FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A license to parent?

A license to parent?
I would support this
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
I hate this idea
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
I would like something like it, but not this
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Garnet
The idea for this started when I was listening to a discussion about a 10 year old girl who never has breakfast, stays up until she can't keep her eyes open etc. The response to her story was "Argh I wish we needed a license to be a parent!" I thought this was an interesting idea, what if?

Here are the terms I could think of:
- You would have to be examined before you could become a parent, psychologically, financially etc
- Your privacy could be invaded for this investigation
- If you check out ok, you could become a parent. A regular court system will determine whether or not you can be a parent.
- If you are told you can't, you could challenge the court's decision, or fix your problem and come back for a re-evaluation.
- If you have kids despite not having a license, then they would be put in the care of a foster family immediately*

I'm curious whether or not people would support such an idea. This is purely hypothetical, we're just imagining this scenario.

* In Canada, at least, if you get drunk all the time and your kid isn't properly cared for (for example) they can be taken away. In this case the kid would be taken before this has a chance to happen.
martindecorte
I dislike the idea. When will people talk about a license to live ?
I understand that certain people shouldn't have children, and have children. But there is no acceptable way to prevent them to have children.

The note about Canada is a good idea though.
stopcamerafraud
sadly, today it is a good idea. Have you seen some of the parents out there? I work in the customer service arena. But the downside is, what is a good parent? The ones that would be considered great are probably incredibly shallow and will teach their children to do the same. That's the parent with the perfect hair and the matching daughter. Really, do they teach the right example. So, maybe no right answer.
Garnet
That's a good question, what makes a good parent? When I posted, in my mind I pictured a check list :

No alchohol/drug addictions?- check
You won't be sexually attracted to your kid? - check
Your pet dog didn't die of starvation? -check
You can afford more than Kraft dinner for your kid? -check

That sort of thing. By no means am I myself suggesting that people shouldn't have kids if they don't meet that criteria, but we'll assume that's what the court might look at. Or other things too depending, but I hope that the court wouldn't simply let nice looking folks have kids only.
Raffles
This sort of thing alread goes on, and for good reson, when adults want to adopt a child. Checks made about their history, mental state, financial state etc. These checks are very personal, but are obviously neccessary.
byt
this would just make a big gap between those that can and those that can't have kids with those that can't being considered "unfit" to be parents and those that choose not to have kids and those that can't have them for medical reasons being seen to be "unfit" too. it would also make people that don't want kids forced to have them to fit in the "fit" class.
alkady
Its going to make things harder since procreation will be low. Alot of people arent as financially suited to raise kids, But they do so anyway and so on. If there is a license, There will be less people on earth, and with an aging population, A license isnt a good idea. Sure there is horrible parents, But that is only 1 in so many.
jabapyth
Yes, I think there should be a lisence to become a parent. I say that the real issue is "what are the qualifications?", which would be very hard to decide
Confused
dz9c
jabapyth wrote:
Yes, I think there should be a lisence to become a parent. I say that the real issue is "what are the qualifications?", which would be very hard to decide
Confused

You have to take a parent exam lol
the disturbed
i think its a fabulous idea, less fosterhomes, less kids with no values and no respect, less abortions, less hunger, less poverty you name it it would make things sooo much better
jeremoi
I really like the idea. Then those "World's greatest dad" would be more true.

What about those who vacation in a country that has such a system?
the_mariska
Well, a licence is not a good idea, the population is low anyway Razz But I guess there should be special courses - mandatory for all pregnant women and their partners. I think this would prepare them even a bit for such a demanding duty Very Happy
jabapyth
You should make this into a poll.
thiamshui
hmm.. in countries where there is a declining birth rate, it doesn't seem to be a good idea.. however, by regulating 'parentship', we can reduce potential problems such as child-abuse, no money to support family, etc etc which can be good..

however though, people hav their own rights to have children.. regulating may or may not be a good idea.. guess it's up to the governments to decide..
godam64
people to easy to get a relation and get pregnant. i think the law should be changed where free sex is forbiden. then the bad parents should get punishment rotten in the jails. so there are no more need of parents lisence.
silvermesh
as a parent I have to say that I'm entirely apalled by even the slightest suggestion that there is ever such a thing as being "financially capable" of raising children. this is the most classist slander I've heard in some time.

the prerequisite for the test should include: no sex offenses
the test should be something quite simple. you put the potential parent through various parenting situations, and they have to prove that they are capable of doing the proper thing. there are many right answers, but the wrong ones stick out like daggers.

basically there is no intellectual requirement or anything measurable other than the persons PARENTING ability. nothing else should be taken into consideration.
Garnet
byt wrote:
this would just make a big gap between those that can and those that can't have kids with those that can't being considered "unfit" to be parents and those that choose not to have kids and those that can't have them for medical reasons being seen to be "unfit" too. it would also make people that don't want kids forced to have them to fit in the "fit" class.

I can't argue that, there's definitely a good possibility that there would be a huge rift between parents and people who don't have kids. I guess everyone would be suspicious of people who don't have them, though since it could be private no one would ever know for sure. It would be like "Oh ho! She doesn't have kids? She's not babysitting my children!" It could work in some countries where it's common for couples to choose not to have kids, but this would be a problem for everywhere else for sure.

silvermesh wrote:
as a parent I have to say that I'm entirely apalled by even the slightest suggestion that there is ever such a thing as being "financially capable" of raising children. this is the most classist slander I've heard in some time.

I truly didn't mean to suggest that the parents should be able to afford a certain lifestyle for their kids. I do however think that the parent should able to feed more than themselves before having a child to provide for as well. I volunteer at a hospital and I fequently see kids who without some kind of intervention would have died within a few weeks from a lack of food - so yes I think it's possible to not be financially capable of having kids. If you are able to feed both yourself and you kid than to me at least, that would be enough money to happily raise a child.
Kael
First of all, I dont believe that people's finances should be looked at as an issue. That is just complete nonsense. However:

Let me tell you whts wrong with the world today ..... Parents. First of all, there are plenty of people out there who simply dont know how to raise their kids. They wind up growing up to have no respect, no manners, and no conviction.

I was in the grocery store with my girlfriend and we heard a kid screaming bloody murder, so we look over into the nexty aisle to check it out. The kid is pulling things off of shelves, trying to open this and that and, of course, the mother is trying to tell him no. She tells him to behave and immediately the child tells her 'no' and 'you shut up'. I couldnt believe it. If I had done that my mother would have spanked my ass in front of everyone and sent me out to the car to wait. Instead, this lady BRIBES her child with candy ....... 'Positive Reinforcement' ...... BULL. What is does is teach the kid that you can act up and get what you want.

These days you cant spank your child in public. Once again ..... ding ding ding ....... you got it .... the government wants to control that also. So what happens? It's like another witch hunt. Someone who doesnt believe in spanking your kids calls DHR and youre being investigated. Why? Because everyone else is trying to make you do what they think is right.

Anyway, I'm getting slightly off topic. I think, no ... I know that there are people who are completely unfit to have children of their own. I think that maybe some people need to be watched a little more closely, or go to parenting classes or something, I dont know. I will tell you one thing though. If something like this were to happen it would, of course, be one more thing for the government to abuse, and while I think it could be a good idea, it certainly wouldnt work out with a corrupt government Wink