FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Your College Majors

Damondred
Hey guys. What majors have you guys completed or are currently taking? Me, I am taking Civil Engineering. Post your major here! Maybe we can get a circle of some of the same majors going around to help each other on homework or design problems. I think that would be very neat.

Damon - Civil Engineering
Damondred
BUMP. Come on guys, lets see what everyone is interested in.
lordpe
When I start on college I will most likely start with Car Engeener.

I love cars Very Happy
Damondred
Sooo....Mechanical Engineer then I assume.
kam311
Information Systems (Software engineering, business analyst), with a business minor. Hopefully I'll be done sometime this century...Wink
bcnhs81
Im currently taking up Engineering Major in Electronics and Communciations. I love the course very much..
ryanh2006
Hello guys I just found this thread and I had to reply! I am a Marketing undergrad and I am loving it!! Its such an exciting major. I would love to one day work at a top firm and work on exciting Marketing projects because it would be a constant challenge and great fun! Its a dynamic and ever changing career and I hope that I will find a job that I will love as much as I am enjoying my undergrad Wink
simpleHalakhah
What happened to majors meant to understand and change the world: economics, anthropology, psychology, poli-sci, etc. ?
cws-online
I am thinking about going into computers and criminal justice.
cws-online
There are so many majors to choose from, times have changed and those majors have gone by the wayside. They are still important, but they arent that popular anymore.
ainieas
I'm majoring in English with a minor in Economics. But I actually like Economics more. I find it more definite. English, as a major, on the other hand is unbounded!
HoboBarticus
Ahh, other college kids. Its nice to see people learning. I am a Computer Programming major, with emphasis on Game development. My minor is in business. I am one of those kids who is always trying to make money, so hopefully this is a good combination.

A lot of engineering majors in here. I used to want to be an archetectural engineer, just sort of went by the wayside when I found out I could program an unbeatable Tic Tac Toe game.
schudder
I'm currently studying to be a civil engineer (1st year), but next year I'll be changing to IT, cause this engineering stuff isn't what it's cracked up to be. Sure, you get a nice title and it's not incredibly hard (assuming you have an analythic mind), but man... it's so mindnumbingly boring Razz
Shike
Wow, The humanities in general aren't very well represented at all. I graduated with a Major in Liberal Studies and a Minor in Philosophy. I also obtained my masters of Library and Information Science.
varun_dodla
Hey guyz all out there from ECE field....

I'm interested in Image Processing and Embedded Systems....anyone with similar interests feel free to share ur queries or opinions.....
dark_lard
I have an Associate of Science in Show Production and Touring

The school I went to is Full Sail

http://www.fullsail.com
benwhite
Neurobiology. Yay.
cloudship
my major is industrial engineering

however, the detailed subject is about human factor, which is called ergonomics in Europe.

i like evaluation of software interfaces, hehe, but no programmer
albert2008
My major is architecture and computer Science

Weird combination.
bigzero
Working on my Molecular Biochemistry and Biophysics degree. It sounds fancy and all, but it really isn't that special. Lots of chem and bio. I really like computer science, so I'll either get a minor in software engineering or go for a double major in computer science, which might be quite impossible... Sad
coolclay
I am majoring in Environmental Biology at Unity College. 2 more years to go! After that I still haven't decided on either a. Grad school, b. Work, c. Coast Guard. I have 2 more years to decide so we'll see what happens.
saveexclusive
I am majoring in Business mgt with a minor in commnications and sociology. It is pretty interesting and I am learning a whole lot. I am even applying what I learned and am strating my own business.
juliox
Hi Iīm a Mechanical Engineer wirh double major, one in Energy and the other in management...
atholas
I am a computer science and pure mathematics major... hopefully I'll get into grad school either next year or the year after Smile
luoleh
I was majored Information Media. After graducated, I can't find a suitable job around my area. I am so disappointed.

The reason I chose IM as the major was because it required the least credits and I could graducate sooner. Now.... I got what I paid for it.
essentialmedia
Well my degrees are in Sociology, Anthropology, Forensics and Film. Obviously I didn't use all that knowledge to teach or anything, just a film director now.

Works for me.
Wynand
Financial Accounting
Taxation
Auditing
Management Accounting

Boring he?
opsdaddy
I entered U.C. Berkeley in 1988 and was overwhelmed by how damn impressive so many students were. I had transferred from a junior college, but I was surrounded by students who were the valedictorians and salutatorians of their H.S. classes.

In short, I was intimidated as hell, and I kind of chose English as a "default" major. I didn't think I was skilled enough at math and the sciences to compete. Looking back, I wish I had had the courage to just go for it!
cnnet
I study biology in Pking unversity
nrjarchow
MA in Technical Communication - last year!!!

