FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Internet Explorer Bug





garionw
I had just installed ie7 BETA. i have now unistalled it but when i type in an address in ie6 it opens in firefox. I have XP pro SP2
elekis
and you call that a prob???

first reinstall ie6 and after check option of ie to make ie your first navigator
martindecorte
Or you could consider to use firefox as default browser... Rolling Eyes
Zuwiki
martindecorte wrote:
Or you could consider to use firefox as default browser... Rolling Eyes


That would be the worthwhile way to go, I believe.

I can't believe anyone still uses (or ever used) IE and they think IE7 is going to be any less a waste of time.
AftershockVibe
garionw wrote:
I had just installed ie7 BETA. i have now unistalled it but when i type in an address in ie6 it opens in firefox. I have XP pro SP2


Am I the only person that thinks this is hilarious? Microsoft's software not only breaks itself but other MS software at the same time. Truly brilliant programming. You seriously consider using IE6 after that atrocity??!

Anyway... the problem probably lies with some random registry setting unfortunately. You could try searching for firefox.exe and see if changing suspect keys to iexplore.exe works, but be careful!

Also check that IE6 is set to be your default browser.
mOrpheuS
elekis wrote:
and you call that a prob???
martindecorte wrote:
Or you could consider to use firefox as default browser... Rolling Eyes
Zuwiki wrote:
I can't believe anyone still uses (or ever used) IE and they think IE7 is going to be any less a waste of time.
AftershockVibe wrote:
Am I the only person that thinks this is hilarious? Microsoft's software not only breaks itself but other MS software at the same time. Truly brilliant programming. You seriously consider using IE6 after that atrocity??!


Indeed.

Only thing everybody just forgot to mention is the fact that IE7 is a beta software - a work in progress.
Please don't expect everything to be fine and dandy when you install, use or uninstall it.

Moreover, if you install two versions of the same piece of software, one on top of the other, and then uninstall the later one ... what do you expect to happen ?
Is it really so surprising that the uninstaller for IE7 removed a certain IE related registry entry ? Eh?


BTW, are you still using Firefox after this "attrocity" ?

The only thing we don't find on that thread is, anybody suggesting the user to swith to IE, or making fun of his choice of browser, or making sarcastic comments about the "brilliance" of programming in Firefox.
Mind you, that's a memory-hole in Firefox not just a minor problem with its uninstaller.
I wonder what would have happened if someone reported a memory hole in IE ... Rolling Eyes
Bones
I don't understand why so many people have a hate on for IE either. If you are a security newbie then FF is the way to go, but I have heard so many people slam IE because of it's security flaws, but yet have never had a single problem (even IE 7 Beta 2 works great on my pc)
Yet you never hear anyone speak badly towards FF even though it doesnt support ActiveX and doesnt even work very well with java, not to mention the fact the Ff is slower than death. I can open pages twice as fast in IE as in FF.
Of course IE collects more spyware than FF does. Currently 80% of internet users are surfing with IE...if you were designing spyware to attack a browser...which one would you choose?
The only feature that FF has that I truly love is the find feature (ctrl-f) and how it searches on the fly and displays the text in red if no matches are found. I think every browser should have that. Other than that feature, FF has nothing to offer me.
headoncollision
[quote="Zuwiki"]
martindecorte wrote:

I can't believe anyone still uses (or ever used) IE and they think IE7 is going to be any less a waste of time.


Ever since FF came out with it's cute easier to customize browser, everyone can't help but bag on IE. To me, it's exactly the same - only appears cleaner. And isn't as friendly when it comes to ftp uploading. At least for me.
mages4life
I used FF when it first came out years ago. I went back to IE because of the limited websites that would show correctly. I recently got interested in IE7 because of the tabbed browsing, which is the reason I even considered many times to go back to FF. I've been using IE7 for about a month now and I have found very little issues with it. I love the sleeker less cluttered GUI and the tabs are PERFECT! Why did you uninstall IE7? I love it!
Bones
I love it too, am using it right now as a matter of fact. I know some people that have uninstalled it due to various strange issues, such as buttons not working etc, but they seem to be machine specific.

