FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Windows XP/Vista Stickers Showing Up

izcool
Hey everyone,

Of course we all know that Intel has completely changed their logos around and slapped new stickers on computers made at the beginning of 2006 and onward, while those at the end of 2005 and older show the old logos.

Just today, when I was at the mall, I found that there is a new Windows XP sticker that says "Vista Capable", something I never seen before. I took a picture with my camera phone to see if I can find anything about it online, and I have. The picture isn't all that great, but I've seen numerous pages about it already.

Here's one that I seen that looked pretty good :

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=2802

This is the one I took a photo of (it was on a new Toshiba laptop at Circuit City) :

Wonder why Microsoft never did this before with any other PC stickers, this is the first where it says "Capable".

What do you guys here think about this ?

- Mike.
mOrpheuS
izcool wrote:
Wonder why Microsoft never did this before with any other PC stickers, this is the first where it says "Capable".

I think this has been done since, for the first time, a version of windows is going to be available, which will truly demand and deserve hardware much above the average at the time of it's release.
Windows XP ran fine on most PCs at the time when it was released, same won't be true for Vista.

The fact that they should get ready for a hardware upgrade is being subtly shown to people with these labels.

Also, with Vista due for release in the near future, many people may be postponing their hardware purchases.
Since this is not what the manufacturers would want, they decided to assure people that their product will run Vista fine.

They cannot label something as "Designed for Windows Vista" as they did with XP, since nobody is going to believe that ... Heck. MS hasn't finished designing Vista itself.
So the new "Capable" concept, that's more credible. Wink

p.s. - In case you wonder what difference a label makes, let me tell you of a guy I knew ... he bought a particular brand of UPS, since it carried the label of Windows 98 on it. Laughing
ChrisCh
will windows vista still be compatible with machines that do not bear the "windows vista capable" logo? i read somewhere a little while ago that it should function on today's computers if its 3D effects are disabled. is this still true or have things changed?
mOrpheuS
ChrisCh wrote:
will windows vista still be compatible with machines that do not bear the "windows vista capable" logo? i read somewhere a little while ago that it should function on today's computers if its 3D effects are disabled. is this still true or have things changed?

It will run with all the bells and whistles on any moderately powerful computer of today.
And some of the eye candy might need to be turned off in order to make it run satisfactorily on the not-so-bleeding-edge machines.

The labels are needed knowing the average hardware.
Most people may be surprised to know the average PC user's system configuration. It's not exactly high-end.

Read this powerpoint presentation, straight from MS, about their plans for getting Vista ready PC's into the market, and informing the users.
That should answer all your questions.
rsheehan
oh my gosh i've seen those. all they basically do is make people want to buy them because the requirements for Vista have been so high in the latest tests. Vista I don't think will catch on because even great computers in American homes are not going to run it. Businesses will have to replace all their computers.
falconfx
I think Vista is going to become the most RAM-sucking operative system of the whole Microsoft's story!

I fear even my new Athlon 64 3500+ with 1GB of DDR400 RAM won't run Vista very well.

Regarding the new Vista sticker I think it's necessary to wait the presentation of the OS itself before signing products to be compatible with it. I still remember all the driver-related issues with Windows XP 5 years ago: my poor webcam stopped working with it and even today it can't.

By the way, I'm still waiting for a Linux-capable sticker...
sibbahz
This is a useful way of deciding what pc to buy to be future ready.
Dont think my sempron 1.6ghz 512meg ram laptop with 64meg shared graphics will really be up to the job of running vista Sad
Not that im going to waste money for an updated windows theme anyway!
Bones
Vista Beta (currently using build 5270...getting the newest build very soon..5355) runs fine on my Athlon XP 2500 with 512M ram.

Your pc won't need to be uber to run this OS at all, most of what ppl are saying on the net is just hype. Actually last night I saw a laptop running a P4 1.7Ghz cpu with 512M ram running build 5355 perfectly well with all the bells and whistles turned on (glass, 3d alt-tab etc).
dz9c
Bones wrote:
Vista Beta (currently using build 5270...getting the newest build very soon..5355) runs fine on my Athlon XP 2500 with 512M ram.

Your pc won't need to be uber to run this OS at all, most of what ppl are saying on the net is just hype. Actually last night I saw a laptop running a P4 1.7Ghz cpu with 512M ram running build 5355 perfectly well with all the bells and whistles turned on (glass, 3d alt-tab etc).

