FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What does it tell you?

{name here}
I own a Dell Dimension 4100 with an Intel Pentium 3 processor running at 866 Mhz with Windows XP. I installed two office suites - The supposed great OpenOffice and the frowned down upon Microsoft Office.
It seems that even with all those useless features, Microsoft Word beat OpenOffice in several fronts:
1. Fonts. Openoffice comes with it's own fonts. Microsoft Office just extracts them from the fonts folder.
2. Speed. OpenOffice took several more seconds to load than Microsoft Office, even with useless features. It requires a loaded module in memory just to load as quick, and when I start to type, it still isn't as nice as it is portrayed.
3. Expirience. I found Microsoft Office much easier to use because of the Task Launcher, something that OpenOffice doesn't have.
Funny how it works that a bloated Office Suite with useless features is able to load faster than one that has been praised so much....
AhmedSalmanJamal
I bet it is because of the above reasons OpenOffice is a freeware whereas Microsoft Office is a paid ware. It should also be noted that Microsoft concentrates a lot on Human Computer Interaction, whereas OpenOffice does not. Thus the reasons for the lack of efficiency in OpenOffice.
AftershockVibe
You may well be right.... on the other hand, MS Office is likely to be cheating!

By default, MS Office installs osa.exe (office startup assistant) to be run at startup. This loads a lot of components into memory already so it doesn't have to do it at load time. This of course takes Windows longer to boot though.

If it's running, turn off osa.exe, and then see if it makes a difference. Of course MS Office may well still load faster... just wondered if it was a fair comparison!
Smile
{name here}
I made sure of the removal of such a component, I try disable anything that hurts my CPUs startup time, but just to be a little more fair, I'll see if osa is disbled and get the latest Office. I'll update soon, after some dinner.
Stubru Freak
Microsoft Office is better in my opinion, but not that much better that it should cost $600 more.

So, if MS Office is installed on a pc, I'll use it, but if not, I really won't pay $600 for the one time in a week I actually use it.
Nyizsa
AftershockVibe wrote:
You may well be right.... on the other hand, MS Office is likely to be cheating!

By default, MS Office installs osa.exe (office startup assistant) to be run at startup. This loads a lot of components into memory already so it doesn't have to do it at load time. This of course takes Windows longer to boot though.

If it's running, turn off osa.exe, and then see if it makes a difference. Of course MS Office may well still load faster... just wondered if it was a fair comparison!
Smile

Yes, that might be the reason. If you work a lot in OpenOffice, you may want to install a similar quickstarter, look for oooqs-kde or oooqstart-gnome. And THEN do the above comparison!
ocalhoun
The important difference is cost.
If you are shopping for a car, and you are offered a free hyundai, do you reject it and buy a mercedes full price?.
{name here}
Here, I have an update.
Rather than disabling MS Office's QuickStarter, I activated OO's quickstarter as well to see which would load faster anyway. Well, it was still microsoft office that loaded faster.
Quote:
The important difference is cost.
If you are shopping for a car, and you are offered a free hyundai, do you reject it and buy a mercedes full price?.

Cost is of no importance to me to any software. I have my sources.
Quote:
Yes, that might be the reason. If you work a lot in OpenOffice, you may want to install a similar quickstarter, look for oooqs-kde or oooqstart-gnome. And THEN do the above comparison!

If I was using BSD for the test then I would but, as I stated:
I wrote:
I own a Dell Dimension 4100 with an Intel Pentium 3 processor running at 866 Mhz with Windows XP. I installed two office suites - The supposed great OpenOffice and the frowned down upon Microsoft Office.
Stubru Freak
{name here} wrote:

Illegal sources?
{name here}
Stubru Freak wrote:
{name here} wrote:

Illegal sources?

BTDT, but not any more. I removed illegal software from my box and burned my CDs containing them after realizing what I was actually doing. The MS office I used was 2001, which was distroed with my computer.