FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Do people sue too much?






Do people sue too much?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 15 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

Blaster
Do americans sue way to much? We sue for about everything nowadays. My coffee was hot and it spilt.. who was to think it was hot? I am sueing. Now come on really. Do you really need to sue for somthing like that. It all has to do with us being to greddy any more.

So who is with me. Do americans sue way to much?

P.S. I am from America
Scorpio
Well, it does seem as a commonplace occurence that americans go around suing evry company in sight.

And the fact is that the American judiciary seems to respect most of the suits and give a decision in the complainants favor.

Also, I think americans need some publicity(as if they haven't got any already) so this would give a great publicity to a guy in some obscure part of the united states with the press flocking down to their place.

But atleast it puts the companies on their guard, ensuring quality production.
So that can be an advantage.

Frankly, I dont care as long as they do it in their own country Surprised
Nocturnis
Most definitely a yes. Why else would they have warnings and caution labels on everything? People by nature are greedy; it's a fact. *shrugs* And wioth America and our whole capitalist business where you can make money doing just about anything, well, suing is a viable solution to any financial problem. There are hundreds of dumb lawsuits out there because people want money. x.x I hate it.

My favourite:

Toilet Plunger
WARNING: Do not use near powerlines.
Blaster
That is totaly what i mean. Hmm coffee may be hot. Lets find out. Oh it was. I should sue. I do agree some things are worth sueing over but really does it need to be as much as we do it?

It doesnt' say anywhere that if you get hit by a car you will be hurting. Let me try it. Ow i am going to sue. American seems like it doesn't have common sesce sometimes.
Nocturnis
Most Americans don't use common sense ... aka their brains ... because we've got computers and machines and crap to do everything! Why think? The calculator can do it. Unfortunately, it can't tell us that the coffee is hot. *shrugs* That's just our lifestyle. Haha, thus is the purpose of that one bill... I forget it's name... that says you have to have an element of common sense used before you sue. I forget what it's called. I did a newspaper article on it for the school paper; a beautiful 2 column rant about America's average IQ: 98.
hobbitaurus
Nowadays people relinquish their personal responsibilities and expect the rest of the world to spoonfeed them.

Where I live, bartenders have been sued or charged with manslaughter as a result of people getting drunk and dying/jumping in front of buses/etc

It's ridiculous, but its the world we live in.

The best you can do is be a decent person and raise your kids to be decent too.

P.S. I live in Australia Smile
Blaster
The last line is true.

You are right somewhere where I live someone sued someone after they robbed there house and then fell on the driveway out side. isn't that messed up?

There are court cases like this everyday. A lot of people don't use common sense anymore. Hmm my friend is right up there but look a bird. Boom i shot the bird...and my friend (Dick Cheny)
jabapyth
Heck YES!!!!

on a peanut jar:
WARNING!! May contain Peanuts.

Sure, its about alergies, but still!!
Rolling Eyes
mOrpheuS
Blaster wrote:
My coffee was hot and it spilt.

That was Stella Liebeck.
Infact she got pretty bad burns from the spilt coffee.

However, it was her who bought the coffee, it was her who held the coffee cups between her knees, it was her who spilled it.

The jury decided she was at 20% fault.
McDonald's, on the other hand, was held 80% responsible ... for their coffee was hot. Rolling Eyes

Can this happen in a place other than America ?

In America, when someone puts a warning - "contains peanuts" , on a pack of peanuts ... they're not being funny.

By the way, you can find a few more such true lawsuits here - http://www.stellaawards.com/caselog.html
djcaution
No kidding how the heck does the court work to decide these things anyway?? Obviously not with common sense that's for sure. I once heard that a robber while robbing someone's house slipped and fell on their slippery front steps or something and sued them for not cleaning the steps and won. Dont know how true it is though but sadly I can almost see that happening Confused
LMSdesign
Every thing is always some one elses fault. Not mine, it is never my fault. I have no brain, so there fore I can not think, there fore I can not make decisions, therefore..... bla, bla, bla

I was thinking of suing Bill Gates for my lousy spelling, it is his fuault for creating spell checker! I could probebly win, there was no warning label on the program that said " Warning: the use of spell cheiker in Word may cuaes the user to forget how to spell, due to the fact that we are auto correcting all the missplelled words for you, relieveing you of using your brain."

When submitting a document for college, the person noticed a mis spelled word and instead of asking me " do you have trouble spelling?" they asked " do you have spell check?"

