FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

To rainbox or not to rainbox?

Bondings
After changing the forums theme a bit, we got a lot of complaints that the forums look dull or just too gray. We always take suggestions very serious and decided to do something about this.

To remedy this serious problem, a new term was born: 'rainboxing'.

What is rainboxing exactly? Well, it starts with defining a rainbox [ARRAY], the root of all coloured posts. This [ARRAY] needs to applied to all posts with help of the random factor [CHANCE], the second part of rainboxing. This [CHANCE] causes every character of the posts to be [COLOURED], it is the output or effect of rainboxing.

We also have a new logo, a piece of art, made by the great n0obie4life himself.

For those who still didn't understand it, we celebrate April Fool's Day on April 3. Wink

Disable or enable rainboxing.
Jamatu
O.o
Scorpio
Those rainboxing colors really took my eye out,

I thought that I was seeing colors.

Thank god there was no problem with my computer.

Good One Bondings Very Happy
Blaster
I don't like it. Its to hard to read. Can you please change it back? Sad
Bondings
Blaster wrote:
I don't like it. Its to hard to read. Can you please change it back? Sad

Click on the disable link. Wink
Reign
It all looks like crap... I think you will also lose new users that want to join frihost just cause of the logo... maybe that's not a bad thing...

It might be funny...
traxion
its realy cool what u are doing for a day like this

but it read terrible.

thankgod i can turn it off.

the new logo is realy cool, i like it

great idee
Srs2388
I went on here this morning and seen the font i was like o_O everyone uses rainbow effects now?
and found this and good joke for April fools =D
by the way rockin' awesome logo
Panrac
I must say I'm impressed.
I hope it is a beginning of a whole new frihost forums style, and maybe even a new era of webdesign in general.
loserk
really disgusting...i miss old frihost...
n0obie4life
loserk wrote:

You can disable it Wink (link at the first post. or in my sig).
rightclickscott
I love it! It's perfect! Now get it off of here.
abone
Some letters are very hard to read because of their colours,so I have disabled it.
Helios
Happy April 3rd Razz
7gts-scout
OMG~~!! I'm BEING FOOLED... Razz Embarassed I tought all this was true and frihost has turned into fool host...... xd xd

And yea... the forum is kinna dull/simple a little.... could you change it to attractive type? Confused Very Happy
soulman
Oh, my god, I have to highlight the content to read it.... I dont really think this theme is necessery
selim06
This really bad i think..To read or write something you should take a Nagraviation...
Assiez
Ha ha, rainboxing is awesome. I was pretty amused when I saw the "new" logo.
Hobbit
I skipped through most of these posts, my eyes burn! And I thought we got hacked. Seriously my eyes are watery lol.
brilliantbeauty
[how intersting, uh, but no. MOst definately not. PLease, for the love of allt higns sinful and blasphemic, no.]

EDIT

ohhhh April fools on the 3. That make sense. I thought you cracked under the pressure or something. ^_^
sky
I cant even read posts above me without highlighting them.. It hurts my eyes , but anyway, it doesnt matter Shocked
asiddle423
I like the old style fri host never had any problems with it. Why not have a theme setting for frihost where the users can select what they can choose the theme to look like.

www.bebo.com has recently changed the site to allow its users to change the themes.
sunnyhill vineyard winery
I think that the Fri Host team should change the color theme back because who likes gray colors we live in the 21st century and boy do we have a lot of colors. Gray is like a symbol of sadness like black at a funeral. I t ry to make pictures with vivid noticable colors.
Tumbleweed
*makes a mental note to ignore the 3rd of april*
Vrythramax
Shocked I thought I was having a flashback. I haven't seen so many colors since I quit drinking.
bogger
Ok, i agree, very funnny, but 1 slight problem, it's after 12, and it hasn't been changed back...... i actually cried when i saw n0obie's banner there, and I speak on behalf of the whole SMU when I say that it's got too many straight lines
ChrisCh
i like the changes made to the forum BEFORE the rainboxing was put on, but now i really don't like it! god bless the disable feature!

the only thing is that the weird rainbow logo is still present at the top of the forum! i think you should make 2 layouts available (now before you delete this post and tell me 2 read "what not to suggest", hear me out...) You should have one with the rainbow logo and all posts rainboxed, and the other with the previous frihost logo and no rainboxing. this would be easier than having to direct everyone to that exact page to disable it, and would also change the logo accordingly!

if that's just not possible, at least i can block the logo with the Adblock feature in Firefox until April 3 is over in the US:P
Garg
Nice april fool's !! My eyes are hurting... I can't read most of the colors, which is awesome ... or not

Anyway, it's true that the forum is missing a little color, i just wish it wasn't so technicolor !