Thats one thing I get a kick out of...someone installs beta software and it doesn't work...it works on 10 million other pc's but not theirs, so it must be evil Microsoft Wink It's never their computer's problem.

Actually anyone that had problems with earlier versions of IE 7 might want to try the newest one, was released March 20th.
KHO
mOrpheuS wrote:
elekis wrote:
and you call that a prob???
martindecorte wrote:
Or you could consider to use firefox as default browser... Rolling Eyes
Zuwiki wrote:
I can't believe anyone still uses (or ever used) IE and they think IE7 is going to be any less a waste of time.
AftershockVibe wrote:
Am I the only person that thinks this is hilarious? Microsoft's software not only breaks itself but other MS software at the same time. Truly brilliant programming. You seriously consider using IE6 after that atrocity??!


Indeed.

Only thing everybody just forgot to mention is the fact that IE7 is a beta software - a work in progress.
Please don't expect everything to be fine and dandy when you install, use or uninstall it.

so because they slapped a beta label on it they aren't responsible for its problems? Neutral
l think if that is the case, they should add a little line in the Windows EULA:

Warning, Microsoft Windows (insert current version) is still in the Beta stages, and will not be released from them, keep this in mind while using it.

Except that on the Eula, it would look more like

Warning, Microsoft Windows (insert current version) is still in the Beta stages, and will not be released from them, keep this in mind while using it.
Neutral
Quote:

Moreover, if you install two versions of the same piece of software, one on top of the other, and then uninstall the later one ... what do you expect to happen ?
Is it really so surprising that the uninstaller for IE7 removed a certain IE related registry entry ? Eh?
You know, Neutral if IE was smart enough to do as Firefox, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, and just about every other browser do and create a "profile" rather than making it so that if you kill it, you kill your OS, they might not be criticized as much Neutral.

Quote:

BTW, are you still using Firefox after this "attrocity" ?


Granted, FFX does have a memory leak, we can all admit to this, however, this is not on all machines, and it is getting less and less Neutral. l leave my laptop on with anywhere from 5-20 tabs open, and about 15 extensions, and l rarely exceed 740,000 Neutral this is still alot for a browser, but for how long it is on, and what it is running, that is pretty good. (By the way, l have an AMD 800GHz Turion 64 and 2gb DDR333 SODIMM RAM [yes l know, it can't handle this much, but l am waiting for the dual core to come out]) Neutral

Quote:

The only thing we don't find on that thread is, anybody suggesting the user to swith to IE, or making fun of his choice of browser, or making sarcastic comments about the "brilliance" of programming in Firefox.
Mind you, that's a memory-hole in Firefox not just a minor problem with its uninstaller.
I wonder what would have happened if someone reported a memory hole in IE ... Rolling Eyes
True, IE is criticised far more than any other browser will oever be (unless MS changes its name Neutral) but, MS earned it the title, and it will stick forever Neutral. lf MS didn't have a habit of trying to make too much crap, too fast, and just focused on their OS and a browser rather than making some gay anitvirus and antispyware that don't work for crap anyway, they would do alot better Neutral. You cannot deny that MS is making too much crap now! lf they would simply admit that google owns their search engine/e-mail provider and let it be, then their OS might not get pwned by Google's, but if they try and get their standards high enough to match the Google standards of months before, then they are forgeting about their OS while Google is smart and makes an OS while they are foolish and make a rip off e-mai system, messenger (updates by p2p lol, had to say that, so insecure Neutral), wanna-be google earth, wanna be Google maps, wanna-be mapquest, and like twenty other things that few people will use seriously Neutral.
KHO
Bones wrote:
I don't understand why so many people have a hate on for IE either. If you are a security newbie then FF is the way to go, but I have heard so many people slam IE because of it's security flaws, but yet have never had a single problem (even IE 7 Beta 2 works great on my pc)
Yet you never hear anyone speak badly towards FF even though it doesnt support ActiveX and doesnt even work very well with java, not to mention the fact the Ff is slower than death. I can open pages twice as fast in IE as in FF.
Of course IE collects more spyware than FF does. Currently 80% of internet users are surfing with IE...if you were designing spyware to attack a browser...which one would you choose?