After next year I will likely begin working on my phd... should be fun
Lord Kuat
benwhite wrote:
Neurobiology. Yay.

Ditto. Or was; now I'm a med student. Graduated last year.
Aless
I just graduated with a BA in International Studies (History as an emphasis), and now I'm going for my Master's next fall.
lara
I took up Computer Engineering and I just graduated last year. I'm currently working as an associate software engineer and yes... I'm at work now. Razz

Any body here who has the same course as mine? Smile
benjicook
I am undertaking a major in Computer Engineering, and a minor in Electrical Engineering as well as Business.
hanselpun
I took Chemical and Biological Engineering. It was a long time ago and I wish I was still in school!! Work sucks.
nhuabo
Damondred wrote:
Hey guys. What majors have you guys completed or are currently taking? Me, I am taking Civil Engineering. Post your major here! Maybe we can get a circle of some of the same majors going around to help each other on homework or design problems. I think that would be very neat.

I come from China,jiangsu Province.I study in Haerbin Institude Technology in weihai which is short for HIT.

The major I study now IN university is Computer Technology.
I like it very much,I like programming,surfing the net,play computer games.
Is there any one of you learning computer technology?
I think we can intercourse with each other ,though I don't do well in my study!You can help me,I have many programmimg questions to ask.And I am very interested in study from other countries.
I am here Waiting for your replies,my best friends.

I also want to know if there is a promising will for people with IT.It is not hot now,it is like this in my country.
atlanStudios
I'm Doing Bachlor Degree Program In Architecture (Building Architecture). As well Im doing Multimedia Program.('Smile')

Quote:
My College Pic:

[/b]
darvit
I have quite a predicament, actually. Sad

I love computers and web design. I'm also quite the "writer" type, and everyone expects me to take up journalism or English or anything of that sort. Ever since I was a child, I've psyched myself up to take BS Biology and get on to med school to be a doctor. Things have changed as I got in my dream school as a BS Industrial Pharmacy major. Then my family moved to another country, and taking me with them, I have to switch schools. I want to continue my Pharmacy undergrad studies, but then again, I realized how much I hate Chemistry and Math! [Pre-Pharmacy undergrad is BS Chemistry, Pre-Pharmacy:(]. I'd rather take up Biology or English--which I am relatively good at.

If I took up Pharmacy, it's a stable and a clear-cut career [not to mention the very good pay], but I just suck at Chem and Math. Journalism wouldn't give me a defined career path later on, but then again, I'm quite good at it.

So now, I'm still confused. Crying or Very sad I didn't get to answer the topic's question properly, did I? Embarassed
m00tmuffin
Will be undertaking a four year degree/bachelor's in Graphic Design this September. Smile
Sappho
Major in English literature and Pedagogy minor.

Its been some time since i finished it, now i teach creative writing at the same Uni i went to. Its not that great job, but works for me plus i do freelance art/design couse i have a lot of free time. Wink
Zechtor
Starting this fall im attending classes at UF! (Florida Rules!) I spent all of highschool doing math and physics related things such as Mu Alpha Theta , Physics olympiad , etc. .. but when I got on campus I decided that I didn't find them interesting at all. In a rather abrupt decision, I switched tracks and am currently scheduled to double major in biochemistry and criminology Shocked . Im a little nervous, but very excited to start classes in the fall!
ankur.vatsa
were Mechanical Engg (Automobiles) & then International Marketing and Finance, and then . . . I ended up in computer engineering Very Happy
eruct
I am currently studying graphic design at Columbia College Chicago. I am going into my final year. I love the program but cannot wait to get out!
crimson_aria
I'm currently taking up Industrial Engineering.
IvyA
I'm double majoring in art history and psychology. I plan on going for a phd in clinical psych after i finish my undergrad work.
Sl1cK
I'm going to be a Web Design Major, starting this fall
milkmandan
i'm going to the university of toronto for fine art history and german studies. sprechen sie deutsch!?
suntzu3500
Currently, undeclared major, getting the general courses out of the way at my local community college so I can jump into the fun stuff when I transfer to a university on turning 18.

I want to do a dual major in Applied Mathematics and Nuclear Engineering.
SlowWalkere
Wow, that's a lot of engineering people. I guess that's to be expected on a forum geared towards computing.