See ya...
Tasukii
My eyes have been hacked!
But seriously the new logo sucks.
thiamshui
oh my goodness.. the Frihost logo is such a erm... GREAT artwork.. hmm... very unique and one of a kind! do paintings in Heaven look like this? i'm so jealous..

rainboxing on the text makes it soo.. clearer to see.. better than Microsoft ClearType..

A Happy April 3rd folks!
wumingsden
WOW, there are a lot of Members that say they dislike it, oh well. I have to say that I love it, and I rainbox most of my posts when I have time, just like the Great Princess, not a PR technique I promise Very Happy
To people that say it hurts there eyes, I say get glasses, (or disable it, it is up to you).
MrBaseball34
It ****** SUX!!!

Get rid of it...
gh0stface
Because April Fool's day was on a Saturday, today is "April Fools' Observed" day! Wink
meet in rio
Ouch. Razz
The Philosopher Princess
Very Happy I love it! Very Happy

Now I dont have to womanually rainbox my posts, because Frihost does it automatically. THANKS, FRIHOST!

And n0obie4lifes new Frihost logo is gorgeous!

Dancing Very Happy Applause Laughing
H3LL5P4WN
While a color scheme change would be nice... I think the rainbow lettering is a little harsh.

Unless you're a 12 year old girl.
loserk
n0obie4life wrote:
loserk wrote:

You can disable it Wink (link at the first post. or in my sig).

i did immediately...
R2.DETARD
i felt like such a dumbass. i sent a web message saying, "dude you got hacked" to a moderator , then i come across this and i feel so stupid!
thanks for the heads up, not.

love the logo, hate the text.
The Philosopher Princess
wumingsden wrote:
I have to say that I love it,

Thats because YOU are a fun person!

wumingsden wrote:
and I rainbox most of my posts when I have time, just like the Great Princess, not a PR technique I promise Very Happy

Very Happy YEA! Very Happy
WebSiteGuru
I have to say this rainbow color looks nice, eventhough it is hard on the eyes. I knew something was ups when I saw the FriHost logo. Very Happy
Blaster
Weird thing is this morning I was on it was all normal and then I hit submit on a post and see this. This was even before bondings made the post.
mariohs
omg, help me... i need a doctor... .my eyes are bleeding so much...
anyway I though someone had hacked in here, when I went to search, I found this topic.... very nice though.... but.. the colors suck... Very Happy
WebSiteGuru
mariohs wrote:
omg, help me... i need a doctor... .my eyes are bleeding so much...
anyway I though someone had hacked in here, when I went to search, I found this topic.... very nice though.... but.. the colors suck... Very Happy

OMG is right, when I first saw the rainbow colors I was not sure what was going on. But when I click on the first post to read, and noobie4life post was there. I though noobie was playing a joke for that post. But when I start looking at the rest of the post and found this post I then knew it is the whole forums and this is for April fool day. Laughing And that's FUNNY Wink Laughing
Donutey
well i personally like the new forum, it looks a lot... i guess cleaner and more professional than the old one. Although I'm not so sure about the logo. Rolling Eyes
zjosie729
I would like rainboxing, but if the yellow and lightblue can be removed, I (and probably everybodyelse) can read it better.
Enderwiggin
... please tell me this isnt staying.... *Begs*

Best choice you could make is having multiple themes, like with subSilver, having subBlack...
Demo:
http://www.phpbb.com/styles/forum/index.php?style=114

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=152754

You wouldnt even have to re-edit the overall header or post or anything, the only thing different in it is the css style & some of its images... you could use the subsilver everything else, and just use the subBlack css file & Images... Just an option available to you Razz And I gotta say, that banner is creepy Razz
bogger
I think from this, we can presume 3 things

No one reads the posts above theirs, or they do read it, and just re iterate for post count

People try to turn this into a serious discussion

Boggers have no sense of humour

Laughing Laughing
WebSiteGuru
zjosie729 wrote:
I would like rainboxing, but if the yellow and lightblue can be removed, I (and probably everybodyelse) can read it better.

NOPE! Not me, I am already wearing glasses. I dont need it to be any thicker that it's already is. Wink
WebSiteGuru
bogger wrote:
I think from this, we can presume 3 things

No one reads the posts above theirs, or they do read it, and just re iterate for post count

People try to turn this into a serious discussion

Boggers have no sense of humour

Laughing Laughing

I do agreed! Laughing Laughing
The Philosopher Princess
WebSiteGuru, I like your attitude! Just 1 thing.....

.....it's rainbox with an X. Very Happy (Its our own coined term.)
WebSiteGuru
The Philosopher Princess wrote:
WebSiteGuru, I like your attitude! Just 1 thing.....

.....it's rainbox with an X. Very Happy (Its our own coined term.)