Hold it right there, this is the one of the few reasons l actually use FFX, if it would have won the browser wars, l would have switched to IE, and if that really did suck as bad as the last version l used (5) then l would find something else, but because FFX currently collects less crap, and things such as toolbars don't install unless you want them to (l don't care about your defense by saying that there is usually a check box saying don't install your gay toolbar in my computer, FFX will never get them even if you don't check that thing), and one of the only other reasons is the things FFX can do, if you just use the FFX you get with the install kit, yes, IE7 B2 is probably better, tabbed browsing is all the general audience should see that FFX has over IE6, however, once you install a skin, and a few good extension (developer tools, tab mix plus, CustomizeGoogle, NoScript, Down Them All. Just to name a few), then FFX gets to be vastly superior. lf it would have won the browser wars, then spyware developers would easily use these very extensions against me, however, for the time being, they do not Neutral so, FFX is better FOR NOW.
[qoute] The only feature that FF has that I truly love is the find feature (ctrl-f) and how it searches on the fly and displays the text in red if no matches are found. I think every browser should have that. Other than that feature, FF has nothing to offer me. [/quote]

Once again, please go download it again, and install the extensions l named above, just give it a shot and tell me how you like it Neutral there really is no risk, install FasterFox aswell to optimize your connection, you will notice a difference if you configure it right Neutral
KHO
[quote="headoncollision"]
Zuwiki wrote:
martindecorte wrote:

I can't believe anyone still uses (or ever used) IE and they think IE7 is going to be any less a waste of time.


Ever since FF came out with it's cute easier to customize browser, everyone can't help but bag on IE. To me, it's exactly the same - only appears cleaner. And isn't as friendly when it comes to ftp uploading. At least for me.
Fire Fox was not suppossed to FTP upload, only download from them Neutral and even then it is a little chunky, they advise using FileZilla for all FTP needs Neutral. l personally advise using Total Commander for all File needs Neutral.
itarlo
I think the only solution is to install XP again
KHO
somehow, l doubt that is your only resort Neutral if nothing else, do a rollover, it will restore your settings as of when you installed windows if you haven't made any updates, that will only take a few minutes rather than a few hours (though, even this l do not recommend) think about it like this, if you do either of these, all your registry keys, and app datas are lost Neutral this means reinstalling nearly every program you own Neutral now then, does this sound fun? lf so, then by all means proceed with your current course of actions Neutral otherwise, just go ahead and do a little trick real fast. Neutral

1. Create a new user (if you don't have one already, if you already have a different user account, then that MAY work, though it MAY not, it all depends on how close l am on this estimate Neutral)
2. Open IE, if the problem persists, then you know it is something in the default users area of your reg (hopefully a reg problem);
if the problem is no longer there, then open up the otehr account, and dig through your HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG for microsoft/IE, anything that looks like it would fit Neutral
3. After you find something you think might be it, tell me Neutral and we can work on this some more Neutral
Bones
Actually, KOH, that is correct, since IE7 is in beta, MS is not responsible for it's problems. It's install at your own risk..umm that's standard for any beta software...beta means test version and many companies use them. In fact every game on the market (and most other software too) has had beta versions...it's just that most of them are closed to the public.
KHO
Yah, l know, thats why l made the comment about the EULA Neutral.
And it is KHO, not KOH Neutral it is an acronym, so the order actually matters Neutral.

