FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the best Graphic card?

snaketrgm
I want to buy a graphic card to play games. But i wonder What is the best Graphic card. Don't think only theirs Graphic Aperture Size, their speed But also their price.

I think Geforce 9800 Pro is good enough to buy. What do you think?
Jamatu
You mean the Geforce 6800 Pro?
Anyway it depends on what type of graphics port you have for AGP the best graphics card imo currently is the Geforce 7800 GS CO Superclock. It performs great on some of the curret markets most graphics intensive games, it will also be one of the last good AGP cards as PCIe is fast becoming the standard.

For PCIe the best would either be the ATI X1900's or the new Geforce 7900's
funforum
I think Geforce 6800pro doesn't exist Twisted Evil
in fact the great card for 150/170€ or $ is Nvidia 6800Ultra or ATI X800GTO² (you can transform it in ATI X850XT PE), you can also choose a card like 6600GT (good card for a not hardcore gamer)
but when you buy a card, have a good look on the difference between AGP or PCIE slots.

ps: i have one 6800ULTRA and i play BF2 with all max, i've bought this card for 189€ last year, so now i think you have a choice Cool
Urahara
X1900 XTX is probably the best single card.

X1900 XTs or GeForce 7900 GTXs in CrossFire/SLi are the best combos in multi-GPU solutions, I'm not entirely sure which one is better, but X800s or 6800s definately aren't on top anymore.
psycosquirrel
2 7900GTs in SLI.

I have heard (correct me if I am wrong) that Crossfire is worse than SLI, because both cards run at 8x instead of the standard 16x bus speed that can be accomplished with a high-end board. Either way though, you will have WAY more graphics power than you will ever need.
Jaiye
psycosquirrel wrote:
Either way though, you will have WAY more graphics power than you will ever need.

Confused

You mean "More then you'll need for at least the next year" Wink
psycosquirrel
Laughing But by then, your two $500 cards will be "obsolete"
Zacku
Could you just suggest a rough idea of how much these grafix cards would cost ?

Im pretty sure they will cost a lot !! Laughing Shocked
sush
A Mid-range card would do much justice to your pocket; try out the PowerColor X800XT which sells for around Rs. 8000 /- here in India ($170?) or any of Nvidia's 6600GT (superb price/performance).

If you don't mind spending some extra bucks try out either of ATI's high range cards such as X1900 or Nvidia's 6800GT - Rs. 25000 ($500?)

If you don't mind spending further, go for 2x Nvidia 7800GTX (I won't talk about ATI Crossfire) in SLI. $1000 or slightly higher. Worth the cash for Doom 3.

You might want to get a new motherboard if you're stuck with an older one. Being SLI- or Crossfire-ready is ALWAYS going to be a huge relief.
ocalhoun
Jamatu wrote:
You mean the Geforce 6800 Pro?

He means the Radion 9800 Pro from ATI...
I think.
Sebaci
sush wrote:
Worth the cash for Doom 3.

This game does not require so good graphisc cards Wink 2x GF 7800 GTX are good for F.E.A.R and Chronicles of Riddick. The best graphics card is yesterday released card (rather two joined cards) GF 7900 GX2. And if you have 2x7900 GX2 it will be 4 GPU-s (in Quad SLI). It gives really really big power
CijaBabaBombuNosi
I think that GeForce graphic cards are the best! And the best series are 7xxx!!! I am using GeForce EN6600GT and it is great!
Urahara
Last time I checked, the top scoring rigs on 3DMark 06 consists of two Radeon X1900 XTs in CrossFire. Is this still true? Also, 7900 GTs in SLI definately won't out-perform 1900 XTs in CrossFire or 7900 GTX 256/512 MB models in SLI.
Sebaci
Urahara wrote:
Last time I checked, the top scoring rigs on 3DMark 06 consists of two Radeon X1900 XTs in CrossFire. Is this still true? Also, 7900 GTs in SLI definately won't out-perform 1900 XTs in CrossFire or 7900 GTX 256/512 MB models in SLI.