I should sue. ( just kidding, well maybe not)
Lsia
neotask
I'm from the UK, and I have a serious nut allergy. But 'may contain nuts' on nut packets? I dont think anyones that stupid. Sueing is becoming popular in the UK as well - a man sued the owner of the house he was robbing. Why? As the robber made his getaway (on the owners motorbike Smile ) the owners dog chased him. Now he says he has a phobia of dogs. Yeah, right.

By the way, in the UK they have 'caution hot' labels on McDonalds coffee. I dont know if they have it in USA ...
xkarenflowerx
i think too many people sue, yes. like, how someone tried to sue an elephant?

it is ridiculous Smile
Blaster
LMSdesign wrote:
Every thing is always some one elses fault. Not mine, it is never my fault. I have no brain, so there fore I can not think, there fore I can not make decisions, therefore..... bla, bla, bla

I was thinking of suing Bill Gates for my lousy spelling, it is his fuault for creating spell checker! I could probebly win, there was no warning label on the program that said " Warning: the use of spell cheiker in Word may cuaes the user to forget how to spell, due to the fact that we are auto correcting all the missplelled words for you, relieveing you of using your brain."

When submitting a document for college, the person noticed a mis spelled word and instead of asking me " do you have trouble spelling?" they asked " do you have spell check?"

I should sue. ( just kidding, well maybe not)
Lsia

Not a bad idea. Its pretty sad that you didn't spell your name right. Razz But You can sue for everything nowadays.

Yes we do have caution hot lables on McDonadles coffe due to the one lawsuit. It is getting way out of hand.

Yea she did get some bad burns. I belive some where third degree. But it was her fault. Some people i swear live on sueing people.
90jeremy
Oh yea, i think americans do sue for do much now. They caplain and stuff and give up and so them, it is so stupid. It seems like now you can sue someone for just about anything. It is pointless sueing and the person only ends up for a small fine or something. But americans sue way to much, that is for sure.
David_Pardy
Hearing the ridiculous things people sue for and for the amounts they win (or demand) makes me want to hunt them down and chop their legs off.

I despise greed.
izcool
It's just like that lady who allegidly put the finger in the cup of chili when she went to Wendy's, and sued over that. The finger was not processed like it was in a deep fryer for a long time, and Wendy's checked every employee to see if there was a finger missing from one of their workers. Remember that Wendy's was giving away free ice creams the week after that happened ? Serious stuff, as they were losing a LOT of money.

I remember when I was in a resturant (not Wendy's, a sitdown resturant), the gentleman at the next table over said "There's a finger in this soup", joking to the waitress when she came over to see if they needed anything.

She got sentenced to around 12 years in prison I believe over sueing Wendy's for such of a claim.

I think America is turning very sue-happy lately, you can sue over anything.

If you haven't paid any attention to all of the coffee cups that you get at Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, or McDonald's, they all say "Caution - Contents may be hot" somewhere on them. That's only there to allegidly protect themselves from being sued, as it's actually your fault. It's just like trying to sue your wife or husband who made you a cup of coffee at the house, and you spilled it on yourself.

That's also why you see a lot of those stupid instructions on everything, like that you shouldn't touch a lighbulb in a lamp when on, etc.

- Mike.
Blaster
We are losing our common sense. Its like someone said that on a pack of penuts it has "object contains penuts" well no shit penuts contain... peanuts. Or for penut butter. Hmm i didn't know penut butter had penuts in them. It has PENUT right in the name.

We are going sue crazy. I am going to sue my parents becuase they didn't give me steack. I WOULD PROBLEY WIN! That is how crazy it is. Or going to sue my neighbor because he cuts my grass for me.

America has to learn when to stop.

The worst part is that there are people (lawyers) that make money from this.
Vrythramax
Americans really have gone way overboard in not only the number of lawsuits filed every year, but the insane types of lawsuits filed. There was one that comes to mind that was quite unbelievable...this happened in a resturaunt in California (I think) a few years ago, the owner of this resturaunt saw one of his customers choking on something and rushed to help them by using the hiemlick (mispelled I know) manuever, it turned out the person was indeed choking, but in the process of saving the customers life, the owner accidently broke a rib on the patron. The person sued the owner for assault and the settlement ended up forcing the resturant owner in bankruptcy and he lost the business...all for saving this ingrates life!

The state ended up creating a new law called "The Good Samaritin (sp.??) Law" that protects people in this kind of circumstance when they are honestly trying to help...but not before the resturant owner lost his shirt.

