FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Magic the gathering

Yantaal
Just wondering i anyone out there who plays magic the gethring?

if so do you have Apprentice, if not download it, if so, gimme your e-mail so i can play you, Very Happy
Tasa
Yantaal wrote:

if so do you have Apprentice, if not download it, if so, gimme your e-mail so i can play you, Very Happy

I play MTG, but I have no idea what the apprentice is, if you give a link I would be more then happy to download it and take a look.
Yantaal
Well basically its magic online, but some guy has created a nother version, with every non unhinged card ever. So you can make your dream deck.

here is your link: http://www.magic-league.com/download/apprentice.php

you need to download apprentice and then the ravnica patch, then the rest will be history... enjoy, post back if you fancy a game or anything..
medievalman26
I have a similar topic but mine is under hobbies.http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-51311.html&highlight=

I will also check out that apprentice game.
aneotoena
MMM apprentice is kind of lame, it lacks some relevant functions. Why don't you try Magic Workstation(MWS)? Harder to learn but is better in the end. You can even have pictures of the cards.
medievalman26
aneotoena wrote:
MMM apprentice is kind of lame, it lacks some relevant functions. Why don't you try Magic Workstation(MWS)? Harder to learn but is better in the end. You can even have pictures of the cards.

Yeah it does look better but if you don't have the cash to buy workstation then you should stick with apprentice.(which is what I am doing...no cash)
Abysmo
I love playing Magic, its an awesome game, but I seriously hate the fact that all the editions phase each other out so quickly. Wizards of the Coast would have to be some damn rich bastards. Trying to keep a deck type 2 is impossible, so people are constantly having to recreate decks, which means buying/trading more cards which means they make more money. I honestly don't ever remember there being so many different additions coming out as they have been putting out of the last couple of years.

And for those of us who are poor, it's even harder Crying or Very sad
Abysmo
I love playing Magic, its an awesome game, but I seriously hate the fact that all the editions phase each other out so quickly. Wizards of the Coast would have to be some damn rich bastards. Trying to keep a deck type 2 is impossible, so people are constantly having to recreate decks, which means buying/trading more cards which means they make more money. I honestly don't ever remember there being so many different additions coming out as they have been putting out of the last couple of years.

And for those of us who are poor, it's even harder Crying or Very sad
Saryon
I've never played Magic The Gathering, but I'm pretty sure it must be fun to play. The one thing I really like about that trading card game, are the cards itself.
Most of the time, I have no idea what they mean, but the graphics, the cards itself! That's just always such a nice piece of artwork. The people who draw it are really good.
I would buy it already just to have such cards Very Happy
medievalman26
Saryon wrote:
I've never played Magic The Gathering, but I'm pretty sure it must be fun to play. The one thing I really like about that trading card game, are the cards itself.
Most of the time, I have no idea what they mean, but the graphics, the cards itself! That's just always such a nice piece of artwork. The people who draw it are really good.
I would buy it already just to have such cards Very Happy

MTG does have some awsome artwork on there cards. Check there web card viewer if you want. (Try the newer cards at the top of the sets list)

http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/
stevedave
I haven't played magic since I was in middle school... That had to be, 10 years ago. Geez, that makes me feel old.... HAHA

It'd be nice to get back into the game, but i dont have money to build decks again.
Saryon
I've played it yesterday with a friend, he gave me a deck to play with. And it was fun. It's rather complicated to start playing with, but definately fun.
Alias
I've been playing Magic the Gathering since my high school days. But I quit because its too expensive for me. I don't have any extra money to buy some pack of cards anymore. Sad
Pikokola
I've playing it 1 years ago in the tutorial CD that I got frommy friend..and stop when I know that I should by the cards.... XD I prefer by a VGA card than Magic the Gathering Card XD
medievalman26
Alias wrote:
I've been playing Magic the Gathering since my high school days. But I quit because its too expensive for me. I don't have any extra money to buy some pack of cards anymore. Sad