Radeon X1900 XTX is better than X1900 XT...
psycosquirrel
ATI is still ahead, Urahara. ATI and Crossfire is still too expensive in comparison to the NVIDIA and SLI counterparts. The scores in 3DMark don't indicate anything about gaming performance either; both sets will give you enough fps in any game on max settings, max resolution, etc that you will not be able to tell the difference.

As for the best graphics choice, I would go with 2 7900GTs in SLI on a 16x board. There is not much difference between the GTX and the GT (I have actually heard you can confuse the GT into running as a GTX, with the same performance and everything).
Sebaci
If I were you I would wait until June or July for geForce8 which will support directx 10
ForceRun
Nvidia has been ahead of ATi sence the GeForce6 cards came out. Plus ATi's crossfire can't compete at all with SLI.

Right now I thing the most bang for your buck is a 7800GT on sale $250-300. I got the 6800GT and it will play almost any game full graphics with nice FPS. I can play F.E.A.R. full out, which makes for a beautiful game. If you are looking for a cheaper solution grab the 6600GS, still a sweet card that can play most game close to full out, and it only cost $100. You could even grab two and run SLI. But personally I would much rather have one highend GeForce than any SLI or Crossfire set up that would cost the same.

Yea SLI has nice benchmarks but you trade power for quality. SLI in my option is still way to expensive. Why spend $500-$1400 for a setup that will only last you as long as a single card setup for less than half the price.

Go to Tom's Hardware Guide and check the charts, they have all of the cards and their benches, plus what really matters the in game performances. Arrow
vicskyline
i think the best card out is the 7800gtx. espessially from bfg. Hook urself up with 2 o those and that all u need untill the 7900gtx comes out Very Happy
MYP415
I'd go with geforce7800 or the ATI X1900XTX. Both those companies are in a long battle right now trying to beat the others best card so expect to see even better cards coming soon.
psycosquirrel
vicskyline wrote:
i think the best card out is the 7800gtx. espessially from bfg. Hook urself up with 2 o those and that all u need untill the 7900gtx comes out Very Happy

Isn't the 7900 GTX out? I know the GT is...
william
I'm not very sure what the best card would be. I suppose it depends on how you're going to use it. Also, I think the amount of memory matters too. Well, I personally like ATI better than Nvidia, and I can give you an exact model if I knew how much memory you wanted.
technology.sponge
gigabyte geforce 7900gtx sli
Sebaci
XFX GeForce 7900 GX2 Quad SLI Exclamation There's nothing better now Exclamation
Helios
For 3D Art and movie editing, I'd say something like:
Dual 3Dlabs Visual Processing Units 640MB GDDR3 (PCI Express x16).

Or: ATI's FireGL 1GB GDDR3 (PCI Express x16).

Prices: from 1500 - 1900 USD.

For games? Check ATI's and nVidia's sites.
If you have the money, you can equip 4 video cards as Dual SLI or Dual CrossFire.
For Dual SLI/CF with the latest vid.cards(7900 and x1900) prices are: between 2300-2600 USD I guess..
Sebaci
Helios wrote:
For 3D Art and movie editing, I'd say something like:
Dual 3Dlabs Visual Processing Units 640MB GDDR3 (PCI Express x16).

Or: ATI's FireGL 1GB GDDR3 (PCI Express x16).

Prices: from 1500 - 1900 USD.

For games? Check ATI's and nVidia's sites.
If you have the money, you can equip 4 video cards as Dual SLI or Dual CrossFire.
For Dual SLI/CF with the latest vid.cards(7900 and x1900) prices are: between 2300-2600 USD I guess..