I was going to be a computer science major (and I was, for one semester), but I couldn't stand taking any more math classes. They bored me to death (probably because the Calc and Stat classes they placed me in when I got to Rutgers were almost exact repeats of the Calc and Stat classes I took in high school), so I got out of that real quick and switched to a Political Science (mostly philosophy/theory, but some comparitive politics) major with a History minor. I'm currently a graduate student, pursuing a Masters in Education, and hope to be a high school social studies teacher after this last year. I'm doing my student teaching internship this fall, so hopefully all goes well and I still want to be a teacher after that.

- Walkere
ranciel
There are so many engineering people in this forum! I feel quite out of place now. Heh. Confused

I've just graduated with a diploma from film school. Right now, I'm waiting for university to start, majoring in English Linguistics.

I hope to lecture in the future in either media studies or language studies. And while lecturing, I hope to do freelance writing for film and TV.

Right now, I am doing some freelance writing and I'm loving it.

Smile
Bitmonkey
ranciel: That is very cool indeed. Even though I'm not doing it for a major, I love studying language roots and evolution, plus I love to take creative writing classes, even though most everything I write I dispise Smile . So props to you!

I'm majoring in Architecture. Part of this is because I just love drawing drafting documents. I guess that's a bit odd, but when something comes out just right after ten hours at the drafting table, it's quite exhilarating.

If there were enough hours in the day, I would also want to study Animation (Traditional and Computer), Graphic Design, Music (I play both piano and french horn, though I'm starting to get a bit rusty), and Language. That may sound a bit over-reaching, but the fact of the matter is that I'm just too lazy Confused .
urbanbuddha
SlowWalkere wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of engineering people. I guess that's to be expected on a forum geared towards computing.

I was going to be a computer science major (and I was, for one semester), but I couldn't stand taking any more math classes. They bored me to death (probably because the Calc and Stat classes they placed me in when I got to Rutgers were almost exact repeats of the Calc and Stat classes I took in high school), so I got out of that real quick and switched to a Political Science (mostly philosophy/theory, but some comparitive politics) major with a History minor. I'm currently a graduate student, pursuing a Masters in Education, and hope to be a high school social studies teacher after this last year. I'm doing my student teaching internship this fall, so hopefully all goes well and I still want to be a teacher after that.

- Walkere

^^
I know what you mean, Comp Sci is pretty difficult... The only problem I have when they are teaching languages to me, especially though designed for online application, most of the employers don't use it. i.e jsp, they rather use PHP or PERL, since they are open source and license free. Good thing frihost offers it, so that I can get some practice =)

Computer Science and Culture Communication and Information Technology (CCIT, basically media studies)

At the University of Toronto (Canada)
ranciel
Hey Bitmonkey, thanks! Smile

Props to you too! Architecture is not an easy field. All the best for everything.

And yes, don't be lazy! Learn as much as you can, while you still can. Heh.
cloudship
i study Industrial Engineering, which in german is Wirtschaftingenieurwesen.

my major is HCI, human computer interaction

who has the some direction?
cyph33r
I'm doing Electrical Engineering majoring in Computer Science.
carlospro7
I am majoring in Computer Science at Ohio University. I do not know much about computer programming so I hope I do well. This is going to be my first year and I am nervous because I'm sure there is going to be that nerd in my class that happens to know everthing about computers. ohhhh, You computer geeks!
standready
Mechanical Engineering.
theSilverstein
I majored in English at Binghamton University. I chose the major because I'm naturally talented whne it comes to writing papers about literature, and I had plans on going to law school (which I will be doing next year). English is a good major for law school bound people as it helps build analytical skills, writing skills, and research skills. I ended up with a 3.9+ major GPA, so that was cool.
walrus
I am majoring in Linguistics and in Japanese. Every once in a while I get some really weird reactions to that, mainly because because some people just have no clue what linguistics actually is. Plus I occassionally run into people who don't seem to realize Japan and China are different places. It can make for some funny conversations though.
marioflory
Electrical Engineering
dac_nip
Im currently studying BS Physics, planning to shift to Applied Physics next school year. school life is tough but enjoyable Very Happy
moonshadowinn
I'm studing Computer Engineering. Its a rather interesting field of study. Smile
evilryu530
communication design, graphic design andmarketing.
tylergram
Deleted
en1gmatikk
I am currently a Master's student in Electrical Engineering. Doing research in wireless communications and have managed to get a couple of technical papers published Surprised
purin
Marketing Wink
may go for an additional major in Economics and specialization in International Business
marcmgeronimo
My undergraduate was Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communications Engineering. Now my grad school major is in Technology Management.
hellosailor
I'm only taking Russian litterature history this semester. I was going to go into 4 year architecture program, but because i've got so many other things going on right now, I'd rather wait with that until next fall.
zenkirevolutions
I'm not in college until next spring, I am drawn to major in Biology.
Rad Ultima 2
Just started college and I love it. Majoring in Computer Science. Having trouble with my core classes though... History is already killing me. Sad Will definitely need a tutor sometime soon.
benwhite
Neurobio, whee.
medievalman26
I am dual majoring in Cardiovascular Radiology Thecnology and Computer Networking
altmana
Philosophy -- The only major that has serious discussions about zombies and alternate universes--you gotta love that.
blubblabbie
I had two majors. The first one was Corporate finance and the other one was Financial Markets & Monetary Economics
handles
I have only just begun to study accounting (this is my first quarter), but everything so far is bizarrely entertaining. It's far more enjoyable than I'd thought it would be -- up until now I was half-joking when I told people I wanted to be an accountant. Smile
venkateshwarans
Mine is a computer science degree. I like embedded system design. My other interests include game development and web designing.
littletomi714
I want to major in Computer Science, and minor in Criminal Justice, or Law.
Jayfarer
Creative Writing! Hoping things will work out.