But yes, l know they aren't responsible, l just think it is stupid how companies are starting to release crap and not even try and make ammends for dammage caused by it, it is a BETA, but that means that if you report a problem, they should patch it Neutral. At least that seems like the way it should work to me Neutral.

And then, they leave it in BETA for years to come Neutral *coughs and points at all google products* Neutral.
mOrpheuS
KHO wrote:
You know, if IE was smart enough to do as Firefox, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, and just about every other browser do and create a "profile" rather than making it so that if you kill it, you kill your OS, they might not be criticized as much .

Either you've got the concept of user profiles all wrong, or you're just biased (which, more than likely, is the case here).
I'm sure my words were pretty clear, I meant installing two versions of the same software, one over the other.

Install Firefox 1.07, then install 1.5 right on top of it, then uninstall 1.5 ... let us know if 1.07 still works ...
I'm very much interested in Firefox's "smart enough" implementation of this.
Repeat the above experiment with Opera and Netscape if you like.

BTW, nobody's OS was killed due to IE7. I can understand exaggeration, but that's just a false allegation.



KHO wrote:
l think if that is the case, they should add a little line in the Windows EULA:

Be honest, have you read the IE7 EULA ?

Here's the relevant parts from the IE7 EULA :
IE7 EULA wrote:
10. NO WARRANTY FOR SERVICES. Microsoft and its suppliers do not warrant or guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of any services or information provided, and that the provision of services or information will be uninterrupted or error-free.
11. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY. THE SOFTWARE IS LICENSED "AS-IS." SERVICES AND INFORMATION ARE PROVIDED "AS-IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE." YOU BEAR THE RISK OF USING THEM. MICROSOFT GIVES NO EXPRESS WARRANTIES, GUARANTEES OR CONDITIONS.




KHO wrote:
Except that on the Eula, it would look more like
Warning, Microsoft Windows (insert current version) is still in the Beta stages, and will not be released from them, keep this in mind while using it.

Again, an false allegation in the name of exaggeration. If you weren't so biased, you'll probably not have said this.
Microsoft puts such disclaimers in ALL CAPS instead of fine print (as you can see above). They have to let you know the risk beforehand to avoid getting served a million lawsuits.

BTW, what does Windows EULA have to do with IE7 ?


KHO wrote:
Granted, FFX does have a memory leak, we can all admit to this, however, this is not on all machines, and it is getting less and less. l leave my laptop on with anywhere from 5-20 tabs open, and about 15 extensions, and l rarely exceed 740,000 this is still alot for a browser, but for how long it is on, and what it is running, that is pretty good. (By the way, l have an AMD 800GHz Turion 64 and 2gb DDR333 SODIMM RAM [yes l know, it can't handle this much, but l am waiting for the dual core to come out])

I couldn't agree more ... a memory leak in the release version of Firefox is no big deal, although it affects many users.
But a bug in the beta version of IE7's uninstaller is definitely an OS killer, even though only one person has been affected by this.

But that doesn't sound very logical, now does it ?

And please don't cite your own experience as a proof of Firefox's superiority. Don't assume that IE doesn't work as well on many more PC's than Firefox.
BTW, a browser eating 740MB for 5-20 tabs is either a memory leak, or just poor programming. I'm sure IE couldn't get away with such a problem, let alone be someone's favourite.

Call me a Microsoft supporter, but I'd rather use a browser with a lousy uninstaller, rather than one which leaks memory.