Oops! How did I missed that????X. Wink
James007
I think it is a very cheap way to keep your points up (with all the extra code).
So I would say:
DISABLE

Wink
Blaster
I just want to know how it is done. Its kinda cool but like james said it is cheap.
TurkishGamer
I really don't like it. I couldn't read anything that anybody wrote. At least there was a disable option
Zyrobot
Dont like this but tnx for give disable link. I cant read all words Confused i must select text and read Smile April Fool's day i hear firsht time
gothicgeek
WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yes. WAHAHAHA. Ok then...*disable*
littlegiant
I have 20/20 vision and I couldn't read a dang thing. I had to press Ctrl + A on my keyboard to select all the text just so I could read the launch post of this thread. I also thought you guys got hacked when I first saw it. Disabled it immediately. What a relief! Oh yeah and is that logo part of the April Fool's joke too? With all due respect, I hope you didn't work too long on that, Noob. Think
SNES350
Haha I like it, I actually believed it until I saw the logo. Instant giveaway (or obvious way to make me feel stupid, either way). I didn't even try to read the colored text, I just selected it and read it white-on-blue.
squirrelmaster
Didn't even know that april 1st was observed on the 3rd!!!
-disable-

i pranked people on the 1st, and this is the first prank i got today,
i think not that many people knew it was observed today Rolling Eyes

i really didn't like the rainbox, diabled in the first 5 minutes,
but it's a 1st class prank!!!!!

that logo's a real piece of art *cough* !!
izcool
Upon checking my eMail today to see who replied to threads I'm subscribed to, I thought it was just the person that did it. To my surprise, I seen that everything was like that, and started laughing at the logo, as I thought it was taken by request. Sheer brilliance. Laughing

- Mike.
zanzou
There are no words for happy I am that you can turn it off. XD I clicked in and my eyes started to bleeeeed...

:D Love the logo, though!
thpn
Haha, good one bondings. I thought you guys were serious for a moment there, but then I finished reading it. The new banner is cool but needs some adjusting, mabye you could make it a bit more bright? Laughing
Dustin
ha ha ha ha ha ha thats like the best header ever, with the exception of the phenominal color choices and the amazing graphics i especially like how it switches from capital letters to lower case letters. Whoever made that header is awesome
Insanity
This is really killing my eyes... I have to select all text just to be able to read it. Thank God it's just a joke.
teh_razz
oh my goodness my eyes lol, this is funny tho nice mod Cool
Blaster
It mess with the codes. That is why i don't like it.
broken2144
Bondings wrote:

I thought n0obie is your sister Confused ?
xoxmeholly
I'm not sure if this is an april fools joke or not....? I think that the forums are DEFINETLY way too gray, but technicolor is just going to give us all a migraine. It's like you have a choice of no music of music blaring at such a sonic volume that everything is vibrating. Could you make some in between? Its one extreme or the other.
Blaster
broken2144 wrote:
Bondings wrote:

I thought n0obie is your sister Confused ?

Joke.....

@xoxmeholly i agree. If they wern't to have the bright colors it may be ok. It don't seem like an aprip fools joke.
Soulfire
Wow... that REALLY took a toll on my eyes. Glad I found this disable button. Well, I hope this is just a joke and not serious.. the logo would scare off any sensible person, (but it's nice work).

Well, if you want my opinion... change it back..
Blaster
Agreed with soulfire. Change thoe whole thing back. The image is a joke (sorry n0obie but this is not a fun little site it is real) it makes frihost look bad in my opion.
bjwok
i thought someone had hacked in under your id and made these changes as a prank! - the rainbox and the logo, frankly, look shite!
bladesage
Okay, I'm going to disable this on my PC. It's been such a headache ALL DAY! I couldn't figure out what was with the colors, it was driving me crazy! My eyes are absolutely KILLING me!! Shocked
LostOverThere
@Noobie4life: That banner owns! My only suggestion is that you put 2 eye's in the "o" of Frihost. Smile
nam_siddharth
thiamshui wrote:

rainboxing on the text makes it soo.. clearer to see.. better than Microsoft ClearType.

It is the best and funniest comment on rainboxing. Laughing Laughing Laughing
mschnell
How about sunboxing--something to give us random depressing colors for all of our letters.
gail1367
Hi bondings.

Sorry to say that no did not like the rainbow affect. I love coulor but with only one good eye and parcial second eye I could'nt read a thing.

The new log I like the fact that it is colourfull but i don't like sorry.

Gail
The Philosopher Princess
mschnell wrote:
How about sunboxing--something to give us random depressing colors for all of our letters.

