FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wireless LAN...

k_s_baskar
Hi..
i am having computers in my office and home. I wish to network these computers with wireless lan. The distance between my home n office is 300 mtrs. is there is any possibilities to connect these computers.??
AftershockVibe
300m is too far. WLANs are only designed for use are a maximum range of 100m. While you might be able to get further with a good aerial, clear skies and a southerly wind you're never going to get a good connection rate 300m away I'm afriad.

If your home and office both have broadband internet access you might want to setting up some sort of FTP or SSH server on both instead.
SoftStag
You might get away with it if there is line of sight between the buildings. You will need 2 good external wireless access points that can act as a bridge and you may also need to put directional aerials between the two. 300m is pushing the limits though.
ml
if you have a line of sight, i would suggest you try building two Do-it-yourself Wlan-Antennas
here is a good example i found on the net:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/elepal/antenna1.html
there are other types of 'do-it-yourself antennas', just google wlan quad antenna[/quote]
lordpe
Everything it's possible lots of people says!

Yes, it's possible, just try out different things as they mentioned above.

I have no experince on wireless, hoewer I got plenty experince on giving technical support! Wink
Clash
k_s_baskar wrote:
Hi..
i am having computers in my office and home. I wish to network these computers with wireless lan. The distance between my home n office is 300 mtrs. is there is any possibilities to connect these computers.??
There are a number of wasy of doing this with cables as well. First of all you can use RG58 (coax) which as far as I remember will extend to about 300m. Unfortunately you will be limited to 10Mbps transfer rate, which may be too slow for your purposes.

To do it with CAT5, there are a couple of ways. CAT5 is good for about 80m, and possibly 100m at a stretch. Taking 80m as the limit, you can extend this with a booster, but these are quite expensive and you would need at least two to make the connection. Another way is to put in a network switch at 80m intervals. Providing that you have not already got too many switches on the system, this will work quite well assuming that you have access to the cable at those intervals, as well as some way to get power to the switches.
Clash
If both networks are on broadband, you can use Windows XP's Remote Desktop to connect to computer(s) in your office. This will even work if your home is on dial up and your office is on braodband (although it will be slower).

You will need a public IP address for each of the computers that you wish to access, you will then need to set up access through your NAT to get access to the remote PC and assign the IP address to it.

Once you have it set up, you just enter the IP address of the PC you want to connect to in the remote access module c:\windows\system32\mstsc.exe Enter the username and password for the remote user you have already set up on the pc you wish to connect to, and hey presto you are looking at the screen of the computer in your office.

If you need to access other computers in your office and you have only one public IP address, then you set up mstsc on the PC you can connect to, and use the private IP addresses of the PC's in your office that you wish to control. In effect you are running a remote desktop session within a remote desktop session. There should be no appreciable lag, as your internal network should be a lot faster than the braodband connection.
powerslave
k_s_baskar wrote:
Hi..
300 metres, a very long distance for a wlan but you can extend the network range by "bridges" by securing it by WEP. Either it is easy to install a wlan with bridges it is much easier to hack the password. You should be careful -really careful- and my recommendation is don't extend the distance too much unless all computers are in the same building.
mages4life
I have seen setups go about this far, I doubt if they went any further. They were using home built directional antennas like the ones mentioned above and line of sight is a must. Also, good quality cisco equiptment was used. Good luck with your network, these are always difficult to go long distances like this, but I have seen it done in a fairly cost effective way.
djfreakske
in japan there are wlan accesspoints available with a range of 1000 metres. they are much better offcourse
Slick
providing you have the cash anything is possible...

if you have good line of site use microwave links!

with having radio experience a small horn (used to transmit the microwave beam) can easily go a mile... many upto 5 miles!

there are so many different systems available!!

ive seen wifi links that can go over a mile using directional yogi (check spelling) ariels! they tend to give a signal gain of +6 to +8 which will greatly increase the distance!

having a good recieving ariel also helps!

search around its all really a case of money!
Jamatu
Is there a direct line of site between your office computer and your home computer? If not what’s in the way, hills/houses/offices etc. Also what materials are the buildings made out of if their are obstacles. You can use metallic and glass (I think) surfaces to 'bounce' the signal to its destination.

Read up about cantennas you'll find an example site here, many more can be found on the web.
mOrpheuS
Slick wrote:
directional yogi (check spelling) ariels!

You mean a "Yagi" antenna, right ? Very Happy

Although "Yogi" antenna does exist, it's only a brand name.
"Yagi" is the technical name for the class of antennas, which is what I'm sure you meant. Wink
NGRU-Kamikazie
No no no your going about it all wrong. Sure the best way to do this is to have a wireless router connected by wire to another wireless router. If you want internet in the mix get a standard 5 port router and hook the internet into that one then the 2 wireless into that one aswell. My friend and I managed to get it all working with minimal trouble between our houses. The big problem come sinto play tho with getting everything working in conjuction with each other.

Despite the fact your computer might see the wireless network its not always going to see the wired one connecting the 2 wirelesses. Your best bet tho might just be to go fullly wired and just have ports in the most common workplaces. have CAT-5E ports in your wall where you can just plug in. They even make self retracting cables to speed this along. unplug it and push a button, and walah its all spooled up again.

If you do go wireless make sure you put a big password on there as I have heard stores of people using WiFi sniffers to find the network and then just bruteforcing into it to gain access to anything ranging from the internet to all of your files.

Well thats just my 2 cents
SoftStag
NGRU-Kamikazie wrote:
No no no your going about it all wrong. Sure the best way to do this is to have a wireless router connected by wire to another wireless router. If you want internet in the mix get a standard 5 port router and hook the internet into that one then the 2 wireless into that one aswell. My friend and I managed to get it all working with minimal trouble between our houses. The big problem come sinto play tho with getting everything working in conjuction with each other.

Despite the fact your computer might see the wireless network its not always going to see the wired one connecting the 2 wirelesses. Your best bet tho might just be to go fullly wired and just have ports in the most common workplaces. have CAT-5E ports in your wall where you can just plug in. They even make self retracting cables to speed this along. unplug it and push a button, and walah its all spooled up again.

If you do go wireless make sure you put a big password on there as I have heard stores of people using WiFi sniffers to find the network and then just bruteforcing into it to gain access to anything ranging from the internet to all of your files.

Well thats just my 2 cents

I'm not sure that a wired connection between 2 offices so far appart is going to be feasible. If it was, I doubt the question would have been asked. The problem is, the 2 offices are not adjacent, so a cable would cross other people's property. A wireless solution is what is required.
grantmaster
Do you have Line of Sight?

If so then you could check out the products from PROXIM.

Google and you will find...

Also of note, my Linksys Extreme G wireless router gets most of 300meters...
calvinchin
Hi there,

However, wireless security has to be tighten. Use the mose WEP bit the better !