A few more comments that I'll only highlight, but would rather not reply to :
KHO wrote:
lf MS didn't have a habit of trying to make too much crap, too fast
KHO wrote:
some gay anitvirus and antispyware that don't work for crap anyway
KHO wrote:
MS is making too much crap now!
KHO wrote:
google owns their search engine/e-mail provider
KHO wrote:
try and get their standards high enough to match the Google standards of months before
KHO wrote:
Google is smart and makes an OS while they are foolish and make a rip off e-mai system



And the one that I liked the most :
Talking about "gay" IE
KHO wrote:
l don't care about your defense by saying that there is usually a check box saying don't install your gay toolbar in my computer
AND ...
Talking about beloved FireFox
KHO wrote:
you will notice a difference if you configure it right


p.s. - I've removed those numerous annoying " Neutral " smilies from the text quoted off your posts. Wink
Bones
Companies are starting to release betas, (crap as I believe you called them) because that's what the public wants..if you do not like beta software then I suggest you don't install it, but in general, a lot of people like to try out the betas before the final versions are released.

Also if you send in bug reports (at least to MS), they use a triage system to start fixing them. If it effects 10 thousand installs, you can bet they will try to fix it pretty quick..it it effects you only, then they arent going to be to worried about it, since if it only happens on one pc, then it must be something specific to that pc.

As far as MS making too much crap too quick..you might have something there..except again, it's what the public wants..especially the ones who have had to deal with that huge steaming pile of crap we call Norton. That's why MS developed One Care.
KHO
Quote:
KHO wrote:
Quote:

l think if that is the case, they should add a little line in the Windows EULA:


Be honest, have you read the IE7 EULA ?

Here's the relevant parts from the IE7 EULA :
Yes, l understand that that was a little off topic, so l am willing to drop it, but l was referring to the Windows EULA, not the IE7, lt was merely a comment against Windows, but l suppose l have no place to talk there, because it is a good OS, just people find exploits in it because of its popularity Neutral. So, l will drop that now.

Quote:
AND ...
Talking about beloved FireFox
KHO wrote:
Quote:

you will notice a difference if you configure it right
That was on the topic of the extension FasterFox, you will need to configure it based on what your network allows, and your prefrences, lt is very handy, but the most useful extension, and quite possibly the only reason l will stick with FFX after the IE7 release is the Developer tools.


Now, l will admit, because FFX isn't a very good browser at it's core, there really is no need for its popularity Neutral. lf IE were to be open source, then people could code some extensions and themes for it, and then, it would be far superior to anything that will ever be released, even if MS would just go ahead and rip off the developer tools (exactly as they are, more features are ok, but since they do so much, MS might restrict that) then l would switch to IE7 in a heartbeat.

And even you as a MS supporter must realize that their antivirus and antispyware programs are no good. When it comes to your computers security, you should go ahead and invest a few bucks to get the leading brand. l understand that they want to make a free everything to their users, but what l am trying to get across is that if they would work on security for the OS, they may not even need antivirus and antispyware (as bad at least).

PS:l cut down on the "Neutral" just for you Neutral.
KHO
Bones wrote:
Companies are starting to release betas, (crap as I believe you called them) because that's what the public wants..if you do not like beta software then I suggest you don't install it, but in general, a lot of people like to try out the betas before the final versions are released.


Yes, we do want BETAs, however, how long has G-Mail been a BETA? l was commenting on how LONG they stay BETAs, as though the companys are just trying to avoid any real responibility. l do use quite a bit of BETA software and other things, but when they never leave the BETA stages, it gets you to wondering if they have moved onto something else and forgotten about this program or whatever that you liked enough to use even in BETA stages.

Quote:
Also if you send in bug reports (at least to MS), they use a triage system to start fixing them. If it effects 10 thousand installs, you can bet they will try to fix it pretty quick..it it effects you only, then they arent going to be to worried about it, since if it only happens on one pc, then it must be something specific to that pc.

As far as MS making too much crap too quick..you might have something there..except again, it's what the public wants..especially the ones who have had to deal with that huge steaming pile of crap we call Norton. That's why MS developed One Care.
Ok, l understand that Norton is as you say a "huge steaming pile of crap", thats why there are things like BitDefender, l have yet to experience a problem with my BitDefender.

