FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any suggestions for good Horror novels?

HoboPelican
Forget King and Koontz. Don't mention Rice. I've read all of Straub, Saul and Barker.

I'm looking for for something dark and strange. Maybe a new Lovecraft. Read The Cypher by Kathe Koja a while ago, but that was the last original horror novel I've found.

So, you tell me, what should my next book be?
The Philosopher Princess
I have a book suggestion for you, although it’s not technically a horror. It’s more of a dramatized reality crime story. I think it definitely fits your description of “something dark and strange”.

Serpentine by Thomas Thompson

From http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=17-0786707496-0:
Quote:
Synopsis:
The bestselling, true-life story of predatory charm, international serial murder, and unstemmed evil has been penned by the award-winning author of “Blood and Money.” This is the tale of Charles Sobhraj, sweeping back and forth over half the globe.

I bought this book on a spontaneous hunch, not knowing anything about it, and especially not knowing it was based (mostly or at least partly) on fact. But once I started reading, I had a hard time stopping. It’s a type of horror in the sense of its “true-life” scary crime basis.
HoboPelican
The Philosopher Princess wrote:

I bought this book on a spontaneous hunch, not knowing anything about it, and especially not knowing it was based (mostly or at least partly) on fact. But once I started reading, I had a hard time stopping. It’s a type of horror in the sense of its “true-life” scary crime basis.

Sounds interesting. I like psycho stories, too. I'll add that to my list. Thanks!
rip8fan1
The Necroscope Series by Brian Lumley.

Check it out here:

http://www.brianlumley.com/

Some of the books by Robert McCammon would also be good, check out 'BAAL', and 'USHER's PASSING'. You can check them out here:

http://www.robertmccammon.com/novels.html
HoboPelican
rip8fan1 wrote:
The Necroscope Series by Brian Lumley.

Yeah, I liked that series. But now that you mention it I don't think I finished it. I'll have to look into that series and see how many I missed.

Quote:

Some of the books by Robert McCammon would also be good, check out 'BAAL', and 'USHER's PASSING'. You can check them out here:

I did. And I thank you again. Looks like some good leads.

My shopping list so far Smile
Serpentine by Thomas Thompson
Finish the Necroscope series
Baal by Robert McCammon
Usher's Passing by Robert McCammon
rip8fan1
Since my memory fails me most of the time, I did a search at Barnes and Noble.com to look at Horror Books I've read that I thought might fit in with your desires. Here is one more that might interest you:

Dan Simmons - A Winter Haunting
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=0380817160&itm=8

Dan Simmons is much more known for his Hyperion Novels which are more SF/Fantasy, but they are a very good read also.
Nyizsa
My favourite is and will be Lovecraft. His stories really have that feeling.
Anyway, you can try going back to classics: Poe, for example. His novels are focused on human things, opposing to Lovecraft's, which are focused on supernatural powers. I like them both.
HoboPelican
Nyizsa wrote:
My favourite is and will be Lovecraft. His stories really have that feeling.
Anyway, you can try going back to classics: Poe, for example. His novels are focused on human things, opposing to Lovecraft's, which are focused on supernatural powers. I like them both.

Yeah, I like them both also...the bummer with dead authors is that there is no hope for more stories from them Sad
zebrabongo
I think you should check out The Wolfen by Whitley Strieber.

Great book that toys with the idea that werewolves has evolved and lived along side humans.
Once hunting with us, now we are reduced to a source of food.

I think he makes a plausible story. Would we actually notice if some homeless people disappeared?
Would a mangled body be attributed to a dog attack?

The truth is that something is lurking in the darkness. Human or other?
indeedwrestling
I'd love to hear someone's thoughts on "See No Evil", the new novelization of the terrible Horrible movie starring WWE's Kane (and written by Smackdown! writer Dan Madigan).
kazoe
The Djinn by Graham Masterson. Sort of graphic and creepy. The Alladin that you know in TV will just look like your normal kiddie program. You'll took a whole different idea about genies after this. I dont know if they still publish this book but its good. Also, look for his other books. They're scary as well.

Also, try 'The Regulators' by Richard Bachman (the pseudo of Stephen King... no, dont judge yet, its one of his older books). This one is also creepy, and its really graphic. And this works if you have a imaginative mind. An unexpected source of scare. It was like someone's nightmare had come to life and unfairly dragged you with it... as well as the whole town.
onemoment
umm... maybe poppy z brite? her new stuff isnt horror, but her old stuff is supposed to be really good and dark. i think lost souls was the most popular.

anyway ive heard many good things about her.

but im not sure if she could compare to my favourite, anne rice. Very Happy
Asgardsfall
While I like Lovecraft to a certain extent I love the short ghost story format better.

Tales like those of Algernon Blackwood and his kind.

My favourite of all, though it is some time since I read it, is Carnacki the Ghost-Finder by William Hope Hodgson. Spooky, yet accessable.

Oooh ... I just found E-Texts.
http://www.forgottenfutures.com/game/ff4/carnacki.htm
rjaduthie
The mountains of madness: first time I read this I was very young and the long winded explaination in all technical glory bypassed me a bit, though in later years I yearned to read through it again, so I bought a copy. Another one of his: Rats in the Walls is a great short - creeped up my girlfriend at the time - decent.

Have you read the book of the Shining: I did this at school for my Higher Englich 'RPR': I hadn't seen the film at the time, though the book has some nice bit that would've translated nicely though weren't included: the hedge animals. Also it has more direction with the summer janitor (is that right?), who is brutally murdered in quick smart manner by the possessed Jack Nicholson, during the film. The book has a radio fiasco and more.

Check that out if you can.