Thats good because I have a crappy celeron 2.93ghz..I really need to update to a P4
Daniel15
Well, I defintately won't be able to use Vista then...

My computer = Pentium 3 866mHz, 320MB ram, 120GB hard drive, running Windows XP SP2 Razz
izcool
daniel15 wrote:

My computer = Pentium 3 866mHz, 320MB ram, 120GB hard drive, running Windows XP SP2 Razz

Wow, I'm surprised. I've maxed out my first desktop machine, a Pentium 3 @ 667MHz, 192MB of RAM, CD-RW drive, 14GB Hard drive, and was running Windows XP Home Edition SP1 at the time. Now I have a Pentium 4 @ 2.4GHz, 768MB of RAM, DVD burner, an 80GB hard drive, and running on Windows XP Professional SP1 (I don't believe in SP2, I tried it once but hated it, don't get me started on why I do, it's my personal opinion). I've been happy with that machine for awhile now.

- Mike.
Bones
daniel15 wrote:

Nope you won't be able to use it. The lowest system I have tried it on, was a P3 1Ghz with 256M RAM...it installed, but it ran like 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag Wink Then again, that was a beta build as well.
Currently, the feature set is supposed to be locked, and the next 6 months MS will be working on increasing performance...so you never know, it might be possible, but I doubt it Sad
edallica
i guess that the reason for this happening is people are getting used to betas more and more....id say that its a beta age and lots of people will probably try the public beta of vista when it comes out so anyone buying a new machine will probably want to know this info in advance.

i personally have put off buying a new laptop until after vista has been out for a while.
photon
beta or no beta, im not running vista for sure!! will be switching over to linux shortly Smile
James007
Moved to "Operating Systems".
Bones
edallica wrote:
i guess that the reason for this happening is people are getting used to betas more and more....id say that its a beta age and lots of people will probably try the public beta of vista when it comes out so anyone buying a new machine will probably want to know this info in advance.

i personally have put off buying a new laptop until after vista has been out for a while.

Software has always had beta tests. It's just that now, a lot of software companies are making their betas public instead of closed. I think it's good for both the public and the company. The public gets a nice preview of the software, and the companies get a good stress test on the software since it's impossible to replicate so many different hardware combinations in a lab.

I'm not sure if MS plans on a public beta of Vista or not, so far they have only announced (afaik) a community release that will be released to MSDN members (as it has been all along) and people who sign up for the beta program. Although, if anyone has information to the contrary, please correct me Smile

I wouldn't buy a new pc right now either (although I would never buy an OEM machine anyway..I build my own), just because, this time next year you will be able to get the same pc running Vista instead of XP which turns 5 yrs old this October.
nilsmo
I would never want to run Vista on the desktops with those stickers: it'll just be too slow.
Tiger
Very Interesting! There is a difference between capable and Windows compatible. Ususally when most people see "Windows Compatible" it is generally understood that that machine is a dedicated Windows machine.

If it is "Windows capable" - then I would understand that that machine is not exclusively for Windows, but could also be used for Linux, or some other Operating System.

I hope nobody misunderstands what I'm saying here, but after about 15 years using computers I understand and accept that Windows is the predominant Operating System - so the new word capable immediately means something different to me. Maybe Bill is finally acknowledging Linux - hooray!
Xeniczone
focus dude

Quote:
I like vista

Do you like macintosh ox x because vista is a almost exact copy of it.

Vista requirments aren't high. I got vista to run on a pentium 3 933mhz. 256 mbs ram and a 20gig hard drive. If that is high then wow.

I'm going to try to run it on a amd k6-2.

I'm sorry to say this but you people are stupid you realy on a stupid sticker on the front of your computer to tell you if your computer will work. That pentium 3 said built for windows me and vista runs fine on it. My pentium 4 said built for windows xp windows runs fine on it. Then my other p4 is home made so it has no sticker on it. then my amd and p2 are home built so they have no stickers on them.
Animal
Ok, new stickers have appeared for Vista - thanks for the heads up izcool. Unfortunately, this topic is being spammed...

cough... cough...
EDW1NCM wrote:
I like vista

...so I'm going to close it. Please keep the Vista discussions coming, but keep them in the Official Vista thread.

-close-