And, when MS makes the product, that is one thing, when they incorporate unwanted software that lags down the OS, that is a complete other. What do you think will happen when they finish these BETAs? Just as they put Windows Firewall into XP Pro, they will put those into one of the Vista versions if it is out in time Neutral. How many users actually use that firewall?
Bones
I don't think gmail is ever going to come out of beta Sad
Microsoft antispyware (now Windows Defender) has been in beta for over a year now...agreed, this is pretty excessive.

Maybe a better approach that MS could use is to make these extra features downloadable from MS updates but not installed in the core OS (like the XP firewall, and Windows Defender which is a part of Vista)

I'm not sure about the whole open source thing though..wouldnt that make it all that much easier for people to find exploits in the software?
KHO
well, you would have to be carefulk about what you download and install, that much is true, and, if they simply put a little protection in it by denying all extensions (just block the filename extension) unless a user would mouse down on the install button. But, as long as MS would filter them out before allowing them to be submitted onto their site, then they would be fine. l really do think that if they would do that, then there wouldn't be a single reason not to switch over.
mOrpheuS
KHO wrote:
That was on the topic of the extension FasterFox, you will need to configure it based on what your network allows, and your prefrences, lt is very handy, but the most useful extension, and quite possibly the only reason l will stick with FFX after the IE7 release is the Developer tools.

The point I was trying to make was regarding proper configuration.
Even IE can be secure, and you just may notice lesser of those toolbar installation prompts.
No wonder, a lot of malware can easily infect an insecure install of IE.
Whereas, it's pretty much impenetrable when propoerly configured, for example in the server versions of Windows.


KHO wrote:
Now, l will admit, because FFX isn't a very good browser at it's core, there really is no need for its popularity Neutral. lf IE were to be open source, then people could code some extensions and themes for it, and then, it would be far superior to anything that will ever be released, even if MS would just go ahead and rip off the developer tools (exactly as they are, more features are ok, but since they do so much, MS might restrict that) then l would switch to IE7 in a heartbeat.

That unfortunately is true.
The route Microsoft took with IE, to provide customizability / expandability, was ActiveX.
That, coincidentally, opens up a world of opportunity for malware makers at the same time.
I wouldn't want to compare their engines (cores) though, they both excel at different things.

While the primary reason they created Firefox was to make available a good browser without the bloats of Mozilla.
The thing that disappoints me the most about Firefox is that it's just not faster or lighter as was the philosophy behind it !
Apparently, with the newer version of Gecko, the bloated Mozilla is actually faster than Firefox.

The number of times I've used Firefox myself, I couldn't help but notice this bloat.


KHO wrote:
And even you as a MS supporter must realize that their antivirus and antispyware programs are no good. When it comes to your computers security, you should go ahead and invest a few bucks to get the leading brand. l understand that they want to make a free everything to their users, but what l am trying to get across is that if they would work on security for the OS, they may not even need antivirus and antispyware (as bad at least).

I use Opera mostly. I have no Antivirus or Antispyware installed on my XP machine.
I trust my own knowledge/caution and a secured OS to be the best deterrent against virus/malware. An excellent firewall at my ISP does the rest.

And Microsoft doesn't want to make things free for their users. Wink


KHO wrote:
PS:l cut down on the "Neutral" just for you Neutral.

Gee ... thanks !
That's just two of them in that one sentence. Wink
Related topics
*OFFICIAL* Which Browser do you use?
(official) IE 7 Topic
Internet Explorer 7 sera mejor ?
[soft]Firefox más inseguro que IE
Internet Explorer 7 is coming!!!
problem with internet explorer
I don`t succeed to connect to FTP
[Solved] [Java] KeyListener Not Working In Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview
Internet Explorer 7 (beta 2 preview)
My Internet Explorer keeps crushing.
Support Internet Explorer
So you're STILL using Internet Explorer?? Patch it!
[CSS] Height property in Internet Explorer
CSS: Internet Explorer and pseudo-class
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.