FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fish tank anyone?

filmeroz
I've seen several pets around but no fish up so far... So anyone has a fsh tank that wants to share with me/us?

Looking forward to see it. Till then i am uploading some of my fish pics Smile

Sorry for the quality...

gg0mjm
Looks a great tank Filmeroz, It looks like some nice plants in there and the bogwood in the centre makes a good feature!

Also i'm very jelous, no sign of any algae, i'm strugeling to conatin mine, any tips? Here's a pic of my tank, hope you like Smile

LMSdesign
I used to have seveal tanks. I really wish I could set them back up, I just don't have room in this house. I miss them terribly. I have two 55 gall, one 30 gall and a 25 gallon, they were all going at once, the sound was heavnly. I really miss the sounds of hte power filters and bubblers. I want a octogon corner tank, that should take up less space. Maybe after we build more onto this house, it is only 1000 sq feet at best. I would like to go salt water next time also, any one have salt and fresh or bracken water even? My gold fish are happy as well, fish, after I put the in our natural pond to eat skeeter larva, they are doign great and getting very big. the pond is huge, about 10-12 feet deep.
eku53ru
I have a fish tank, but at the moment it is not in use; it's just a little ten gallon tank. Ever since they've changed the cleaning agent-things from chlorine to chloramines, raising fish as been a pain. My last comet goldfish died at seven years of age due to chloramine poisoning. I'll always remember the way its blindless led to its new method of eating food (which I felt really sorry for, but found cute at the same time ._.).
Mr Smith
I have an old fish tank, filled it with water and put my fish in. Sadly they died, they were budgies. I have never had good luck with fish (literally), because each time I got a new one, the other one died, so they never had time to have babies or whatever they do with each other instead of making popping noises.

Just a tip what I found out, if your fish make popping noises, spray deoderant/fly spray into the tank, this kills them, but at least you get a GOOD night sleep... for the hard day coming ahead with finding another fish.
goodforum
those finsh tanks are kind of old...
you should clean it more often
Omega_Squid
i have 2 tanks currently, a 30 gallon hex and a 5 gallon hex. the 5 gallon has 3 goldfish that we won at a fair, and so far have been living for 6-7 months, without any troubles! The 30 gallon hex has 2 silver dollars, which are my favorite freshwater fish (cowfish and seahorses are my saltwater picks) , 2 albino corycats, and 3 green tiger barbs. i plan to restock soon, a minor rough streak broke out when several fish died unexplainably over a 3 month period, when all water perameters and tank mates were not the cause! Sad I have had the hex for like 3 years, and when i first set it up, i had 6 fantail goldfish in it. Sadly, ich broke out, and i had never delt with it before, so all of the fish died Sad . Ill shut up now, i miss those goldfish though... it was a really cool tank! Very Happy
ammo
I used to have a huuuuuuuge fish tank, but we had to get rid of it as the neater broke! we used to have loads of different fish including siamees (sp?) fighting fish. We had to have them in enclosures though to make sure they didint rip each other apart Sad
cocobirdi
i've got a 20 gallon tank, with 3 rosy barbs, 2 orange fish that i can't remember the name of (a friend bought them, not me), 1 little striped fish with a pretty tail (again, i didn't buy him), 2 algae eaters, and currently i have NO idea how many guppies i have. i've got like 3 batches of growing babies Rolling Eyes as well as the adults. i've also got a beta that's antisocial, so he's got his own little "tank"... an oversized beer mug lol.

anybody around Jackson, MS area want some guppies? lol... most of them are female, with orange and yellow tails with black spots. very very bright... should put out some bright babies themselves Wink i will GIVE THEM AWAY if you want them!
filmeroz
Back online:)

@gg0mjm I like ur tank looks preety clean also and also the pic is preety sharp. The question i have: Where are the fish?Smile

@goodforum: the tank is clean but the pics are not good

@cocobirdi: I want some guppyes Smile But i guess they will not survivre post services Smile))

Will be back with some pics soon

Ciao
Donutey
i have a 30 and used to have a 15, but got tired of it taking up kitchen space.

