FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ever made one?

Simulator
I've made a few, small games that I put out in the school, but have you?
Scott
Yup.

I've made quite a few small games with "Gamemaker", which is good software for a hobbyist. I'm starting to work on some stuff with C++ now, once I figure out how to get Direct X or OpenGL working.

And the site I'm making for frihost is very centered on game development. (It's an oldschool gaming site, and we are going to have a few oldschool game development projects.)
Simulator
Well... I know its another Webforum but check this out

http://forums.hackthissite.org/index.php?showtopic=22494

You do have to know C++
Texas Al
I bet it would be pretty easy to write a game in PHP/MySQL. It would have to be a turn-based strategy game, though, because you'd have to refresh the page (or parts of the page) everytime you do something.

In fact, there are a couple of PHP/MySQL games out there-- like the Kingdoms style ones, the Mafia style ones, and the Legend of the Green Dragon ones.

But they all get boring after a while, because there's just not enough variety and player interaction. And I hate the Kingdoms ones because, give me a break, in the real world you don't send soldiers out to conquer land and then... cart it back to your land and add it on! That totally ruins the realism for me.

Anyway, it shouldn't be that hard to write a game that doesn't suck in PHP/MySQL. Anybody have any wish-list things they'd like to see (or not see) in a web-based strategy game?
Scott
Simulator: Cool, I'm on HTS, my username is Terminal, you might have seen me around.

PHP games have potential to be neat. I was going to make a game that was a cross between a real-time game and a turn based PHP game.

But then I got lazy.
Texas Al
I just installed The Kabal Invasion and a couple of other similar PHP games on my local web server. It's an outer space trading and combat game, and pretty cool.

Of course I'm going to have to mod it a whole lot for added realism (to make it more like a hard sci-fi project I'm working on. Once it's up, I'll post an invite.
masterevil
i know c++ too but i cannot use DirectX or OpenGL. coz they want windows platform SDK and i have 56K(dial-up) so i cannot download it. I'm trying to find it. i'll send you my codes after i find it.
coolclay
Yes I have made a few games in my day. I used gamemaker as well. Gamemaker is awesome, its free and it has so many features. I have downloaded some really good games made by other people with gamemaker and they are just phenomenal.
Monkeydog
I've tried and never finished a game with RPG Maker 2000 :/ tho i still am trying tho i am really lazy at it Very Happy
Boles Roor
Me and a friend are making a sprited RPG. We're aiming at almost the same(probably lower Razz ) quality sprites as Golden Sun or Zelda: The Minish Cap. We already have a story and also the idea of the gameplay, but we're strugling with coding, as we both aren't experienced on that side Sad

Maybe we won't be getting anywhere, but it sure has been fun, and I'm learning alot from it Smile
dionet
well, I think I will do a game in C++, a modification because i΄ve seen a good game, and it has the source code
GTAKing
me and my cousin were making 1 but we stopped
althalus
I've made a few games with The Gamesfactory, mostly simple games like snake-clones or such ^^

I was gonna make an rpg using it once, but it turned out to be a little bit hefty for me Very Happy
Highwayman
I've been using RPG Maker 2000/3 for years now, and have several projects lying deserted on my hard drive. I've made a few little text games in QBASIC, and some in C++, but nothing amazing yet.
Milli Riba
Hey... I did create a game 2 yrs. back Laughing Laughing But lookin back was it even completed Confused I made it using C++ and it was just a text based game that could be played on linux Razz Preety simple to think of Embarassed
Texas Al
Boles Roor wrote:
Me and a friend are making a sprited RPG. We're aiming at almost the same(probably lower Razz ) quality sprites as Golden Sun or Zelda: The Minish Cap. We already have a story and also the idea of the gameplay, but we're strugling with coding, as we both aren't experienced on that side Sad

Maybe we won't be getting anywhere, but it sure has been fun, and I'm learning alot from it Smile

I forget the name of the project, but do a search for Zelda on http://sourceforge.net/. I know for certain there is an active open source project for making a Zelda clone, and IIRC it's actually already in a playable state.
toyzintheattic
I'm currently working on an RPG using RPGMaker2003. It's actually going not too bad. You can say that you're only serious into gamemaking once you've mastered C++ but you know.....RM2K3 is just damn convenient.
Xploder
I made an insometric RTRPG for my summative compsci project in Visual Basic, if you want I can show you some screenshots.
Monkeydog
toyzintheattic wrote:
I'm currently working on an RPG using RPGMaker2003. It's actually going not too bad. You can say that you're only serious into gamemaking once you've mastered C++ but you know.....RM2K3 is just damn convenient.

you'll never finish,we'll never finish,i'll never finish
Xploder
Quote:
you'll never finish,we'll never finish,i'll never finish

The most important thing is don't get discuraged:

Its not that hard start but then when you see a result it'll get easier:
http://img29.imageshack.us/my.php?image=isobetamap1118rw.jpg
Monkeydog
That map look awesome what is it useing C++?

and i've known toys for a while and infact we are both part of my production team and we've been trying to make a game for years...
Xploder
A program is only as good as the programmer using it, with his graphical skills... that was Visual Basic Smile this game has sound effects and only 1 enemy but it’s challenging and has a good story that takes about 10min to finish.
The enemies Pathfind their way through to you and block you off killing you bit by bit if you don't fight back.
Kelcey
I made a small 3D fighting game... I do mean SMALL. I'm gonna put it on my site when I get it up and running.