I know what you mean I used to play every week at Friday Night Magic but now I play 2 times per set. One for the release event and one draft. It got real expensive really quickly. The release events are like $20 and drafts are $10.50. I still play casual with my friends. I started way back at mirage. How about you?
XIII
I'm as into MTG as you can get with a limited budget(I bought my first cards at the start of the 7th eddition, but couldn't find anyone to play against until 8th eddition core was released., but all my friends got out of it because everyone started calling them gay. I used to go to an unofficial duelist league that played every card game under the sun, but it closed. I can't wait to have someone to go against again, now I really need to get working on making money for that notebook.
faker_phil
I used to play (and collect) the cards game, but I stopped, and now I am sitting on some hundred bucks worth of stupid cards. Wonder if I'll ever get rid of them Smile
XIII
Quote:
I used to play (and collect) the cards game, but I stopped, and now I am sitting on some hundred bucks worth of stupid cards. Wonder if I'll ever get rid of them

I'm just gonna start over, all my cards except my best deck are going to one of my friends along with some other stuff in exchange for a psp.
medievalman26
XIII wrote:
I'm as into MTG as you can get with a limited budget(I bought my first cards at the start of the 7th eddition, but couldn't find anyone to play against until 8th eddition core was released., but all my friends got out of it because everyone started calling them gay. I used to go to an unofficial duelist league that played every card game under the sun, but it closed. I can't wait to have someone to go against again, now I really need to get working on making money for that notebook.

What country do you live in? I can show you a place depending on your country where you can play. pm me and I will try to help you out.
Lusiphur
I started playing years ago during the Wrath Cycle (Tempest Block) and stopped when Masques came out.

I didn't stop because the game stopped being fun, I stopped as my friends started taken it far to serious. The min a game becomes more than a game I have issues.

On the other hand, one of my mates just became the National Champion, so it's worked out well for him Smile
scion3
i love playing magic...hell my name is scion...lol
worksstaion is the bomb and u dont have to pay for it ..i just play it for free
my favorite decks i have are my
Little Bashtards(white weenie)W
mephidross machine gun(triskelion, mephidross vampire, rites of passage)BG
hells swarm(hell`s caretaker,symbiotice wurm,rukh egg)BG
and my clerics (doubless one,vile deacon,lightning greaves,)BW
and my blaze of glory deck(blistering firecat,viashino sandstalker, barter in blood, innocent blood) BR
Cov3r70ps
I paly MTG a lot. although it is on and off... All in all, it is a fun game to play when you know the right people.
I never have used apprentice, but I have used OCTGN a few times.
medievalman26
Lusiphur wrote:
I started playing years ago during the Wrath Cycle (Tempest Block) and stopped when Masques came out.

I didn't stop because the game stopped being fun, I stopped as my friends started taken it far to serious. The min a game becomes more than a game I have issues.

On the other hand, one of my mates just became the National Champion, so it's worked out well for him Smile

That is pretty cool about your friend. You should start playing again they just released a new set that is just awesome it is called time spiral. It has new cards in it but they reprinted some older cards including bad moon, avatar of woe, and several creatures with shadow. It is one of the best sets that has come out in a while.

scion3 wrote:
i love playing magic...hell my name is scion...lol
worksstaion is the bomb and u dont have to pay for it ..i just play it for free
my favorite decks i have are my
Little Bashtards(white weenie)W
mephidross machine gun(triskelion, mephidross vampire, rites of passage)BG
hells swarm(hell`s caretaker,symbiotice wurm,rukh egg)BG
and my clerics (doubless one,vile deacon,lightning greaves,)BW
and my blaze of glory deck(blistering firecat,viashino sandstalker, barter in blood, innocent blood) BR

Sion was a great card in its set. I still prefer avatar of woe. White weenie are fun until they released Isamaru, Hound of Konda he is a 2/2 for W with no draw backs. If you are interested I can give you a site for store locator for stores that have magic tournaments which is the best place to fiend friendly competiotion and to find people who have cards that you may want or just have fun playing there.
the magic website is

http://www.wizards.com/magic/welcome.asp?dcmp=MTG022006FP

the site for the store locator and tournament locator

http://webapp.wizards.com/tournaments.aspx

I wish you luck and never stop playing magic.
kucomp
Remember the Black Lotus guys? Laughing

I play Magic: The Gathering also. My collection contains cards from Alpha Edition to the Champions of Kamigawa. I don't really like the new sets, since they seem "cheaper" (as in better abilities, such as Platinum Angel or Traumatize) than the old sets, thus you have to buy new sets to stay in the top of the game and they make more money.

