, then they will stay and look for all your "exiting" content! Red is way more "exiting" than blue anyday...and even as agressive a colour as red can look proffesional! promise...you just need more skills to make it...

Luke
fireydeviant
You might add that you should PLAN before you design. Work out what kind of menu will suit your site. Will the menu later be expanded? Figure out what kind of content/scripting will be used, and plan accordingly. Without good planning, a design can be a real bother to code or change later on.

Tex_Arcana wrote:

loosu wrote:

4. CSS over tables .

I agree with this also but I wish you IE users would either clue M$ that the internet does have standards and M$ did not make them. Not everyone uses their products and never will so it's time to play nice and start making IE conform to those standards(sorry about the rant I've spent the last couple of hours playing around with an XHTML/CSS template that is supposed to work with all browsers including IE, change one thing and have to fix 5 others kinda stuff).

So true. When I first started using css instead of tables, I worked for HOURS trying to make it work in as many browsers as possible. IE6 is somewhat better about this, but their are still problems. Maybe we can pray for standards compliance in IE7.
Tex_Arcana
Geez, thanks for listenin to me folks. As the post indicated I was venting off a lot of frustration at the time (Sprry loosu) and after typing all that out (and feeling maybe the part 6 ended a little lame) I almost didn't post but then reading it ove I thought the posting had too many valid points (aspecially the blue and white themes, yeesh).

THe theme I'm working on right now is a liquid XHTML/CSS three column layout with header and footer that is 100% compliant with XHTML transitional, CSS, and WAI. I assure you the colors are shades of brown, deep red, beige, gold and ivory. The feeling I'm looking for is somewhat like an old fashiond gentlemans den/office/library with textures (I notice loosu doesn't mention texture) of wood grain and leather. Will I be able to pull it off tastefully, be easy on the eyes, and easy to read by anyone? I'n trying. It sure won't look like a neutral "let's not offend anyone" corporate site though. I'm working pretty hard to make it so.
Sebaci
My tips:

1. Make your website in divs with CSS, not in tables.
2. Don't use many colors on website design, not more than 3, but better 2.
3. Use font whish is easy to read and choose the best color of it.
4. Use CSS
LukeakaDanish
Sebaci wrote:
My tips:

1. Make your website in divs with CSS, not in tables.
2. Don't use many colors on website design, not more than 3, but better 2.
3. Use font whish is easy to read and choose the best color of it.
4. Use CSS

That cant be faulted! I couldnt agree more.

i would add following points to it though

5. Make sure the load time for your page is relatively fast even for people with slow connections
6. Keep the design of your page the same on your entire page - this will also help on keeping the load times low.
7. Choosing colours: Think of what your colours make people think of - A page aimed at old people probalby shouldnt look "sexy" Razz
untouchable
at first you have to have an idea what you want to do
you have to know about the content for exampe a clan page, tutorials
you have to make a conecpt on a paper
you have to know how to programme it
and than youcan beginn

i do the design with photoshop
and the programme with frontpage