FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

desktop problem

greendayonline.co.nr
A vertical line about 1/4 inch wide has suddenly appeared in the middle of my desktop. Any help on getting rid of it appreciated.
elekis
Take a printscreen. if the line is not on the picture it's probably the screen (hardware I mean) . sorry.

a+++
Bones
Is it only on the desktop, or can you see the line when running programs as well?
My guess is that the monitor is going bad, but you could try the monitor on a different pc and see if the line is still there. You could try updating the video drivers as they may have been corrupted (not really common but it happens)
Mr Smith
Ooh man it sucks really bad having to get a new monitor jjst because of that. Try de-gausing your screen.

It is usually do-able when you go into the screen's settings - other - degaus.

The screen will flicker, but this de-magnetizes it.
greendayonline.co.nr
thanks... i tried waht you both said..

i tried the the degausing thing but it didnt workm so i decided to try the monitor on my laptop...and everything worked perfectly, so i plugged it back into my pc and everything works fine again.

I dunno what the problem was cos i restarted the computer 3 or four times with the black strip on, but anyway im not complaining Laughing i can get some more use use out of it before having to buy a new monitor

anyway guys,

thanks
mages4life
It sounds like it might have been a bad connection on your video card. If it happens again I would suggest removing your video card from the slot and cleaning the contacts with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Also, clean out the slot using canned air. I'm thinking you might have shifted the card enough to fix the bad connection when you unplugged/plugged the video cable.