What do you think about Quad SLI Question Look there: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=370089&source=froogle
And when you have 2 cards like that you have 4 GPU's, and it's almost two time s better than GF 7900 GTX in SLI
untouchable
for me the best card is 7800gtx but its too expensive
i wanna buy a 7600gt for 190€
eLto
You can get the best card simply by buying an ATi or NVIDIA card. but the most expensive one, and that's basically how it works Razz
psycosquirrel
Sebaci wrote:

What do you think about Quad SLI Question Look there: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=370089&source=froogle
And when you have 2 cards like that you have 4 GPU's, and it's almost two time s better than GF 7900 GTX in SLI

Actually it is not, because of the cards both running on 1 slot. Therefore, one of those cards will be SLOWER than 2 independent cards in 32SLI. With that much GPU processing, the PCI-E bus becomes a major bottleneck.
Sebaci
psycosquirrel wrote:
Sebaci wrote:

Actually it is not, because of the cards both running on 1 slot. Therefore, one of those cards will be SLOWER than 2 independent cards in 32SLI. With that much GPU processing, the PCI-E bus becomes a major bottleneck.

Youre wrong, in PCI-E with nForce 4 SLI x16 each card has 8 GB/s, it gives 4 GB/s for each GPU, that's enough for them. When you give 2 GF 7900 GTX to ASUS A8N-SLI Premium you have 4 GB for one GPU too and there's no bottleneck.
psycosquirrel
Okay, then, I was wrong Laughing

If that is the case, then how much bandwidth does an average card use? I am actually considering going SLI now (because I can get a mATX standard SLI board for my build CHEAPER than the standard)
Sebaci
psycosquirrel wrote:
Okay, then, I was wrong Laughing

If that is the case, then how much bandwidth does an average card use? I am actually considering going SLI now (because I can get a mATX standard SLI board for my build CHEAPER than the standard)

If you wnat to buy 2 cards like GeForce 7900 GTX the mainbords with nForce 4 SLI will be good too. When you have mainboard with nForce 4 SLI and two cards, each GPU has 4 GB/s and it's much more than they need Wink But if you when you buy mainboard with nForce 4 SLI X16 chipset each GPU has 8 GB/s. Mainboard with nForce 4 SLI X16 is required for Quad SLI, for dual SLI there's no need to buy mainboard with this chipset. Card like GeForce 6800 GT uses more than 2 GB of bandwidth rarely. The best cards like GF 7900 GTX will never use more than 3 GB Wink As I said, in SLI you have 4 GB for each GPU, so there's nothing to be warried about Wink
psycosquirrel
OOO sweetness.

In that case, I am DEFINENTLY going SLI on my mATX build. Too bad my parents won't loan me $200, or I could order it now Laughing
pat2tones
ATI
bassgs_17
According to a review on www.bit-tech.net, those new 7900 chips are just not quite as good as the high-end ATI cards with 512. Naturally, these are all PCI-e, so I have to replace my POS $50 mobo. But I'm employed, so what the heck? Feel free to visit www.aquastrike.be; I have a news article under the "computers" section.

-Aquastrike
Frozen Balrog
The best performace for really low price is the GeForce 6600 it suprised me when i put it in a friends build how well it did i outdid my expectations for it. Anyway but for a not quite as cheap i'd go for the GeForce 7900 GTX 512 or go SLI if u got lots of money Laughing yeah, i'm pretty happy with my 6800GT but still go big or stay at home hehe.
eternalwarriors
the best one...

6800gtx
6900gtx

i use 6800gt ... it isn't the best one, but it#s good

mfg
thuganomics
Best deal is 6800GT or x800GT, x800GT is cheaper AND performs almost as good as x800XT when you overclock. x800GT is known for a good overclocker, but my 6800GT is doing really good in every single game there is!
psycosquirrel
But both are "outdated" because there are newer series cards Wink

Best card for the money right now is the 7600GT. Best overall is still the 7900GT (massive GTX price increase is NOT worth it), but that is not taking into account the rediculously expensive ATI cards.