FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WoW... An Online RPG Funeral Gets Ambushed

Thug
World of Warcraft or otherwise known as simply, WoW is one of the most popular and successful computer games in history. It is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game that 6 million people pay $10 -15 per month to play. This type of popularity creates a sample size that is large enough to reflect the forces that control it. In Layman's terms, with this many people playing this online game at any given time human nature tends to get a stronger representation.

The first "reality" check was a bug that caused a plague to outbreak and affect people's characters in certain cases instantly killing any player below a certain level.

The second "reality" check was when this group of Warcraft players otherwise known as a guild interrupted a memorial service. Apparently, some dude dies in real life who is a popular WoW player. The people in the game think it would be nice to have a memorial for the player so they log into his account, take the character to a lake, and set it up for everyone to come pay their respects.

A bunch of dudes decide this would be a great time to ambush everyone so they run over a hill, kill the dead guy's character, and then wipe out everyone who was there to show their respects. They filmed the whole thing and put it on the net for everyone to see.

Link to the video -->>

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7667194685876573666&q=serenity+now

Source: Ircspy.com

What are yall toughts on this because i know there are some WoW players on this site
Helios
Nice Smile

Seeing all the dead bodies makes me happy.
carriage_return
The idea, the setup, the execution ...

This has to be one of the funnies things I've ever witnessed during my short and unimportant life at mmorps. It's not the unpoluted dark humor, it's not the sazzy way of the execution, it's not even the panicked audience running for their lives at a funeral!, nor the excellent soundtrack and film editing.

I would say it's the combination of all those things, with a touch of humor in the part of those guys that made that video hilarious. Now, I don't know how World of Warcraft plays, never seen it even, but I understand that their actions might have spoiled the fun of several other players, but usually there are special servers for Player vs Player combat and the like, so people are usually warned beforehand.

Bottom line is, besides having a great time with that video I think I should say, I'm really less concerned about those guys doing stunts like that, than about the overall creepiness of people celebrating a funeral inside a mmorpg. Specially when that funeral is for real. I mean really, if you want to have fun (because this had nothing to do with the diseased of course .. like he/she would be able to enjoy the service?!) do so, but remember it's just a game kids.

carriage_return
silence086
Lmfao! I find that extremely hilarious. I could see myself being the evil guys ruining the funeral...cause im evil hehe. Yea ive been playing WoW and ten billion other mmorpg/fps for years and years! I love....since im so used to online games....if i ever play a offline game it bothers me...since im so used to online lol...kinda corny! I havent watched the video yet but im about to.

Wow this is funny!
TonkPilz
FFs i hate this cind of events in any game god damn it a funeral for a real person in a virtual environment thats just lame...

its even worse that the worlds 1st online marriage in diablo...
get a grip...
Jim_the_cat
This is rare, an online funeral
I wonder if WoW was the first to do this
Mumpay
lol wow that guild decimated that huge crowd right quick, heh.

was majorly disrespectful though. is it so wrong to bring in a bit of RL into games now and then? so they're taking it a bit far, but sometimes playing the game endlessly with nothing new happening can get boring, it would have been a nice change of pace.

ah well, the noobs ruin everything in the end i guess Wink
shachaoshu
I am a wow player in china. and the server status is always full. so i had to queue a long time to enter the realm. Confused
beside, i must face the risk of lose connection. Evil or Very Mad
Saryon
I just think this is pathetic. I'm not sure if these people still know what real life is and what is not. I mean, an ingame memorial for someone who passes away.....
I play WoW muself too, but still, there are limits...
Jayfarer
Although an in-game marriage/funeral/whatever is pretty silly, it's an even stupider move to crash one. If you don't like it, fine, don't attend it. You don't have to impose your attitude on everyone else because you disagree. It's not like it's an important task to go on a crusade to end all virtual ceremonies.
gothicgeek
Personally, I think that video is a terrible glorification of lofty dispassion.

