FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Red Hat 9 server crash after 170 days (segmentation fault)

phx777
we were doing some security maintainance on the companys web/mail server, changing password, limiting ssh access and disabling some accounts... nothing special really... all was done ok

strangely in an hour or so the system started behaving wierd.... segmentation fault was reported on netstat and several other basic commands,... ssh and some services randomyl didnt worked (did, then didnt, they did again,...)

i recommended a reboot of the system,...

the server was remote and the previous admin didnt do everything the way he should really, so i tried to mount cd just in case there a cd in so we wouldnt reboot it (so that it wouldnt boot from cd)

segmentation fault again....

even service, init and stuff like that didnt do anything...
anyway reboot command worked...
but the system didnt come back online...
and now we have it here and we cant even boot...
the hardware seems fine, memory tests passed, raid state ok....

what could be the cause of this and how could i repair the error,...

tnx in advance for anything usefull Wink
modak
phx777 wrote:
we were doing some security maintainance on the companys web/mail server, changing password, limiting ssh access and disabling some accounts... nothing special really... all was done ok

strangely in an hour or so the system started behaving wierd.... segmentation fault was reported on netstat and several other basic commands,... ssh and some services randomyl didnt worked (did, then didnt, they did again,...)

i recommended a reboot of the system,...

the server was remote and the previous admin didnt do everything the way he should really, so i tried to mount cd just in case there a cd in so we wouldnt reboot it (so that it wouldnt boot from cd)

segmentation fault again....

even service, init and stuff like that didnt do anything...
anyway reboot command worked...
but the system didnt come back online...
and now we have it here and we cant even boot...
the hardware seems fine, memory tests passed, raid state ok....

what could be the cause of this and how could i repair the error,...

tnx in advance for anything usefull Wink

Well for starters, I'd recommend you upgrade to something more modern. RedHat probably doesn't even support RedHat 9 anymore. You can try CentOS. Or maybe make a move for Debian/Ubuntu.

Secondly, try to convince the local administrator to try and boot the system from some sort of LiveCD, mount the partition that contains /var, and try to recover the most recent log files of the important services running on the system. The most important ones are /var/log/messages, the syslog, the kernel log, Also get the other service logs, like that of httpd (Apache), sendmail/postfix/whatever mail server you use and so on. Then post these log files somewhere (not on this thread, the log files are really long). Upload the files to some public place and post links to the log files here.

Also a list of the user accounts deleted may be of help. It is a long shot... but you never know.
phx777
well if anyones interested, it was linux.rst.b or something like that... a virus that doesnt have much infection capabilitys, which means someone with access probably put it there, probably on purpose... or someone got access for a limited time and....