You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Classical Music Critiques

Think you can make a great classical music critique? You do? Start here then.
Follow my example:

I'm going to critique the Fourth Movement of Ludwig van Beethoven's Ninth Symphony in D Minor

Critique Follows:

It's absolutely phenomenal! The most emotional part to me is the Fourth Movement. It starts in a lower, more aggressive scale with timpani tremolos and trumpet blasts and then the double-basses playing a very low part followed by more timpani tremolos and trumpet blasts. Then it eventually makes it way to the cello solo playing the Ode to Joy theme we all know and love. After the cello finishes the them, the double-basses, violas, violins, oboes, bassoons, and clarinets join. After the theme is completed that time, the instruments step up 2 and a half steps to G major. After that theme is completed, there comes the full orchestra part. After the theme is completed, it goes back to the opening theme. Then a baritone sings a solo. "O Freunde! Nicht diese Töne! Laßt uns anghemerene, anstimmen" The baritone then sings the theme, accompanied by pizzicato strings and woodwinds.

After he finishes the first verse of the theme, the full chorus joins and finishes. Afterward, a quartet of singers sings the first verse in harmony with different text. The chorus finishes the verse. Then, the same quartet sings a new theme with new text. After singing the first verse, the chorus finishes with many repeats. Then the opening theme is heard. There is a slight period of silence until the bassoons play a staccato theme finallt accompanied by flutes, a piccolo, a triange, cymbals, and the brass. After the theme's finished a tenor sings a solo. The men of the chorus then also join. After the theme is finished, We hear about 2 minutes of strings, brass, and woodwind playing an anxious-like melody that concludes with long, arpeggio skips.

Afterward, the French horns play a fanfare with woodwinds. At the climax of the fanfare, the strings join in. When that theme finishes we hear the mighty, all known Ode to Joy theme, sang by full chorus along with the full orchestra. After that, the men of the chorus sing a new verse, often being echoed by the women. This takes place for about nine minutes until we hear soloists singing the original text with new music. After a note is held for 6 measures, The strings play a tremolo passage that is molto accelerando (becoming faster and faster) and then full orchestra and chorus. At the end, the chorus slows. After the chorus's last note, the orchestra plays the theme over and over. The finale is a loud timpani roll. The song then ends.

I hope you liked my wonderful review.

~ Tyler