FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Glad I got a Pentium....

{name here}
http://www.tomshardware.com/2001/09/17/hot_spot/
Old, but an interesting article nonetheless.
psycosquirrel
Irrelevant info to modern core processors. I mean, they are talking about old sockets and completely old processors. This is from the days where AMD was considered a "blackmarket" brand; made in sweatshops by children or w/e. Now, AMD has MORE safety features than Intel. No modern processor comes without thermal safeguards, and even if they did, the motherboard would stop the processor before damage was done. I have actually been running the EXACT processor that was tested in a server (the AMD 1400+), and I have never had a problem with it. Who the heck in their right mind would just take off a hsf while the computer was running? That has to be the most retarted idea I have ever heard of. Not like heatsinks will fall off the socket A AMDs anyways, they physically screw onto the motherboard.

In modern day standards, Intel is actually much more thermally inefficient than AMD, and therefore, more likely to have heat failure. As I posted in http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-32121.html, I have ran both P4 and AMD systems. AMD stands out BY FAR in terms of thermal reliability. In any circumstance, a heat sink is not just going to "fall off," and therefore, the idiot who conducted that test wasted 4 perfectly good processors (the 2 P4s are damaged; even though they still function, they will age much faster and die much sooner than an untouched one).
{name here}
Well I still am not going AMD. I've burnt too many Operating Systems to just throw away the ones that are processor specific...
Jaiye
{name here} wrote:
Well I still am not going AMD. I've burnt too many Operating Systems to just throw away the ones that are processor specific...

and cds cost a whole of what... $0.25 these days? That's not much of an excuse to not use the better processor. Besides the fact that most OSes are architecture dependant, not processor, so those disks burnt for x86 will still work fine because AMD64 is fully compatable with x86.
Animal
Please keep replies on-topic!

If you want to discuss whether Intel or AMD are better, please use the official thread.
ml
amazing video

was laughting my a** off
Donutey
any modern processor will shut down automatically (or throttle) when it gets too hot... irrelevant. as said above.

however, it would be interesting to see what would happen with a GPU... some of those get up to 70C...
psycosquirrel
They have the same auto-off features, only for around 130 degrees celcius. It is very common for newer GPUs to run upwards of 120 degrees under heavy load. I believe my 5500's shutoff temp is around 150 degrees, though I have never gotten it near that hot.
Donutey
psycosquirrel wrote:
They have the same auto-off features, only for around 130 degrees celcius. It is very common for newer GPUs to run upwards of 120 degrees under heavy load. I believe my 5500's shutoff temp is around 150 degrees, though I have never gotten it near that hot.

I think you might be confusing celsius and fahrenheit... 150 Celsius is above 300 Fahrenheit, pretty sure the plastics in the board would melt... although I wouldn't be that surprised .. the way power consumption is going up on those cards.
psycosquirrel
I am almost entirely sure it is celcius; I read it somewhere. If I can find it, I will post a link.
gh0stface
Too bad that article is 5 years and has no relevancy to current technology. I would also never trust Tom's hardware website reviews either. Majority of his articles are biased as many veterans of hardware know.
Xeniczone
that test didn't show the entire story.

Once a pentium 3 is overheated. It may survive but the processor is internally distoryed. (eg. You killed someone with poison you don't see that they have been kill no brusing or bullet hole but their dead)
that pentium 3 they overheated will never work right again after leaving the computer one for 30mins the pentium 3 will hang and will do that no matter how you work with it (I had this issue)

The pentium 4 may have survived. I don't know never tried to overheat one.

AMD's aren't like intels in the fact they don't have to deal with extreme heat to give high proformance. So if they overheat they die.