How stupid can a person be for sueing somebody who just saved thier life? I guess it's true..."no good deed goes unpunished".
Blaster
I was trying to die there :p. You should have let me. There was a kid that got paralized from the neck down by a gunshot. He instead of being mad at the kids that did it ended up being friends with one of them. So this guy is paralized from the neck down and became friends with one of the people that did it. Now can't people learn from this guy?

So that just shows that people do sue for the wrong reasons. If a guy can get paralized from the wast down by someone and become friends with him but someone can't let someone save there life. That is messed up.
HoboPelican
Yeah, I think us Americans are a little sue-happy. As stated above, few want to accept personal responsibility, but is it just us really? Going back to the warnings on packages (an indicator of past lawsuits maybe), I've seen reports of warnings from other countries. The Peanuts warning was from the UK, I thought. And my favorite was this one:

Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals
on a Swedish chainsaw

Not trying to justify our problem, just curious if it's happening in other countries as well.
Blaster
I see your point there. I am going to change the title. But you are right that we are not the only ones. I also heard about the chain saw. Its like is it worth cutting your hand off and then sueing. People do some of this just to sue.
myleshi
Well, yes. We Americians are "sue happy" nowadays. It seems like everyone is just looking for a comapny to sue in order to hit the jackpot and retire.

On the back of my wife's hairdryer I found this warning label:
"Danger! Do Not Use This Product In Water".

Well, what idiot is going to dry his hair in the shower?

Just thinking about this stuff and writing this post makes me so mad, I wanna sue someone! Laughing

Chris Campbell
LinktheMaster
I don't think suing is a bad thing... it's just the fact that a lot of people sue for stupid reasons. Most of those reasons are infact their own fault.

The woman who spilt her coffee, the guy he broke his leg because he tripped over a kid's toy, the woman he sued a store because her child was out of control. It's stupid.

Face it... these days 75% of Americans are out for one thing, money. They'll do whatever they can to get it. There are people out there that do nothing but look for ways to sue a multi-billion dollar company to get money. Confused That has to be one of the most pathetic things I've seen.

However, there are times when suing can be good. Companies will sometimes try and screw over customers hoping that the customer doesn't know anything. Sometimes it'll work, but sometimes a customer will catch on and sue the company. Hopefully, that'll set the company straight... at least for a little while. Smile
HoboPelican
You are absolutely correct, being ABLE to sue someone is a very valid concept, IMHO. But it really has gotten out of hand. Similar, maybe, to labor unions. In certain situations they are a natural and needed function...but most of the time they just suck up employees cash for no purpose except self-continuation. I know, changing topics, sorry.

I would be curious to see how many lawyers there are in each country in relation to total pop.... just did a quick Goggle. Results below.
Quote:

For every 320 Americans there is a lawyer indeed, with 799,960 lawyers among a population of 255,600,000, America may have the highest proportion of lawyers per capita in the world. In England, there are 694 Englishmen per lawyer, in France 2,461 Frenchmen per lawyer and in Japan 8,195 Japanese per lawyer. Lest you think the Japanese are exceptionally poorly served, you may wish to reflect that there are 15,748 Koreans per lawyer, with a mere 2,813 lawyers for Korea's population of 44,300,000.

http://www.davidappleyard.com/japan/jp5.htm

So the population count so far.
US - 320 /lawyer
England - 694/lawyer
France - 2,461/lawyer
Japan - 8,195/lawyer
Korea - 15,748/lawyer

Anyone want to add to these numbers?

Question: What do you call 1000 lawyers chained to blocks of cement on the bottom of the ocean?[/quote]
hobbitaurus
1000 lawyers on the bottom of the ocean?

That's called a bloody good start Smile

As for this:
Quote:
Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals
on a Swedish chainsaw


I would like to meet the man whose acts inspired the company to put that on their chainsaw. Balls of steel and brains of mush.

Anywho, there was a lady here in Australia who tried to sue a cigarette company for several million because she had lung cancer or something like that. She lost.

But imagine if she won. That would set the worst precident in the history of legal cases ever.

Mind you, there are some pretty crappy ones out there already.

But the world is becoming a very greedy place indeed.

*edit... corrected some TERRIBLE grammatical errors... fatigue Sad
dragonflame
you guys forgot about this one

http://money.cnn.com/2003/01/22/news/companies/mcdonalds/index.htm

I think these lawsuits, or the fear of it, are the reason why my insurance is so high Sad
Blaster
Yea you are right about that. Who wouldnt think that fast food would make you gain fat. Or that you are paying a buck 50 for french fries. There are to many lawers in america. Its bad when you here someone say I want to call my lawer. Who really has a lawer all of the time? It is rediculas.
bdoneck
There are a lot of stupid americans but to use that as a generalization is very unfair, im sure there are many dumb people from other countries as well.