I've learned that if you have lots of plants, and a algae eating fish, and only a few fish in the tank, I can almost reach self-cleaning levels. Rolling Eyes lol...
apistos
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ljse53/album?.dir=e491re2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
Here are some pictures of my 29 gallon amazon tank.
Jman4690
haha my fish tank just broke
Donutey
filmeroz wrote:
@cocobirdi: I want some guppyes Smile But i guess they will not survivre post services Smile))

Don't get them Razz !! They multiply like crazy!!
filmeroz
Donutey wrote:
filmeroz wrote:

Don't get them Razz !! They multiply like crazy!!

Hahaha, i know... I just got a female that started to shoot baby fish like crazy Smile

But i think that they are really decorative.. at least for a tank that u do not want to take care of every day Razz

Will come back with some pics of my new african tank in an hour or so

Take care
Al
Stuart
I have just restocked my huge tank. It broke, but I have repaired it... It is amazing what some glass and silicone can achieve.
Crinoid
Reef tanks, currently six of them - for animals who are doing better without each other.

Small fish is still alive, lion was lost...

The small one:

This was trial of almost self sufficient tank, it worked:

Even 14" x 14" x 6" translucent storage container works as a reef tank - if necessary Wink
jabce85
nice tanks everyone! i've had several freshwater tanks throughout the years, but i think i'm finally done with them. I may try saltwater someday, but i think a little more research is in order before i start that hobby.
sana618
i have several tanks too, i have kept them as simple as possible and have several kinds of fishes.
just a few pictures here, they are not that good as i took them from my mobile phone.

youandmephotography
/agree with everyone else

Great fishtank! Where did you buy the tanks?//what was the deal like on them
andysart380
ive got a friend with a beta fish thats about it...
sana618
youandmephotography wrote:
/agree with everyone else

Great fishtank! Where did you buy the tanks?//what was the deal like on them

mmm u didn't actually specified to whom you are asking that question, well as for me... mine i got as a gift from my grandpa, the last tank in d pictures.
bsbteng
I have a fish tank, it's just a little ten gallon tank. Ever since they've changed the cleaning agent-things from chlorine to chloramines, raising fish as been a pain. My last comet goldfish died at ten years of age due to chloramine poisoning. I'll always remember the way its blindless led to its new method of eating food .
taytay
I'll take some pictures in the morning. I wish i could remember the name of my fish! ag. They're pretty though. I have a night something catfish, a gold fish, and two other really pretty fish with multiple tail fins and huge bubbly eyes.

I like the cat fish Razz he only comes out when you turn the lights off, but he's survived so much! When i got him I also got a dragon eal. The eal was pretty tight. I had to hand feed him frozen shrimp. But then I went out of town for a few weeks and my family didn't take care of them. The eal was still alive, but had mold growing on him. it was freaky. He wasn't active at all like he used to be, and wouldn't eat from my hand. I had to drop thr shrimp block in and he would eventually get to it. I had to flush the poor guy :(The catfish prevailed though! Even made it 60 miles in the back of a moving truck to our new house! I wasn't there for that either. He would have ridden shot gun with me, poor fella.

I just uber cleaned the tank the other day, so it's nice and clear again! well, for the most part anyway. I need a new filter. The one I have now seems to work, but i don't trust it. it has limited space inside to filter through the carbon and most of the water flows through the top of the foam carbon bag.
Wolf1918
I used to have a fish tank. I really enjoyed watching them and caring for them.

To the person who wants guppies ... I started out with one pair of guppies and one tank. Very soon I had several larger tanks and tons of guppies. They multiply faster than bunnies!!

Any fish that gives birth to live young will multiply pretty quickly. My advice is, if you only want one fish tank, is to start out with fish that lay eggs. You won't be tempted to try to save those cute little babies and your house won't fill up with fish tanks!

Keep in mind that fish (that is 90% of fish species) will eat their own young! So the first time you see a tiny baby in the tank you're going to panic and try to save it ... unless of course you want to see the little guy get eaten. If you want some of the babies to survive but don't want to bother with "breeder traps" or other things to save babies, put a lot of plants in your tank, live or artificial - and let some of them float on the top, the plants, especially floating ones, will give the young a place to hide while they grow too large to be swallowed.