I have no idea what I want to (realistically) do with it after college. But, the classes are what I've always dreamed of, so at least I'm doing what makes me happy.
zeene
Rad Ultima 2 wrote:
Just started college and I love it. Majoring in Computer Science. Having trouble with my core classes though... History is already killing me. Sad Will definitely need a tutor sometime soon.

Computer Science too, sorry you are having trouble with your core classes, I know it's though but let passion drive you.

History [101], dough, it's kinda though too with all those dates and stuffs but I kinda found a strategy for reading and writing history and ended up with an A+.
bassman
Hi, My major is violin performance. After deciding it wasn't going to get me very far, I added a math major. I still don't know what I'm going to do, but I feel like I have a few more things to offer. Anybody have any ideas for a good career for a math major who know a lot about music?
Alias
Hello guys! I'm currently taking BS Computer Science and I really like it.

I'm a 4th year college student and I'm working for my thesis project right now. Hopefully I will graduate this year.

After I graduate, I'm planning to take a Masters Degree in Information Technology. Smile

Taking some certifacations like MCP and CCNA are some of my plans too.

Wish me gudluck guys.

Cheers!
Eneru
Well, goodluck to you mate! Smile
I.T related courses are interesting. No wonder a lot are taking it these days. Smile
pashmina
GP, maths, business accountings, economics, business studies, computer
thats all.
Wolverine100
i am trying to major in business adm bachlor degree.
zplitstonez
hello everyone. Good day to all of you.

I'm taking up Bachelor of Science in Information Technology.
I want to be a web designer someday....

With the help of God, I can make it. whatever it takes.
I'm sure I'll be able to reach it...
bassman
I am majoring in music and computer science. Two degrees and five years. And I'm quite burned out now!! If I had to do it all over again, I think I'd try to do at least a math minor as well, but maybe that wouldn't have helped my burnout.... OK, it DEFINITELY wouldn't help my burnout!
DocWonton
im hoping to get a double major in Biology with a Premed emphasis. Hopefully a EE minor, if time will allow. I heard EE is hard >.>
robohobo
I'm going to NCSA for film next semester, should be interesting and fun.
rheanna
Criminal Justice-Forensic Pathologist-But have to be elected to become a pathologist from being an on-scene crime investigator with the Homicide Division for a certain amount of years . But, seeing as I have a disability and will never be able to go into the forces or special ops thinking about switching it into computer programming. I'm only good for a desk job. And, any physical I take I'm out the door. GRR, Scoliosis and I wish I never had that operation done now. Crying or Very sad
creakinator
BS in chemistry

MS in forensic chemistry

Christy
snoworshine
Mechanical Engineering concentration in Mechatronics
ashish2005
I am studying Bachelors In Business Administration (BBA) right now. I think that the main objective of this course is related to business administration and that must be my majors.
jsk02a
I'm a little different than most of you...

I majored in Political Science and English with an emphasis in Pre-Law. Interesting being able to delve into Technical Writings while at the same time reading some of the great classics and dissecting them. Overall, I believe both majors helped eachother.
DILLIGAF
Elementary Education. Smile
bangala
Electrical Engineering here Smile
Liu
Computer Science dept of Engineering, I graduate in a few months.
Aiz
walrus wrote:
Plus I occassionally run into people who don't seem to realize Japan and China are different places.

Shocked XDD I'd love to meet someone like that! Although, I've met people who think Japanese is very similar to Chinese, to the extend that for a Chinese to learn Japanese should be a piece of cake. (Although it's not, well a bit easier than western language speakers, but Japanese is still a different language.)

