FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

change boot order on grub

shamil
I have suse linux enterprise server 9 and winxp installed on my computer. And using grub to boot. I want to change default boot on grub. But don't know how to do it.
djclue917
The boot order, or more appropriately the menu list that GRUB displays is located at /boot/grub/menu.lst. Just change the ordering of the contents in the menu.lst file. Wink
Animal
djclue917 wrote:
The boot order, or more appropriately the menu list that GRUB displays is located at /boot/grub/menu.lst. Just change the ordering of the contents in the menu.lst file. Wink

Yeah, but you need to be extremely careful when you do this. If you make an error, it could stop the computer from booting altogether. Are you trying to change the default boot OS, or do you really need to change the order? If you just want to change the default OS, you can change the default "boot number"

The boot number is based on the list of Operating Systems at the bottom of the Grub boot list. The first one on this list is number 0, then 1, 2, 3.... Just change the default boot value to the correct number on the list and restart. I think this is safer than accidentally corrupting the boot instruction for your OS.
marcmgeronimo
the easiest way is to edit the configuration file of grub... /boot/grub/menu.lst just be careful not to mess up the settings or else you'll have a lot of trouble getting it corrected... =)
ocalhoun
Hello! This is SuSE!
Just fire up YaST and look up this seciton of it: YaST --> miscelanious --> (I forget wether it is called bootup, grub configuration, or bootloader configuration, but its one of those.)
It'll give you a nice gui interface for modifying the bootloader settings, with full contextual help. Alternitavely, if you instaled the help files, just use them to look up 'grub configuration'.

If you screw anything up, and you have a CD, boot from the CD and select 'boot installed system' and the CD will automaticly fix what you messed up.
djclue917
marcmgeronimo wrote:
the easiest way is to edit the configuration file of grub... /boot/grub/menu.lst just be careful not to mess up the settings or else you'll have a lot of trouble getting it corrected... =)

You've just repeated what I had said.
anurag_bhd
ocalhoun wrote:
Hello! This is SuSE!
Just fire up YaST

Exactly, if you are using SuSE, its perhaps due to the various functionalities and advanced GUI based settings. You can, virtually, make all the difficult or easy settings using the YaST 2 manager, from installing applications to updating SuSE to changing the boot configuration.
Just open the YaST manager and go to Miscellaneous>Bootup, and you will be presented with the various editable settings, including changing the boot order and default OS.
internetjobs
it is very risky i think... take much care
ocalhoun
internetjobs wrote:
it is very risky i think... take much care

Not if you use YaST.
But yes, if you're going to edit the file itself, make a backup of that file before you do. That way, if you screw it up, you just need to replace that file (you'll need a bootable CD for that.)
S3nd K3ys
Animal wrote:
If you just want to change the default OS, you can change the default "boot number"

The boot number is based on the list of Operating Systems at the bottom of the Grub boot list. The first one on this list is number 0, then 1, 2, 3.... Just change the default boot value to the correct number on the list and restart. I think this is safer than accidentally corrupting the boot instruction for your OS.

I tried this and it still defaults to linux. Perhaps I'll try the other suggestion of editing the file manually. What can go wrong here, and what is the recovery process in the case of catostrophic system failure??