Chad
tamilparks
very good till now i have no fish tank, but see this i am very happy to get a new fish tank, where can i get the ideas to grow the fishes...
Crinoid
Where to get tank: if you are in Northern America, then the most reasonable option would be to find Big Al's or Aquarium Warehouse. $10 for 10g tank, ~$40 for 20g long, ~$80 for 40g long and wide (relatively shallow, that is more convenient). 20g XH (extra high, is like 2 10g tanks on the top of each other) looks very impressive if set properly, but requires much higher light to penetrate all this depth and is difficult to clean in crevices at the bottom.

The cheapest, free: Classifieds, sometimes people are offering them for free, just pick it up.
During warm season you may take a look on low rise residential area curbs, some people place empty aquariums(tanks) with the label "Free, take it".

For comparison, large supermarkets (Wal-Mart and others) offer usually kits: aquarium and equipment for it, 6x more expensive than the vessel alone. Light must be changed, all other hardware is also most likely not what you will need.

You may check online sellers: if they offer stands, then likely they have tanks in store. Tanks are not usually mailable, this is not cost efficient, with exception of Nano-Cubes and alike. I got mine from online seller (auction), it arrived by mail without damage from a neighbouring country.

Where to learn how to keep fish alive and healthy and keep good looking tank: online articles and forums. Enter search terms like planted tank or tropical fish or aquarium basics for freshwater aquariums, and reefkeeping basics or saltwater FOWLR (fish only with live rock) or corals beginner - for saltwater (marine) tanks.
HTH
Crinoid
If you plan to start with aquarium, beware of not mentioned in articles things:

1. The cost and work are higher, than you may expect.
When you already have tank and fish and everything goes not as good as expected, then when main spendings begin: next and next equipment in hope that it will work better that previous and will solve the problem.

2. Water changes. Spills and physical work, weekly, year after year.
You will read, that properly set tank will require 10 min daily and 1 hr weekly, and 10% water changes once a month, on no water changes for half of year at all. Do not have high hopes for that, these tanks are small percentage in total picture, and no one will lead you step by step to set such tank.

3. You may need reverse osmosis or distilled water, not tap water.
Tap water is possible to use, but purified water is preferred. Check RO/DI devices cost, replacement parts, energy used, and place for storage collected water.

4. The good looking tank requires bright light with specific spectrum. High energy consumption, quite expensive and bulbs need replacement every 6 month or an year. High wattage lamps will increase temperature in the room, and you may need then aquarium chiller (check prices online).

5. Aquarium should be set in the room that is not overheated in the summer, optimally within 82F (convert to Celcius online using Farenheit-Celcius converter). If you have air conditioner, its OK. If not - it means moving tank to the basement, or purchasing air conditioner or chiller (or both).

6. Unless you have unusually high noise tolerance, you likely will be not be able sleep well in the same room with aquarium.
And so on.
My point is that it is like buying battery operated toy: you bought a toy, they you have to buy batteries, again and again, or get a chergind device, place for it, and so on Laughing

Mmmm...:

tony
filmeroz wrote:
I've seen several pets around but no fish up so far... So anyone has a fsh tank that wants to share with me/us?

Looking forward to see it. Till then i am uploading some of my fish pics Smile

Sorry for the quality...

Cool fish! I like them. The first is my personal favourite Smile
driftingfe3s
andysart380 wrote:
ive got a friend with a beta fish thats about it...

Haha, I had a beta, it lived for about 2 years. I went on a trip and when i got back home i learned my mom overfed it.
Sphaerenkern
Got one, too. I once had scalares and clown loaches when I got the fish tank, but the tank was too small for them, so I sold them. Now I got some guppies, sheatfish, black mollies and neons.
My Aquarium isn't that big, 40l I think.
It's nice to watch the fish, the scalares were especially nice to watch while they were eating Very Happy
nolee
Aw pretty!
I have a small fish tank myself, I've always wanted a huge fish tank, like a 1000 gallon one.
Maybe when I have my own house! Smile
Radar
You know, this has seriously got me wondering what happened to the fish tank in my house. Used to have some fish over the course of a few years, than gradually they died and weren't replaced. I know the fish tank sat there empty for a good long time. I've the feeling that I ought to have noticed at the time of it being thrown out.

Hmm. That just shows how aware and observant I am I guess.
joe_b
I had a 240 gallon reef tank until about 3 months ago but it developed a leak. Unfortunately I lost just about everything. I'm taking care of my brothers fish and corals while he's moving, it's making me want to set up a tank again, but they can be a lot of work.