FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

RPG Maker... for all of you who want to make your own game!

RPG Villager
i am using this software and personally... it is way better than gamemaker! it is called RPG Maker 2000. (if the download below dosnt work, tell me so i can post a seperat link):
(i will also give tuturials on how to use it if you want)
http://www.filelodge.com/files/room16/412690/Copy%20of%20RPGM.zip

tell me if the downloaded files are not working so i can fix them!

Edited... my html is not what it once was... i have to look up how to do the link cover up again... poor me... o well
TurkishGamer
I think that Rpgmaker is a more specific gamemaker. It only does rpg's.gamemaker does anything that can be 2d.Maybe even 3d. SO theres no way of comparing them.
RPG Villager
i have tried game maker and i totally think it sucks! a lot of newbie people who want their ow game will probobly like it because it is way easier to use!
Nameless
First of all, I've use both RPGMaker 2000 and Game Maker. So I know, at least to some extent, what I'm talking about.

I prefer Game Maker far more than RPGMaker for these reasons:

1. Game Maker, obviously, can easily make simple games of ANY genre, and even has capacity for complex and 3D games.
2. Even just for RPGs, Game Maker allows far more possibilities and options. RPGMaker is very limited for things like custom battle calculations or complex spells.
3. Game Maker does not take that much longer than RPGMaker to learn, and there are plenty of good tutorials for all different genres.
4. RPGMaker's interface is, in my opinion, poor. Game Maker's interface is, again in my opinion, good.

Thus, EVEN for RPGs, I would prefer using Game Maker.
oneightwo
Nameless wrote:
First of all, I've use both RPGMaker 2000 and Game Maker. So I know, at least to some extent, what I'm talking about.

I prefer Game Maker far more than RPGMaker for these reasons:

1. Game Maker, obviously, can easily make simple games of ANY genre, and even has capacity for complex and 3D games.
2. Even just for RPGs, Game Maker allows far more possibilities and options. RPGMaker is very limited for things like custom battle calculations or complex spells.
3. Game Maker does not take that much longer than RPGMaker to learn, and there are plenty of good tutorials for all different genres.
4. RPGMaker's interface is, in my opinion, poor. Game Maker's interface is, again in my opinion, good.

Thus, EVEN for RPGs, I would prefer using Game Maker.

1. Thus the name, rpg maker
2. RPG Maker XP (the newest, and by far the best, rpg maker) has an inbuilt scripting language - RGSS - that allows you todo nearly ANYTHING.
3. I'll have to admit, that it actually took me longer the learn rmxp (because of RGSS) than game maker, but what i made with gamemaker was crap. so it' still alot quicker to learn how to make something decent in rmxp than it is in gm.
4. that's this stupid. rmxp's interface is simple and straight to the point, yet flexible and capable of nearly anything.

also, RM2K is illegal, unless you buy it. so that link shouldn't be there, seeing as it is warez. Also, if you're interested, check out www.rmxp.net/forums/index.php

that is the best rpg maker xp community on the net, and it's completely legal (no warez) plus has a HUGE collection of Scripts and resources.
Trademark
Game Maker I think is a lot better than RPG Maker, for reasons being, that if you want to make Game Maker simple, then you can, Or you could code, and there a so many possiblities! RPG Maker practically already made the game for you, It includes the graphics, everything.

That's just my opinion
Marco
Trademark wrote:
Game Maker I think is a lot better than RPG Maker, for reasons being, that if you want to make Game Maker simple, then you can, Or you could code, and there a so many possiblities! RPG Maker practically already made the game for you, It includes the graphics, everything.

That's just my opinion

True, but you can also use your own characters, chipsets and other things in RPG maker
Insanity
I agree that RPG Maker is just less powerful and broad than Game Maker, but then again the amount of skill that Game Maker requires to complete a game is a big turn off for a lot of people so I suppose RPG Maker is still good for beginners and the like. Even their scripting and programming isn't difficult, and everything else is pretty much provided for you.
linkman2004
I don't like either. Game Maker isn't bad but it's not the best, and then RPG Maker is ILLEGAL unless you actually buy an import copy from Japan so now I have to send yall RPG Maker users to jail. Razz
Eyre
you could also use RPG Maker 2k3. That's my personal favorite. It's basically 2000 with a few new features. They've also got RPG Maker XP, which includes its own scripting thing, but i don't really like that one.
And also, lots of people that use RPG maker actually know japanese.
moonblade
I havent bothered to look at the link sorry but why would it be better than NWN?. Its easy to use and has a nice scripting system with which you can do allmost anything.
Omerman
is it free?? Very Happy
selim06
Thaks guys for all of this information i will look all of them and now i've registered for rmxp.net.
oneightwo
selim06 wrote:
Thaks guys for all of this information i will look all of them and now i've registered for rmxp.net.

no problem! i'm actually using my frihost hosting account to make my own rmxp website/forum.

So once that's done you can join that aswell! Very Happy Very Happy Cool Cool
Ljsk
Omerman wrote:
is it free?? Very Happy

^That.
linkman2004
No, Omerman, it's NOT free. It was only released officially in Japan where you have to BUY it in a regular store. Then some guy ILLEGALLY translated it to english and ILLEGALLY released it onto the internet for FREE! In a few words it's illegal you sons of yahoos unless you paid for it. Razz
moonblade
Heh.. well in any case. heres another link to it on a site that is perfectly legal.

http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=programs

If there are some people who has the rights on this thing i suggest they should start swinging the lawsuit stick and get some credit aswell as money Razz
oneightwo
that's not legal...the only legal way is if you download RPG Maker XP English 30 Day trial (official translated, for whoever it was that stupidly said it was never translated officially) from Download.com

and then you need to buy a liscence (around $60US i think...)