I'm Majoring in Japanese while minoring in Chinese and Korean. I'm a native speaker of Chinese, but I thought, I might as well get some "formal" training and credential for it. My mom also wants me to minor in Computer Science since that's what I was good at and liked before I landed on languages. Meh, I don't want to only get one degree and a bunch of minors. That would look so weird on my resume... >_<
Afaceinthematrix
I want to major in either mathematics or physics
kiranaghor
I am doing my first year in College. I have enrolled for a course with subjects statistics, electronics, mathematics and computer science. I will choose computer science as my major next year.
bassman
I am, of all things, a mathematics major as well as a violin performance major. Music was the original major until I added on the math. Actually, since music has been so central to my degree so far, I haven't really figured out what kind of math job I would want to try to get. Does anyone have any suggestions about a job that would be good for a math major?? Any help would be great!
zellar
Currently going for a MIS degree but thinking of getting a job that would allow me to continue school and get a CS degree. I feel that there is more available to people with comp sci degrees. Opinions?
roninmedia
Formerly a materials engineering major and now a biology major.
jayrelle
I am a computer science major!.. Very Happy
madmonk
International Business management studies..

International communication media...
mutouren
I took life science major during unversity
while I work in a berverage company now
Sad
i choose the major for my interest
but I couldn't find a suitable job
and have to take the job now Confused
starfish2007
well i have taken genral arts and sience am just about to finish off my computer programming program at my college
rheanna
June I start my Medical Terminology class. Wish me luck. Already got the book and started reading the first couple of chapters tonight. OMG So much stuff to remember. If I pass I can go into the CPT program.
vinx_18
I took Bachelor of Science in Information Technology and I graduated last March 2007. I am so glad because I got a job just this April. Smile
jenice
When I first started out, I did a double major in Psychology and Nursing. I actually put them together unintentionally, meaning to use the nursing to support myself while I finished school for the Psychology. However, it turned out to be a lucrative combination that is hard for employers to find.
notbroken
Computer Science

Andy
Teri
Damondred wrote:

Hi, I went to college to get my CPA and went almost two years and went into business for myself for the last 15 years. Now that has taken a dive so I started back to school. Instead of needing two claases to get my associates i now need 7. So, because I think I will be very good at nursing and I know that I desperately need the skills to help my two boys survive into adulthood I am going to become an RN. Though, I should have long ago become a vet. HUGE advice -- DO SOMETHING THAT YOU LOVE AND HAVE A PASSION FOR. HOPEFULLY THE MONEY WILL FOLLOW.
Afaceinthematrix
Physics
Mathematics

The two best subjects in the world! And they are also some of the best to major in, because they are needed so finding a job is easier than if you major in something like Computer Science where those majors are a dime a dozen.
Afaceinthematrix
mutouren wrote:
I took life science major during unversity
while I work in a berverage company now
:(
i choose the major for my interest
but I couldn't find a suitable job
and have to take the job now :?

If you have a degree in life science, have you ever thought about getting a teaching credential and teaching? If you love it so much, you can always teach it.
darkjustice
Im from Pakistan and not too familiar with the way college majors work. What I understand is that for US liberal arts colleges you have one major, which you can take a year to confrim, and then a few other subjects you want to do. How different is the work load/importance of your major as compared to that of the other subjects? I'm applying to colleges this year and need to decide between the US and the UK. In the UK i take it there is a greater focus on studying only the line of work one wants to take up later on. How much of a difference will there be in the course of a Physics major student in the Us and a student doing a bachelor in Physics from the Uk

Thanks!
noisette
E-Commerce, and English as the second major.

I find this system sensible, but not works in my university. Otherwise I would be probably taking jounalism now.
Quote:
What I understand is that for US liberal arts colleges you have one major, which you can take a year to confrim, and then a few other subjects you want to do.
cvkien
i'm taking psychology counseling, going to take clinical psychology.
germy7
studying nutrition and food (bachelors degree)
typingphenom2007
I am taking IT/Networking and Security and I love computers, I am a computer geek to the max. I am on the computer 24/7 typing and posting and surfing the internet. Keeping the computers and the computer users safe. I guess I could call myself computer police if you will or computer defenders.
B. Law, B. Communication. Am in the first of five years.
tomahawk19
I am currently attending Washington State University for a double major and a minor. I am studying Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, and my minor is Computer Science. Yes they are all different fields. With this combination of degrees I will be able to do anything I want with my future career. Which hopefully will involve designing processors or microchips for anything. Razz I just love working with circuits and I love programming, so this is an excellent choice for me. I have the rest of this school year and next school year till I am done. I will keep you posted if you want Razz