FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ATI FireGL cards? They're expensive, are they good?

sunjay
Hey,

Just out of curiosity, serious designers and stuff use workstation graphics cards right? but, are they any good for games? okay, maybe it's a lot of money to waste on a workstation graphics card just to play games, but, can they handle games better than than the latest consumer graphics cards?

James
Urahara
No, they suck for games. Their specifications may seem somewhat uber, but they're not made for games at all. I had a nVIDIA Quadro 4, its specifications, such as Clock Speed, were way higher than a 9800 Pro, and the 9800 Pro rocks it hard at games.
psycosquirrel
Laughing This reminds me of my old 5700LE. I softmodded it into a Quatro 1100, which runs all specs higher than the 5700 (and costs around $1000 more), and I saw a HUGE drop in gaming performance. At the same time, my computer multitasked better and compiled graphics better.

Anyway, why would you even buy a workstation card? They are WAY overpriced.
Donutey
mostly they're just support more monitor outputs, and usually run slower than the regular cards that they are based on. (Plus are more expensive) If I remember right www.rojakpot.com had a guide on how to soft-mod pretty much any ATI card into the equivalent FireGL, not like it would do you any good, but you can do it.