I do believe that people do sue for lots of stupid things. It's partly greed and partly the fact that they don't want to be blamed for the way their children turned out, they want to blame other things/people.
dz9c
Why dont you make a poll of this? Anyway I say kindof. It depends a lot on the person obviously but for the most part I will have to say no because my friend has done a lot of bad crap and they didnt sue him for what he did.
izcool
HoboPelican wrote:
Yeah, I think us Americans are a little sue-happy. As stated above, few want to accept personal responsibility, but is it just us really? Going back to the warnings on packages (an indicator of past lawsuits maybe), I've seen reports of warnings from other countries. The Peanuts warning was from the UK, I thought. And my favorite was this one:

Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals
on a Swedish chainsaw

Not trying to justify our problem, just curious if it's happening in other countries as well.


Now that there is completely off of the charts. Why would you want to stop it in that kind of way, what do you think is going to happen ? If you use a chainsaw to cut down trees and such, what do you think is going to happen to your hand or your genitals ? Exactly. And I think they provide instruction manuals for things like that for a reason, so you can use the thing correctly. It might be a good thing if that warning label is on there for if someone were to ever sue over that kind of a claim. If anyone seen The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, you're going to get a good idea on what's going to happen. How could you ever sue over that if you're more than likely going to die ? It just frustrates me that a lot of this country (I'm in the United States) makes stupid claims just to make money. I've heard of a lot of people who crash into oncoming traffic on purpose, then get a huge settlement out of that. I'm sure you're going to be disabled for the rest of your life, but that's just sad. It really is.

- Mike.
Blaster
Yea it is true Sad They dont' think of the lives they wreck when they do it. Americans are too greedy. We want money the easy way. We dont' want to have to work for anything if we don't have too. There should be a rule on what you can and can't sue on. It is just really messed up. Our whole world is messed up with this. Not just america.
joshdifabio
This is really only a problem in the US as far as i know. I certainly don't hear about any of those bizarre settlements in the UK at least.

Out of interest do Americans know that it's only really a problem in their own country, or are you led to believe that it is happening everywhere? Cause i'm pretty sure it isn't.

I'm not flaming the US btw...

Josh
Blaster
It does happen a lot in other counries. look at the swedish chain saw. Its in a lot of these countries. The us is mainly known for it. People are going to make it to where you will get sued if walk into somone's car. It is rediculas. There are some real problems with people out there. Some just dont' seem to ever want to work. Me I started working at 11. I think this is most of the problem. When kids are young they are spolied with allowences and things like this. I never got an allowence. So thd kids that did never knew what work was and when they made it to it they realized that it was hard so foudn that sueing is much easier.

So can spoiling your kid really contribute to sueing?
woodtommy
to be decent ,hehe
XeononyX
You better watch it If a lawyer comes aloon this post and sees all the negativity he may sue us all for slander and loss of wages .. Laughing
Blaster
XeononyX wrote:
You better watch it If a lawyer comes aloon this post and sees all the negativity he may sue us all for slander and loss of wages .. Laughing
I wouldn't be surprised one bit. I know that there has to be some lawyers out here. What do you guys thing?
mOrpheuS
Vrythramax wrote:
The person sued the owner for assault and the settlement ended up forcing the resturant owner in bankruptcy and he lost the business...all for saving this ingrates life!

If this doesn't raise serious questions about the American judicial system, I don't know what does.

I don't know why everybody is blaming a few greedy people,
I'm seeing a completely different thing at the center of it all - the jury.
Some people try to make living out of sueing, only because they know it's feasible !
If only the judges stopped giving out decisions favouring the plaintiffs in these ridiculous lawsuits.

In the above case, not only the jury penalize the restaurant owner for his good deed ... at the same time they discourage people from attempting to help someone.

The next time somebody sees another person choking, it's not the Heimlich manoeuvre that will come the first thing into their mind ... it's the poor restaurant owner.
stopcamerafraud
Alright, i work in a restaurant. I now have to keep my coffee behind the counter in case some idito decides to spill it on themselves. The one that made me the most angry was the fat people who wanted to sue mcdonalds.
Then i watched that movie supersize me. He argued that the people who worked there did not have their nutritional info available in all stores. Here is a fact in my eyes. If you need a chart to read that deep fried potatoes covered in salt and greasy dead cow is not really a highly nutritious meal, this is where charles darwin makes sense. Sorry. its true Very Happy
Blaster
Oh I know it is true. That is the problem with things now. Its like the people Bill Engval makes fun of because they are stupid (here's your sign) The problem is all to do with people not having common sense. Also people do make a liveing off of sueing. Like I said it is because people are spolied from day one. It is all of how they are raised.
David_Pardy
Here's a little tidbit I recently learned while doing some overtime computer maintenance at a local Solicitors office (in Australia):

Barristers earn about 75% of what a Solicitor charges their clients.