Like this maybe?
Nocturnis
I don't mind the rainboxing, I suppose. I just disabled it because after about 5 minutes of reading it I got a headache.... the kind that don't go away easily. >.>;; Sunboxing would be cool though, it's so oxymoron-like. ^^
ladyrobina
I enjoyed rainbox, [it is certainly "pretty"] for all of two minutes. After that it became very hard to read because of the light coloured letters.
It is just fine as long as the disable function remains available. A+ for effort though.
exarkun
argg....
This is hell, isn't it? I can't see a thing. Luckily the font colour is the same when typing. If not, I would never post again!!!(just kiddin)
Michael B
Logo being art is kind of hard to accept. But then there is that story about the zoo keepers that gave a monkey some paint and something to paint on, and what was produced was put in the art gallery, until it was found out a MONKEY had painted it. I should have kept the story :( but forgot to cut it out the paper.

And I could not read the posts with out highlighting the text, good to be able to turn it off, I thought I was infected. Good way to discourage others form joining and getting free hosting. :D It and the logo just don't look professional.
kiseki89
Rainbox is great BUT i think my eyes will be gone if i continue to read like that.

Suggestion - Having different colors for every single word will kill our eyes... Why don't you change it to like different color per word or sentence?
dude_xyx
God I when d logged into forum today i got freaked out. First i wondered something wrong in ma computer. It Got me. it looks cool at first when u look at it but u realize how terrible it is when try to read. I'm SO glad to get away from it .lol Very Happy
mOrpheuS
Bondings wrote:
we got a lot of complaints that the forums look dull or just too gray.

Well, they asked for colours ...

I'm sure the people asking for more colours will start seeing the "dull" grey theme in a whole new light after this.
Careful what you wish, you just might get it Rolling Eyes

Very Happy I love it! Very Happy

Now I don’t have to womanually* rainbox my posts, because Frihost does it automatically. THANKS, FRIHOST!

And n0obie4life’s new Frihost logo is gorgeous!

Let me roll out the credits, lest we forget ...
(listed alphabetically) :

n0obie4life, for the "magical" logo
The Philosopher Princess, for pioneering multi-coloured posts

*p.s. - By the way, despite containing "man", the word "manually" is not politically incorrect. The prefix "man-" means "hand" in Latin. It needn't be feministized. Laughing
n0obie4life
Blaster wrote:
I just want to know how it is done. Its kinda cool but like james said it is cheap.

The source code is area51 secret.
Bondings
Anyway, I just removed the changes. Wink
suntzu3500
Interesting color scheme! Should be an option in the profile for those of us that are mentally insane and like it that way Razz
Commando_Sondre
Man, I thought that FriHost had been hacked. So I sent a PM to Bondings about it. I was owned the most!
OutlawSpirit
i enable rainbox... nothings changed?
mOrpheuS
OutlawSpirit wrote:

Just two posts above :
Bondings wrote:
Anyway, I just removed the changes.
WebSiteGuru
Bondings wrote:
Anyway, I just removed the changes. Wink

Bonding removed the changed. Wink
krazycapital
Why'd you make it so you can't turn it on? Sad I miss the insanity of it all.
n0obie4life
krazycapital wrote:
Why'd you make it so you can't turn it on? Sad I miss the insanity of it all.

OutlawSpirit wrote:

I'll ask Bondings to put the rainbox function back. But make it default to off, so people who want it can turn it on Wink
caroline
Bondings wrote:

I thought noobie4life was a girl!!!
Or were you lying? Smile
Or is this another April Fools joke thing?
Scott
Oh man, I didn't get to see the madness!
Duke^Coke
what is this? i wanna know what it is before i try
Duke^Coke
it does not work. why do you use a old version of phpBB?
Helios
Everything was an April 1st joke, now it's over.

Locked to prevent further spam.

Feel free to unlock it if you want.
The Philosopher Princess
(Here is my first time to unlock a thread {and then relock it, of course}.)
~~~~~~~~~~
I never got around to thanking you.

mOrpheuS wrote:
Let me roll out the credits, lest we forget ...
(listed alphabetically) :

n0obie4life, for the "magical" logo
The Philosopher Princess, for pioneering multi-coloured posts

Thank you! Its been fun!
~~~~~~~~~~
mOrpheuS wrote:
Now I dont have to womanually*[...]

*p.s. - By the way, despite containing "man", the word "manually" is not politically incorrect. The prefix "man-" means "hand" in Latin. It needn't be feministized. Laughing

I agree. I do it strictly to make fun. (You probably dont think of me as very PC anyway. Rolling Eyes Laughing) I use womanual and other incorrect non-politically-correct and non-politically-incorrect terms for the potential jolting effects (e.g., womanage, womanager, womanual, lovehim {pronounced LUV-im, an incorrect twist on lover, which sounds a bit like loveher}). (I have more.)

Most people use words incorrectly because they dont care. I womangle words because I do care. (About what Im not saying. Not talking)

Also, Ive noticed that it is usually bright people who are jolted and challenge me on this particular kind of weirdity. You shine! Very Happy