The old ones were classics like Urza, Ice Age, Gerrard, Dominaria, etc. Now these new cards take place in different places which I think suck, like Darksteel, Mirrodin, Kamigawa and etc.

Oh well, I do have some decent cards in my collection. I also play frequently on Magic Workstation.
medievalman26
kucomp wrote:
Remember the Black Lotus guys? Laughing

I play Magic: The Gathering also. My collection contains cards from Alpha Edition to the Champions of Kamigawa. I don't really like the new sets, since they seem "cheaper" (as in better abilities, such as Platinum Angel or Traumatize) than the old sets, thus you have to buy new sets to stay in the top of the game and they make more money.

The old ones were classics like Urza, Ice Age, Gerrard, Dominaria, etc. Now these new cards take place in different places which I think suck, like Darksteel, Mirrodin, Kamigawa and etc.

Oh well, I do have some decent cards in my collection. I also play frequently on Magic Workstation.

Do you still play real magic or just the online stuff. Also you, as well as any active magic player should buy some booster packs of the new set because it brought back old favorites like Bad Moon, Avatar of Woe, and Akroma. The name is Time Spirral just go to

Http://www.magicthegathering.com/

and see all the latest information on the game. This set reminds me of the fun days like around 1995-1999.
dyrtyrice
Yantaal wrote:

Magic the Gathering was such an awesome card game, great story, amazing artwork and really fun game to play. THe comics were also awesome! ANyone else check them out? I'd love to get down for some online magic the gathering playing. I'll check into getting Apprentice or something. More Later

Peace

Also, please donate any extra points if you feel like helping me out, I didn't have computer access for sometime and fell behind. Thanks
medievalman26
dyrtyrice wrote:
Yantaal wrote:

Magic the Gathering was such an awesome card game, great story, amazing artwork and really fun game to play. THe comics were also awesome! ANyone else check them out? I'd love to get down for some online magic the gathering playing. I'll check into getting Apprentice or something. More Later

Peace

Also, please donate any extra points if you feel like helping me out, I didn't have computer access for sometime and fell behind. Thanks

I know the feeling about the points I almost ran out a while ago. Just post a bunch of really long posts in a bunch of topics. Also I downloaded a few comics of Magic they are cool. Apprentice is a little odd but hey you get what you pay for. good luck with the point situatuion I will try and give you some OK?
Ghengis
I used to like it back in high school, when mere mortals could comprehend all the cards. Now it's like 3 phone books at 12 cards per page. IN-SANE. I keep trying to get the abandonware version of MTG (the Sid Meier one) working, but my XP PC seems to disagree with it.

UPDATE: I fixed several problems. First, make *sure* you run at 1024x768 max resolution. Second, many users only see one card when they run deck.exe -- you need to kill some process. Which process differs for different people; mine was rundll32.exe. Some report em_exec.exe, or drivers for various mice. Between these two fixes, I think everything works (knock wood).
medievalman26
Ghengis wrote:
I used to like it back in high school, when mere mortals could comprehend all the cards. Now it's like 3 phone books at 12 cards per page. IN-SANE. I keep trying to get the abandonware version of MTG (the Sid Meier one) working, but my XP PC seems to disagree with it.

UPDATE: I fixed several problems. First, make *sure* you run at 1024x768 max resolution. Second, many users only see one card when they run deck.exe -- you need to kill some process. Which process differs for different people; mine was rundll32.exe. Some report em_exec.exe, or drivers for various mice. Between these two fixes, I think everything works (knock wood).