So when it comes down to it, Barristers are probably being wankers by ruling the immoral verdict in a suing case so they can continue to fill their own pockets.

If Barristers were earning less money (ie. forcing them to get a second job) I can guarantee you there will be a lot FEWER successful suing cases out there.

Blame the Barristers!
mOrpheuS
David_Pardy wrote:
Barristers are probably being wankers by ruling the immoral verdict in a suing case so they can continue to fill their own pockets.

And all the while I thought they were just being sympathetic.
Who'd have ever suspected a lawyer of being corrupted.
Rolling Eyes

But more seriously, what about the judges ?
I'm pretty sure there are provisions in place that prevent the judges from getting any kind of benefit. Confused

After all, in the end, it's the judges who have the last word.
[FuN]goku
yes they do... i know someone who walked into a grocery stores door and sued them.. or he tried... the doors werent automatic either
thiamshui
Humans should resolve matters in a peaceful way, instead of going into fights, law suits and even wars.. what will they stand to gain? we are all of the same kind..

How will our descendants will rewrite the vertebrate genome, redesign the global ecosystem, and abolish suffering throughout the living world?
Mark999111
In america, yes they do
alkady
The answer is yes, C'mon people can sue people for getting injured on someone else property even if they where trespassing. How stupid is that. Suing someone just because they got injured on some place they werent allowed to be in.
xorcist
I'm from America and I think that people sue to much to. They sue when things aren't going there way and sue for the weirdest things. It makes no sense to sue because your coffee was to hot and spilled on you. Some things are just dumb to sue for and they still sue.
Blaster
I agree with that. People sue because things are too close to somones property. Now if you where hit and in a car accident it is different. Or if it has to do with divorce but for these stupid this it is just wrong.
caroline
Americans DEFINITELY sue way too much.
A kid in my high school has filed a lot of lawsuits since middle school. Just recently I think this kid tried to sue his teacher for "threatening" him because her email signature contained some sort of "harmful disclaimer" or something like that...
Michael B
I don't know anything about Americans sueing to much, but if they are anything like Australians then the answer is a very strong yes American sue to much.

When we got a new mower recently the shop owner said that they makers of the mowers no long cover any injury caused by they mower. Why? Because some idiots (sorry I can think of any other way to describe them) were buying mowers talking them home, starting them up sticking their fingers under the rim. Then ringing the lawyer, and then the doctor.

Then there are all sorts of wired stories in the paper. "Woman and daughter with big feet sue Men's shoe company" :roll:
Blaster
That is funny how you said laywer then the doctor. Because it is the truth. People have lawyers. Not big companys just regular old people.
The_Gamer294
absoloutley, why is everybody so greedy?
nilsmo
There's a joke about how God couldn't find any lawyers in heaven...
HoboPelican
nilsmo wrote:
There's a joke about how God couldn't find any lawyers in heaven...


Don't know that one... so here's a diferent one! Laughing

One day, God was touring Heaven and noticed that the Pearly Gates were terribly scratched and worn. So he asked St. Peter, "What's happened to the Gates?" St. Peter replied, "It's from all the sinners who struggle and grab on when they're told they're going to be cast into the bottomless pit." God said, "If this is the work of sinners, then it's Satan's responsibility. Tell him he has to pay for the repairs!" Back came the reply from Satan, "So sue me!" God read Satan's words, sighed and shrugged. St. Peter said, "What shall we do, Lord?" God replied, "There's nothing we can do. He's got all the lawyers."

Thus proving that it isn't just the US that sues too much, it happens EVERYWHERE!
Related topics
Google's Video Sharing
PS3 Offical photos!
food of Fear Factor
Tutorials
Sued for Spam
US Supreme Court rules against file swapping
Dell Computers Are Junk
Interview: Derek Liu, Gaia Online Anime Community
Using (yuk) MS Outlook for email? Tired of the spam?
I'm asking again...pleaazze reply me..
(official) IE 7 Topic
Why Was My Account Suspended???
your favorite song's lyrics
Do you like cooking?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.