FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Firewall Problems

Ester
Has anyone else had this problem. When I try to access Windows Firewall nothing happens. I have tried to find a solution on the web but as yet have found nothing. Help!
orcaz
Can you explain a little bit further about your problem, like what error message did you meet with, or isit when you click windows firewall in the control panel, it juz did not show anything. Also, you should check your services. Go to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services. Check whether Windows Firewall has been started. You will receive an error when u click Windows Firewall if you disabled it, like what I did because I am using another firewall.
Ester
Thanks for repying to my post. Got another problem now, I removed sp2 as per someone elses suggestion, now I can get it to re-install. So I can't tell you what happened when I clicked on windows firewall. I have now installed kerio firewall, do you think that this is a good substitute?
Urahara
What are you using a Firewall for? Personally for home computers, I honestly think firewalls are useless. If you try to play games or something you always have to shut them down then re-activate them cause you think "you will be hacked," most cases I have seen: Firewalls are useless for home computers.

If you're using that computer as a server, get some serious firewalls. The Windows Firewall will probably have to be shut off if you want certain services to function correctly, I wouldn't even worry about that silly Windows Firewall.
Ester
Thanks for the information. I will stick to Kerio as I'm not running into any problems with that. I know that firewalls can stop you doing what you want to do at times, but I still feel safer using something.
orcaz
Urahara wrote:
What are you using a Firewall for? Personally for home computers, I honestly think firewalls are useless. If you try to play games or something you always have to shut them down then re-activate them cause you think "you will be hacked," most cases I have seen: Firewalls are useless for home computers.

That is a very bad misconception that firewalls are useless towards home computers. It is this that many hackers turn towards ignorant home users and rob them of their access to their own computer and their important data. Unless you are only using the comp for gaming or to do unimportant stuff, firewalls are important to all nowadays. I personally use ZoneAlarm, coz I think Windows Firewall is not secure enuff.
ReadyFamily
Nowadays firewalls are very important. Hardware firewalls (routers, etc.) tend to be alot better than software firewalls (Norton Personal, Zone Alarm, etc.) though. Software firewalls can be shut down remotely via the ping of death. Hardware firewalls have a default setting to block ping request. So anyone with broadband Internet needs to have a router I think. Just my personal opinion though. If you play games best bet is to read the documentation and open up the needed ports and leave the rest blocked. Almost every games that has on-line play will list ports needed either in the manual or the web site of the developers.