With older programs you have to specify in XP that you want it to run in win95 or win98. If you don't know, you set an icon on the desktop and right click on it. You go to the compatibility tab, check the box run this program in compatibility mode for:. If that doesn't work let me know (pm) so I can try and help you further. Magic has gotten complicated but they now put the info in parenthese. eg Haste (This creature can attack and tap the first turn it comes into play.) So what was the name of the game I am interested in getting it as well.
Ghengis
To clarify for anybody who needs to know: AFAIK compatibility mode does not help, and can in fact make bugs worse for MtG under XP. You need to kill the right process, run in the right resolution, and that should (I think) be it. Compatibility mode tends to introduce a "Dave's Cool Timer" bug or something like that.

UPDATE: I said before that RUNDLL32.EXE was the culprit -- as some of you may know, RUNDLL lets you execute a function based on an entry point in a DLL, as though it was the "main" function. Process Explorer (thanks, sysinternals!) says it's being used for NVidia's NVIEW. So if you have an NVidia card (mine is a GeForce 4 Go), get Process Explorer (in case you have multiple RUNDLL instances), and kill the one for NView. BAM.
Saryon
I recently started playing it at University, I got to know some people there who play it.
So well ye, I joined them and started playing too.
It's really a good game, quite addictive too, at least for me. I'm always looking forward to the hour when we'll play Magic The Gathering.
Really, one damn good game!
benwhite
It's fun to play tournament style with a starter deck and then split a couple of boosters for each person (take one card and pass it on around the circle). My friends and I would never put up the cash to make serious decks, and to be honest, it kinda takes the fun out of it.

It was always better to start from scratch, make the best of what we could, and play a tourney between us. Last time I played was when mirrodin came out, whenever that was.
medievalman26
benwhite wrote:
It's fun to play tournament style with a starter deck and then split a couple of boosters for each person (take one card and pass it on around the circle). My friends and I would never put up the cash to make serious decks, and to be honest, it kinda takes the fun out of it.

It was always better to start from scratch, make the best of what we could, and play a tourney between us. Last time I played was when mirrodin came out, whenever that was.

Well in that case you should try that game that the person who started this subject recomended (workstation). I have heard it is a lot of fun to play on. Although I prefer to play against some one who is actually right in front of me.
Ghengis
Workstation sounds like it would be a pain in the ass to set up. A few questions:

a.) Is it easy to install?

b.) Is the interface easy to use?

c.) Can I play against an AI? I'd probably get whipped by most human players.

d.) Can I limit the cardsets I'm using? I like to at least have seen any cards I come up against at some point in the past.

The Sid Meier one passes (b), (c) and (d) (mostly), and isn't *too* bad for (a) -- some forum crawling will fix WinXP problems. If you don't care about playing against other players, Shandalar is the way to go.
norcalgurl12286
[b]I play MTG way to much I play every event and i'm down at our local shop just hanging out. I always buy two to three boxes when the new sets come out so i can keep up. My question is where do i go to test out decks for the newest sets
Mr_Howl
norcalgurl12286 wrote:
[b]I play MTG way to much I play every event and i'm down at our local shop just hanging out. I always buy two to three boxes when the new sets come out so i can keep up. My question is where do i go to test out decks for the newest sets

Try Magic Workstation. You can use any card in the cardpool, and you can play matches against people online. Of course, it's better if you have a friend to play against, since most of the online players are jerks.
foumy6
I use to play in weekly competitions, but I got fed up with having to buy new cards all the time to keep my decks "legal". So I said screw it, but I still sometimes play casually with my old illegal decks with my friends.
luciferfawkes
Yantaal wrote:
Well basically its magic online, but some guy has created a nother version, with every non unhinged card ever. So you can make your dream deck.

here is your link: http://www.magic-league.com/download/apprentice.php

you need to download apprentice and then the ravnica patch, then the rest will be history... enjoy, post back if you fancy a game or anything..

