FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what kind of laptop should i get

borrito
i'm trying to decide which one to go for.. any suggestions?

Quote:
ABS MAYHEM G4 REVOLUTION A50 Pentium M 760(2.0GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB 80GB DVD±R/RW nVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 NoteBook - Retail

# Card slot: One Type II PCMCIA Slot
Communication: Modem, Gigabit LAN and WLAN
CPU Type: 1 x Pentium M 760(2.0GHz)
Graphics Card: Geforce Go 6600
Hard Disk: 80GB
Memory Size: 1GB DDR2
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Optical Drive: DVD±R/RW Drive
Screen: 15.4" WXGA TFT
Video Memory: Dedicated 256MB
# Model #: G4 REVOLUTION A50

* Original Price: $1,849.00
* Instant Savings: -$200.00
* Total Price: $1,649.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834224033

or

Quote:
# ABS MAYHEM G4 REVOLUTION A40, Pentium M 730(1.6GHz), 15.4", 512MB, 60GB, DVD±R/RW, Geforce 6600, NoteBook - Retail

Card slot: One Type II PCMCIA Slot
Communication: Modem, LAN and WLAN
CPU Type: 1 x Pentium M 730(1.6GHz)
Graphics Card: Geforce MXM II 6600
Hard Disk: 60GB
Memory Size: 512MB DDR2
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW
Screen: 15.4" WSXGA+ TFT
Video Memory: Dedicated 256MB
# Model #: G4 REVOLUTION A40

* Original Price: $1,699.00
* Instant Savings: -$150.00
* Total Price: $1,549.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834224032

or, i could go for the money saver:
Quote:
# ABS Mayhem G3 S34 Athlon 64 AMD3400+ 15.4" Wide XGA 512MB 80GB DVD±R/RW ATI Mobility RADEON 9700 NoteBook - OEM

Card slot: 1x Type I/II PC Card Slot
CPU Type: 1 x Athlon 64 3400+
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility RADEON 9700
Memory Size: 512MB DDR
Operating System: Windows XP Home
Optical Drive: DVD±R/RW
Video Memory: Dedicated 128MB
# Model #: MAYHEM G3 S34

* Original Price: $1,299.00
* Total Price: $1,149.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834224040

hmm, *scratches head..

i guess i should tell you what i want it for.. mainly for graphic design, 3d modeling, video editting, audio editting, the usual net-surfing, word processing, etc... and actually, very little gaming.. i'll stick to 'home gaming' so i don't become an addict again.. lol

well, gimme some feedback peeps.. and plz, no stupid comments *ahem* coke & jago.. i'll delete your bs with a quickness.. Surprised
elekis
I have no idea about laptop (I ve never touched ones) but if you need to install linux... visit that http://www.linux-laptop.net/ before

a+++
randomaccess
Looks like the first one looks better in everyway. So choose the first one. Only $100 more
Xeniczone
i would choose macintosh but that not on the list. get the first one. For moble I would go intel but for desktop go amd. Intels desktops overheat but there laptops are pritty ok.
Rocky3478
Look at the laptops with the Intel Core Duo chips. They scream, even compared to a Pentium M.
psycosquirrel
Can you go with desktop? For the price of any of those laptops, you can get an outstandingly good shuttle and an LCD. As for laptops, I would go with the first option, but I wish I knew more about mobile processors. The second one has more recent video, but the first processor is much better (I am guessing. Frequency is not everything). I also like the additional hard drive space on the first option... You can never have too much space on a laptop.
erlendhg
If you don't have to choose one of those (but i assume you have to), then I would recommend HP (very good) or IBM (the best)

IBMs ThinkPad is incredible Wink
technology.sponge
if u must get a laptop, the 1st one

if not,m try for a desktop
u can get the same hardware for much cheaper or pack in lots more power for the same price

i wudnt do much modelling/vid edits on a laptop tho; but slow for that (find me a laptop with 7900GTX sli crads Very Happy )
Urahara
The first one will have slightly better performance over all than the 3rd one. A GeForce 6600 Go is quite a bit better than Radeon 9700 though. CPU-wise, A64 3400+ is attractive, but 512MB less memory isn't really good.

I'd go for the 3rd one, cause it would satisfy my needs. If you're going to play the latest games on your laptop, then I wouldn't recommend any of these.
DecayClan
Definitely this one:
Quote:

# ABS Mayhem G3 S34 Athlon 64 AMD3400+ 15.4" Wide XGA 512MB 80GB DVD±R/RW ATI Mobility RADEON 9700 NoteBook - OEM

Card slot: 1x Type I/II PC Card Slot
CPU Type: 1 x Athlon 64 3400+
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility RADEON 9700
Memory Size: 512MB DDR
Operating System: Windows XP Home
Optical Drive: DVD±R/RW
Video Memory: Dedicated 128MB
# Model #: MAYHEM G3 S34

* Original Price: $1,299.00
* Total Price: $1,149.00

It depends on what you really want...If you want something powerfull, then choose this one.It is a lot more powerfull than the others.All you have to do, is double the memory (from 512MB to 1024), which is something that can be done very easily. You must know though, that the battery will not last long.The other laptops, are specially designed for that purpose.The pentium M series, sacrifice their strength, in order to endure more, be smaller,have smaller temperatures, be more light, etc.THats why they are expensive and powerless in comparison to the other one.Especially if you want to play some games, then you MUST get this one...Although th video card is A LOT WORSE from the 6600 gto,ask if you can change it...(even with these changes, it will still be cheaper).

Animal wrote:
Please use quote tags when copying and pasting text.
otiscom
Look at the Toshiba or sony laptops.

They are the best in my opinion.