i am so confused with so many distributions. Which distribution of linux do you think is the best?
I feel there is a little confusion between Windows & Linux here... or it's just a joke...
I just put a windows poll for the fun of it. It has nothing to do with the actual topic
This way of thinking is the source of irrelevant topics in my opinion.
But if you want to, here is my opinion about the linux distributions I know :
- I'm using Gentoo. It's quite hard to install, since there is no graphical interface ; but the manuals are very well written. Once you get it installed, the system is very stable and really easy to update.
- The opposite is Mandriva. All is based on graphical interface, and it's supposed to be very easy to use. I don't know it myself, but my father is using it, so it has to be easy
- You could think of Debian, the so-called "most used linux distrib". I never tried it, but it is surely very reliable. Could be a good "standard choice".
- Slackware: I spent lots of time on it. It has big update problems, which seem to have been solved since then.
- Linspire: don't lose your time & money with it. They tried to make it look like Windows, it didn't succeed. Also have lots of problems.
- Last but not least, Fedora. It could be a good compromise: strong system, easy installation, large community...
You're missing two standard versions here!
RedHat: nice and easy, I don't have much experience with it
SuSE: I like it very much. I've worked with it since version 7.1 'till now on (10) and it's easy to configer because of the YaST.
Little problem: it is free software, but not all is open source, wich means: you don't get the source code of YaST and some other programs.
And another nice one too: Ubuntu, this one's really good in hardware detection etc. and is also commonly used on some pre-installed virtual machines (VMWare browser appliance for example)
My vote is for SuSE,
And for the MS joke: win2000 or the very first version of win95 (very small (50mb or less), very stable, and no internet configs inside)
at home is XP
at work is Tablet win
but i like and want to have UBUNTU
linux is cool