Thanks for showing me this Yantaal, I don't have my cards anymore nor do I have anyone to play the game with as well and I've been wanting to get back into the game for quite a while so I'll more than likely check this out. Thank you again.
Robert_
just because some fat guy at starcitygames or whatever says black lotus is worth 1500 bucks doesn't mean that it is actually worth that much. in fact if people refuse to buy the card he will never sell it most likely. my point is if you want MTG to decrease in price you've got to learn to say "no" to these mugs instead of shoveling out your dough to get cards they say you can't have unless you pay them your arm and leg. If they lost all of thier customers the "card prices" would drop through the floor. also thier "no reprint policy" is a bunch of crap.

Since Wizards of the Coast refuses to reprint thier powerful cards I will refuse to play thier stupid card game. or unless thier is some sort of massive price decrease on out of print cards.
mk12327
Magic the Gathering is one of my most favourite games. But I no longer play it anymore. I started off collecting the cards for the artwork, then later on moved on to casual playing with my school friends. It soon escalated to competitive playing, which in my opinion took the fun out of the game.

Along the way, I did trading of Magic the Gathering cards as a way to reduce my cost of sustaining this costly hobby. It took me several years to stop playing it, and another few years to pick it up again... But eventually I still gave it up. It was too costly to keep up, like many had mentioned, the sets just keep coming.

Well, I had my enjoyable times playing it, and I still considered it one of my favourites, but it is unlikely that I will be going back to playing it. Online version sounds interesting, since we do not have to keep inventory of the other common and uncommon cards that flood my room... Lol..
Robert_
i just saw 3 fake tropical islands on ebay the dude put some slight wear and tear on them to i guess make people think they were real.
mk12327
Robert_ wrote:
i just saw 3 fake tropical islands on ebay the dude put some slight wear and tear on them to i guess make people think they were real.

Haha... how do you know that the cards are fakes?
Robert_
Have you seen how much cards cost nowadays?? What kind of heartless little boy asks his poor mother for $50 to buy a "fat pack" a box full of stupid next to useless cards which obviously won't help him get anywhere in life. His mother probably had to work her ass off for that $50 and then a week later when he asks for $50 more for another fat pack plus another $45 for 1/4 of a box of booster packs and then tells her he's going to his friends house to do a booster draft which costs another $15 bucks. and then on Saturday he wants a ride to the local comic book store for another booster draft which costs $25. I have a few questions to ask... with the majority of america filing for bankruptcy. Are his parents millionaires?? Did they get rich selling drugs??? are they tapping into thier life savings just to fund thier kids gaming habit??? WTF?!?!?!?
donoob88
wow, i want to found out what is this apprenties are and the magic workstation

Well, this is the unofficial one (Apprentice): http://www.magic-league.com/download/apprentice.php/
drunkenkoz
I was thinking about getting back into this game the other week. All my friends are huge geeks and love card games like this.
ZeytinGrafik
I still play MtG with the real cards and the on my desktop pc. The microprose version of the game is far better then the new ones.
Mr_Howl
Robert_ wrote:
just because some fat guy at starcitygames or whatever says black lotus is worth 1500 bucks doesn't mean that it is actually worth that much. in fact if people refuse to buy the card he will never sell it most likely. my point is if you want MTG to decrease in price you've got to learn to say "no" to these mugs instead of shoveling out your dough to get cards they say you can't have unless you pay them your arm and leg. If they lost all of thier customers the "card prices" would drop through the floor. also thier "no reprint policy" is a bunch of crap.

Since Wizards of the Coast refuses to reprint thier powerful cards I will refuse to play thier stupid card game. or unless thier is some sort of massive price decrease on out of print cards.

An object is worth what people are willing to pay for it. As for Black Lotus, people will pay a lot.

I agree about the reprint policy though. They don't want to anger collectors by lowering the value of the cards, but I feel Vintage is on the decline due to the high cost of entry. They should sneak a few in booster packs (as they did once with the "Treasures", but the cards were not newly printed) to slow the rising costs. If Vintage dies, much of the value dies too.

But I guess that's why they have so many formats. If the price of Power deters you, you could play Legacy where Black Lotus is not allowed, or the newer "Modern" format.