FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which Linux?

Which version of windows do you use?
XP
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
ME
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2003 Tablet Edition
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

randomaccess
i am so confused with so many distributions. Which distribution of linux do you think is the best?
martindecorte
I feel there is a little confusion between Windows & Linux here... or it's just a joke...
randomaccess
I just put a windows poll for the fun of it. It has nothing to do with the actual topic
martindecorte
randomaccess wrote:
I just put a windows poll for the fun of it. It has nothing to do with the actual topic

This way of thinking is the source of irrelevant topics in my opinion.

But if you want to, here is my opinion about the linux distributions I know :
- I'm using Gentoo. It's quite hard to install, since there is no graphical interface ; but the manuals are very well written. Once you get it installed, the system is very stable and really easy to update. Very Happy
- The opposite is Mandriva. All is based on graphical interface, and it's supposed to be very easy to use. I don't know it myself, but my father is using it, so it has to be easy Wink
- You could think of Debian, the so-called "most used linux distrib". I never tried it, but it is surely very reliable. Could be a good "standard choice".
- Slackware: I spent lots of time on it. It has big update problems, which seem to have been solved since then.
- Linspire: don't lose your time & money with it. They tried to make it look like Windows, it didn't succeed. Also have lots of problems.
- Last but not least, Fedora. It could be a good compromise: strong system, easy installation, large community...
johanfh
You're missing two standard versions here!
RedHat: nice and easy, I don't have much experience with it
SuSE: I like it very much. I've worked with it since version 7.1 'till now on (10) and it's easy to configer because of the YaST.
Little problem: it is free software, but not all is open source, wich means: you don't get the source code of YaST and some other programs.

And another nice one too: Ubuntu, this one's really good in hardware detection etc. and is also commonly used on some pre-installed virtual machines (VMWare browser appliance for example)

My vote is for SuSE,
And for the MS joke: win2000 or the very first version of win95 (very small (50mb or less), very stable, and no internet configs inside)

JohanFH
leonlad
at home is XP
at work is Tablet win
but i like and want to have UBUNTU
linux is cool
Animal
*sigh*

Off-topic poll, what's the point in that?

Please search before posting, there are already loads of threads on this subject:
    First, the most useful thread
    Second, a thread with exactly the same title as this one
    Third and Fourth - another couple of examples

Rolling Eyes

-close-