FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sun Solaris

charredii
Does anyone use this operating System (besides those SUN employee's)??

It seems like a re-vamp of linux, just another distro almost, but I'm not too sure how Solaris separates itself out of the pack.

what'cha got??
Nyizsa
Yes, I use it in work, and I also installed it at home. Yes, it's a Linux-like OS, as you said, in fact, we can call every Unix-based OS Linux-like. If you plan to install it on an x86 computer, take into consideration that it has very poor support of those "win-something" hardware, including modems, onboard sound cards, etc. If you have a SPARC (hmm, not really probable), your choice is Sun Solaris.
My overall opinion is that Solaris is a good, reliable OS. You may want to give it a try.
Donutey
Solaris is mainly made for the SPARC cpus, optimized for it... cool stuff.
amitojduggal
yes solaris 10 version is really good it rocks!!

But i have a problem with configuring the internet will anybody help me out with it.
tuncay
Apparently people are not aware of Solaris.

Solaris is, unarguably, the best enterprise operating system, being developed by Sun Microsystems. It's based on System V, but it's a real-time operating system hence has some differences. It's fully compliant with POSIX.

On the Sun Fire series hardware it has 99.99% uptime guarantee, well this is since kernel patching, ram replacements, cpu replacements etc. do not require any reboot at all.

But of course you should take into account that it's not that user-friendly (it's selective with its friends Smile ), and rather used in Sun Workstations and Servers.
Nyizsa
tuncay wrote:
But of course you should take into account that it's not that user-friendly (it's selective with its friends Smile ), and rather used in Sun Workstations and Servers.

1. I can doubt the first statement. (Or does it simply like me? Smile ) I found Solaris very easy to use. To get it further, Solaris 10 uses the Java Desktop Environment. This is almost the same as Gnome. However, I like CDE more. Maybe I am just used to it. So, don't worry about this part!
2. But you can worry about this. With Sun's hardware, Solaris beats ALL other OSs. But has very little support for Intel architectures, as I wrote earlier. I was unable to set up Internet with Solaris also. Look for hardware vendors that release drivers for Solaris and buy their modem. Don't even try the internal "winmodem" - it won't work. I was also unable to set up sound with integrated sound device.
Good luck anyway!
kronso.23
My first real programming language I learned was Java, I've never tried Solaris... I've dabbled in some linux distros. It appears that Sun has gotten barely any respect from the tech market... if they had more recognition maybe. I think traditional types are intimidated by it, and Java... for this reason I think it doesn't integrate well with other systems... if I ever had the money for a SPARC system I'd try it out...
teko
Quote:
But has very little support for Intel architectures...

have you tried OpenSolaris, I think its improving its support for x86 architectures. It still has a way to go regarding support for wireless adapters etc. but its looking alot better
Commando_Sondre
Solaris pwns, it have a lot of stuff even Microsoft should look at and it's almost the best LINUX/GNU distro out there Very Happy
Studio Madcrow
Commando_Sondre wrote:
Solaris pwns, it have a lot of stuff even Microsoft should look at and it's almost the best LINUX/GNU distro out there Very Happy

Solaris!=Linux. Solaris and Linux are both (at this point) unofficial implementations of Unix, but they are not the same. Linux was designed ultimately for small systems like Desktops and LAN Servers. It can be made to function (quite well) in higher end environments, but it isn't really meant for them. Solaris is a heavy-duty OS intended for High-end servers and (to a lesser extent) technical workstations. Linux is much more PC-friendly than Solaris, but Solaris has better features if you're planning on turning your computer into a wannabe mainframe.
{name here}
Nyizsa wrote:
Yes, I use it in work, and I also installed it at home. Yes, it's a Linux-like OS, as you said, in fact, we can call every Unix-based OS Linux-like. If you plan to install it on an x86 computer, take into consideration that it has very poor support of those "win-something" hardware, including modems, onboard sound cards, etc. If you have a SPARC (hmm, not really probable), your choice is Sun Solaris.
My overall opinion is that Solaris is a good, reliable OS. You may want to give it a try.

The only OSes that are based on Unix are owned by SCO or have been licensed by SCO - that means UnixWare(SCO), OpenServer(SCO), AIX(IBM), and HP-UX(Hewlett-Packard) are just about the only true UNIX systems. All other systems are Unix-like systems.
saurabh.sauron
i have used solaris for some time and found it gr8. the thing is that it is too similar to unix and linux. but linux rules when it comes to ease of use for me. i found solaris somewhat complicated and heavy...(uses java of course.)
hadiwijoyo
Is this OS good for VPN Server + firewall
Studio Madcrow
hadiwijoyo wrote:
Is this OS good for VPN Server + firewall

Yes. Solaris would be awesome for a dedated system like that.
hadiwijoyo
I planned using Sun Fire V215 + Solaris 10 for VPN in my office.
carlospro7
My school uses Solaris as their OS for the Computer Science students. They are reeeeeeeeeeeaaaally nice computers, they're not just desktop computers but also are server computers. I don't think there are any problems with the computers we have because they are always on and because they're not running off any other computer, but Sun made computers.
drioo
I have never used this OS, i don't want to Smile use Linux. Fresh distribs are easy to use and looks nice Smile don't know the price of Solaris, but Linux are free for now Smile I recomment Ubuntu Smile nice distrib.