FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Proof Greenday arnt Punk

Yantaal
http://greendayfail.ytmnd.com/
AftershockVibe
More like proof that people place the opinions of the famous far too highly.
Blaster
They get too much popularity. They don't write there own songs for one thing and they just are over played. I strongley dislike the band a lot.
Marston
What the hell is Diggle?
Yantaal
Diggle is from .... some other punk band. You know, not that big....

but he said what everyone is thinking, they aint punk Very Happy
blackheart
Blaster wrote:
They get too much popularity. They don't write there own songs for one thing and they just are over played. I strongley dislike the band a lot.

I'll agree their American idiot is overplayed, but they have always written their own songs. Perhaps there's one or two exceptions, but this could be said for any band.
blackheart
Yantaal wrote:

but he said what everyone is thinking, they aint punk Very Happy

Their early stuff is still punk in my books. Like all definitions it isn't black and white. And I think he may have mean "Dookie", lol.

And their new stuff, as said by Billy Joe, their has gone mainstream to help get their "message" across to the majority of the world - which is mainstream. Even if they resent the majority of their fan base now being twelve year olds...

And I don't agree with the move at all...
Marston
GG Allin is cool.

But like, I don't need this Diggle chap to state the obvious.

I mean, unless you're completley tone-deaf, you'd know that Greenday just plain aren't punk. American Idiot also became an annoying song after immediatley.
sirmikey
Problem with discussions like this is that not enough people know what punk actually is. Greenday for one, isn't punk. Another punk band? Blink-182? No, they're not punk. Listen to something from The Libertines, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones - then you'll have some punk. Greenday are just pop. Pop-punk. Like Good Charlotte. Who are utter crap, btw.
blackheart
sirmikey wrote:
Problem with discussions like this is that not enough people know what punk actually is. Greenday for one, isn't punk. Another punk band? Blink-182? No, they're not punk. Listen to something from The Libertines, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones - then you'll have some punk. Greenday are just pop. Pop-punk. Like Good Charlotte. Who are utter crap, btw.

Trust me honeybunch, I know the genre.
And they were good in the early nineties.

"Nice Guys Finis Last" is on my "favourites" playlist right next to everything from Op. Ivy, to Bikini Kill/X-Ray Spex, to the Damned, to Dead Kennedies, to... etcetera
bladesage
They aren't supposed to be punk rock. I, as many others do, have always considered them to be alternative rock, like linkin' park.

They cannot fail at something they don't try. It's the way life is. Why say that they're not capable of something they wouldn't really want to try?

I don't like green day, too much swearing. I hate swearing, though i do like eminem. He actually has a point to his vulgarity.
Marston
sirmikey wrote:
Pop-punk. Like Good Charlotte. Who are utter crap, btw.
You can't really describe Greenday and Good Charlotte as punk in any form.

Unless it's a new genre called "not-punk".
Saryon
Greenday is pop-punk ye, not really punk. ABout their song,s they write most of them theirselves, but exceptions are possible. To be honest, I don't really like American Idiot, their new album. It's way too much overplayed here.
Their old songs are still the best...
shisamandisa
Opinion from a former Green Day fan. Green Day was very good when they were completely unpopular. Dookie was amazing as well as 1039, Kerplunk, Insomniac, Nimrod was alright, Waring, IS was great. Shenanigans was really bad, and American Idiot blows. Now i listen to their old songs on occasion, I listen to Smashing Pumpkins, Rage against the Machine, and other not overplayed artists as of now.
Mr Smith
1. The webite sucks
2. I can't read it
3. You completely suck if you think greenday aint punk/sucks.
4. Who the HECK is griffin!
Insanity
I'm going to stay by my usual style and disregard anything on that ytmnd site as "proof".
hoho
so good!!!!!!!!!!!
blackheart
Mr Smith wrote:
1. The webite sucks
2. I can't read it

A real greenday fan would not have stencil-work from "American Idiot" in their signature.
Hence no-one will take your defence seriously.
Could you hum me the tune to "Nice Guys Finish Last", or tell me what year they grouped together?
Question
anxiety1
thing is guys,

does it really matter if greenday are punk?

if your a fan fair enough

if you aint then o well, stop complaininG!
Marston
Mr Smith wrote:
Roflcopter!11!!

You tickle my fancy.
Jayfarer
They can only be considered punk if you believe the meaning of punk has changed.
blackheart
Jayfarer wrote:
They can only be considered punk if you believe the meaning of punk has changed.

The problem lies more in that they have changed... for the worse.
Helios
Money.. money.. and more money Wink
Money = fans, thus more fans = more money.
More fans? Mainstream!
Mainstream? Pop! Very Happy
Pop?
GD: "What was the genre we were playing before?" Eh?
"Oh right! Black metal! Let's save it for the interviews! woot! Now let's go pick up our Money Very Happy"

I'm not a fan of the punk genre, but I'd say that those Green dudes aren't loyal to this 'Bible of Punk' or whatever all punks are loyal too. Razz
Marston
Helios wrote:
More fans? Mainstream!
Nein. There's lots of really popular "underground" punk bands - I think that a band only becomes mainstream when they start having like, huge clothing lines (including shoes, backpacks, high heels, snowboarding gloves etc.) *cough* Misfits Resurection *cough*, or when they start changing song lyrics, messages etc. just to appease the general public.