Sure, the game may not be real, but the feelings the people who knew the person who died WERE. So they need closure because a friend DIED? When people start finding things wrong with that, then there is no human compassion anymore.

This is the kind of immature bull**** people are always pulling on MMORPGs. Either respect people's grief or go F**K yourself. With some sandpaper.
trinity74
hello
I play to wow too and i think that it is a very good game!!(scuse me if there are some mistakes but i'am french so i can't speak and write english very well but i will try!!)well, i think that wow has a good realisation.It has a good gameplay and the game is very fun!!there are about 5 000 000 of players!!it's enormous!!

but, i think that the subscription is a bit expensive!!25 per month it's not very easy to pay for all people!!

if you want to play with me: i play on the french server : archimonde
i have a paladin lvl7 whose name is Oromis!
Good play and if you have some question don't hesitate!!!
TonkPilz
Jayfarer wrote:
Although an in-game marriage/funeral/whatever is pretty silly, it's an even stupider move to crash one. If you don't like it, fine, don't attend it. You don't have to impose your attitude on everyone else because you disagree. It's not like it's an important task to go on a crusade to end all virtual ceremonies.

totaly agree !
Ljsk
TonkPilz wrote:
Jayfarer wrote:

totaly agree !

Totally agree with the agreement.
Josso
I think the guy that is dead is probably up there laughing to be honest. No dis-respect just well executed humour Laughing
squeakypants
That was great. I don't know why people got so pissed, I mean it's an MMO! Not only that, but isn't the point to battle? That looked like much more fun than being in a line to type "/bow" to another player. Just goes to show why MMOs are horrible games.
alkady
Now this is what I call Participation, What Has been dones seems cruel, But you have to give credit that these people actually participated in a mass amount. How rare is that? in many Multiplayer games, Never have I seen that many people in only 2 Camps.

But at the same time it puts ideas in my head, Perhaps I'll be the next person to ambush a funeral or perhaps it will be you?
Mooty
online funerals are really weird. But i guess if youve known the guy for ages, then its kind of acceptable.

The movie was little weird, but the misfits song was cool.

And yeah i guess it was pretty disrespectful, but it was probably quite funny for the people doing it... Confused
Saryon
Well, like you're all saying it's a MMORPG, and I agree that the feelings for that person who passed away are real. But because it's a MMORPG, you have to face the fact that you're not alone in the gameworld, so there are a lot of people who just want to have fun, and to ambush people. It's still a game remember....

Btw, if they would have been smart, they would have done the funeral in a friendly area or something like that....

trinity74 wrote:
25 per month it's not very easy to pay for all people!!

Strange, I only pay 13.5 a month Very Happy
Hanpusu-kun
HAHHAHA, that was so god damn lame and so god damn funny!
anhstar
WoW is a great game, but like any other games, there are immature people. Some might say that to have a funeral in a game is lame and the people who attend it need to be punished. Others might say, its the only way for them to pay hommage to the person, and by attacking like that is a reprehensible move.

I say, they should of keep it secret and not lets the other faction know about it.
mtoni
hahaha sooooo nice....
really, i dont understand it... why would you pay respect to someone you only know in a virtual world...
Those ppl are stuck in their imaginary world and they need to come out of it..
I'm a hardcore game too, but I think I know where to draw the line.
well, I'm at the gankers side
Deji
i think its hillarious

people take online games far far too seriously... my friends run raids like thats kinda stuff (not on the same scale) just to annoy people and because they can..

if you dont like people doing that kinda thing fight back its kinda the whole point of the game Shocked
Timoses
That is crazy.

REally, it is.
I have never played WOW and don't really understand how so many people
are addicted to it. Yes, addicted. It's like, they play it all the time.
Because they think they have to, because they payed for it.

But well.
This guy is really... ****** up somehow.
ReidE96
I play wow too, the funeral idea is nice but to ruin it is cruel. Although if it wasn't a pvp realm then all they needed to do was type /pvp before the funeral and they'd only have creatures (wolves etc) to worry about.
akaRival
That is so funn but soooo cruel LoL

Rival