FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Creating a limited user in Linux

Jamatu
I'm trying to make my website secure, all the files in /var/www/html/ are currently owned by root which i'm sure is a security risk.

I want to create a user that can only access /var/www/html/ and all folders/files within that folder. How would I go about doing this and would I need to chown all the files in the html folder?

I'm using Fedora Core 4 btw
virhilo
You can delete orginal folder /var/ww/html/ and create a symlink to directory on that name in the user home catalog
Jamatu
virhilo wrote:
You can delete orginal folder /var/ww/html/ and create a symlink to directory on that name in the user home catalog

That made no sense to me whatsoever Confused
Nyizsa
DON'T DO ANYTHING!!!!
I think you are a bit confused. Everything is good this way. The files (and directories) are OWNED by root. This doesn't mean that everybody have root permissions on them. The case is the exact opposite. Being root the owner, only root has write permission on them, everyone else have only read and execute (assuming a 755). So, there is no security risk!
If you want to make webpages on your localhost, you may want to make a new directory as root and then chmod it to make you the owner. This way you will have a place to save your html to.
I hope it helped.
Jamatu
Yeah thanks alot, i'm still pretty new when it comes to users and groups in linux Wink