You know?
Eyre
Green Day used to be punk. Now i don't really know what they are.
Helios
Marston wrote:
Helios wrote:
More fans? Mainstream!
Nein. There's lots of really popular "underground" punk bands - I think that a band only becomes mainstream when they start having like, huge clothing lines (including shoes, backpacks, high heels, snowboarding gloves etc.) *cough* Misfits Resurection *cough*, or when they start changing song lyrics, messages etc. just to appease the general public.

You know?

Yes. That plus the money Wink
ammo
I used to like greenday with some of there older stuff now it seems like theyve sold out. There not very good, alot of their music doesnt involve much talent with there instruments at all.

Shocked
blackheart
ammo wrote:
I used to like greenday with some of there older stuff now it seems like theyve sold out. There not very good, alot of their music doesnt involve much talent with there instruments at all.

Shocked

I'm not saying the two bands are at all comparable, but the same could be said about AC/DC and their instruments. The first rock song (apart from Deep Purple's SOTW) most guitarists ever co-ordinate their fingers to is TNT. So that in itself isn't a particuly strong argument, in terms of undermining a band.
TeenZine
Thats just gay im sorry but i t is
Marston
Helios wrote:
Marston wrote:
Helios wrote:
More fans? Mainstream!

You know?

Yes. That plus the money Wink
Meh, lots of good punk bands got alot of money, like (I suppose) the Clash.
Mr Smith
blackheart wrote:
Mr Smith wrote:
1. The webite sucks
2. I can't read it

A real greenday fan would not have stencil-work from "American Idiot" in their signature.
Hence no-one will take your defence seriously.
Could you hum me the tune to "Nice Guys Finish Last", or tell me what year they grouped together?
:?:

Nice guys finnish last... when you run outta gas... :P

And they've been a band for 16 years (So Billie said on the bullet in a bible DVD)
Doswa
hmmm...i guess this topic comes up with every Punk ish band that makes it big time and actually starts pulling in some money...I really dont care much for the actuall article/web site thing that started this thread, it seemed like a load of shit lol. but for sure greenday have changed their musical style i mean...they now have 2 guitarists and a full brass piece come along to their concerts now! DUH! but i agree with the other guy who wrote this before... if your a fan then good! and if your not then who cares? the songs u like are probably over played on the radio aswell! each to his own
Marston
Doswa wrote:
hmmm...i guess this topic comes up with every Punk ish band that makes it big time and actually starts pulling in some money...I really dont care much for the actuall article/web site thing that started this thread, it seemed like a load of **** lol. but for sure greenday have changed their musical style i mean...they now have 2 guitarists and a full brass piece come along to their concerts now! DUH! but i agree with the other guy who wrote this before... if your a fan then good! and if your not then who cares? the songs u like are probably over played on the radio aswell! each to his own
Hey, it's the forum Jesus! He resurrected a dead topic! Razz
kuhdorf
its nromaly that a punkband get more a poprock band when they are more populary
clydejaw
Punk was dead ages ago. Revival bands failed. Old punk bands are getting in touch with their feminim side... and heading to that pop punk side (some people call it emo)... New punks think their punk when really theyre just pop... just give it up.. punks dead ;>
mattyj
Green Day is one of my all time fav bands...

They arent punk? So What...ITs just a label, its not like "oh crap i cant listen to that coz it doesnt fit the label of punk" ... Who f'in cares?

And for the record a lot of their earlier stuff was punk

ITs idiot producers and morons that buy the music and go "oh this is punk" for bands like Blink, Crap Charlotte, Offspring etc, that the label gets attached to them in the first place, its not the bands themselves...
fiendskull9
Quote:

oh lord i hope that was a joke

The Buzzcocks were one of the dominating mid to late 70's punk bands
dirkvb
No comment about link.
But this remark
Greenday is Punk-Rock or Grunge
But no punk you know.

Greetz
liljp617
Proof wasn't really needed lol

Another sell out band.
mattyj
dirkvb wrote:
No comment about link.
But this remark
Greenday is Punk-Rock or Grunge
But no punk you know.

Greetz

They are not Grunge Rolling Eyes

They play 3 power chords, they are pop punk, not Grunge
Arno v. Lumig
Who gives a shit? As long as it sounds good it's okay, no matter how simple or not-punk it is. That is like saying "Erik Satie is not punk!". Of course Satie is not punk, it's classical music.
Noone ever claimed that Green Day is punk, so what is your problem?
fiendskull9
many many many have claimed they are punk rock
but the "Punk-rock" label has become useless today
just call it rock
liljp617
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
Who gives a shit? As long as it sounds good it's okay, no matter how simple or not-punk it is. That is like saying "Erik Satie is not punk!". Of course Satie is not punk, it's classical music.
Noone ever claimed that Green Day is punk, so what is your problem?

A) It doesn't sound good. It is mediocre at best. There is zero complexity to their music and the singing is pretty damn bad. They have no variation in their songs. They think their political statements using music matter (it mattered during Vietnam and such; they use it to gain publicity and money). They're horrid any way you look at it.
B) Apparently you haven't listened around much if you think nobody has claimed Green Day to be punk.