FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


latteral thinking puzzle





kv
1=5
2=25
3=125
4=625
5= ???

The answer is not 3125. Think laterally and answer.
speedlikecy
i know the answer....
hehehe

1=5
5=1

right....
Scorpio
Yes that must be the answer if 3125 is not.

*tries to think more, no avail* Laughing
Lennon
by law 1=5 is forbidden.

Completely false logic and mathematics... Not even a trick question, that's like giving the answer to the riddle as 2=5. Just doesn't make sense. Just people are so gullible they'll believe anything that sounds cool.

Completely Wrong.

how about this.

1=1
2=2
3=1 x 1.5

These are true

If you believe 1=5 then you're stupid and go back to school. That's not lateral thinking, it's just being stupid.
Yazz
Lennon wrote:
by law 1=5 is forbidden.

Completely false logic and mathematics... Not even a trick question, that's like giving the answer to the riddle as 2=5. Just doesn't make sense. Just people are so gullible they'll believe anything that sounds cool.

Completely Wrong.

how about this.

1=1
2=2
3=1 x 1.5

These are true

If you believe 1=5 then you're stupid and go back to school. That's not lateral thinking, it's just being stupid.


3 doesn't equal 1x1.5 (first of all)

Secondly, the numberings in this problem aren't numerical values. It's most likely a pattern associated in order from 1 to 5. They chose to use an equal sign instead of commas. I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.
If not, then they are actual values, and this is what you would call a creative brain-teaser. Not a mathematical one. It appears the answer really could be 5=1, but we'll have to wait and see.

You're the unwise one for jumping to conclusions with a narrow mind.
Scorpio
Lennon wrote:
by law 1=5 is forbidden.

Completely false logic and mathematics... Not even a trick question, that's like giving the answer to the riddle as 2=5. Just doesn't make sense. Just people are so gullible they'll believe anything that sounds cool.

Completely Wrong.

how about this.

1=1
2=2
3=1 x 1.5

These are true

If you believe 1=5 then you're stupid and go back to school. That's not lateral thinking, it's just being stupid.



If our answers were stupid, so are yours lennon.. No use bragging about your answer when you yourself get it wrong..

Atleast try explaining what you post instead of cricticizing sans reason.

If 3=1 x 1.5

then I am god Laughing
mOrpheuS
scorpio wrote:
If our answers were stupid, so are yours lennon.

That would be called a typographical error.
If you read it well, Lennon did not give an answer at all, it's a "logic" crime to come up with an answer to this puzzle.


Why can the answer not be 3125 ?

We can leave the basic mathematics and common sense right outside the front door when we "assume" 1=5, 2=25 and so on ...
And YET we use the interchangability of the two sides of a mathematical equation when we derive 5=1 from 1=5 !!
Shocked

Who is to guarantee that this rule still applies ?
What rules apply and what not, was never stated in the puzzle.


Yazz wrote:
the numberings in this problem aren't numerical values
...
this is what you would call a creative brain-teaser
...
You're the unwise one for jumping to conclusions with a narrow mind.

Perhaps you are right.

Let me think again with a "broad" mind ...

Heck, for all the (non)sense that this puzzle makes,
I can declare the answer to be 5=Watermelon and still be correct. Laughing
After all, a "creative" brain teaser deserves a "creative" answer !
(please see the blue text above for how I arrived at this "creative" answer)


I have seen some pretty illogical "puzzles" being sold under the brandname "lateral thinking", but this is certainly one of the worst.
I can understand why Lennon is so exasperated. Wink




scorpio wrote:
If 3=1 x 1.5

then I am god Laughing

You know what ?
You just made 5=1 in your earlier post. I wonder what that makes you, if not God ...
Wink
Yazz
Haha, m0rpheuS... dude, I totally agree with you.

Has to be watermelon. Nothing else makes the slightest bit of sense.

When I said the numbers in the problem aren't numerical values, I'm not exactly sure what I meant... But I know I'm right >.>

So yeah, the numbers in the problem are like, saying:

Cheese=Watermelon
God=Shoes
Trains=Laughing
Brick Wall=Pancakes
Watermelon=???

At least, that's what I think.
mOrpheuS
Yazz wrote:
Has to be watermelon. Nothing else makes the slightest bit of sense.
...
Cheese=Watermelon
God=Shoes
Trains=Laughing
Brick Wall=Pancakes
Watermelon=???

At least, that's what I think.

Laughing LMAO, congratulations !
you've cracked it !! Applause
kv
Well, the answer is 5=1.

Why it can't be 3125?

It can be!

But that is a very obvious answer and the logic used to derive this (power of 5) glares to your face.

Lateral thinking puzzles are all about that. It avoids the obvious answer and forces us to think in other possible directions which we normally tend to ignore because of the obvious solutions.

Lateral thinking is a skill which is highly used in investigations. There are hundreds of such puzzles and there may be multiple answers which are correct. The idea is to think in a different direction and come out with answer which makes sense. Watermelon could be a correct answer if you could come out with an explanation as to why it is correct.
Nyizsa
It seems that no one posted the correct answer yet.
5=5
...as we all learnt in school... Cool
mOrpheuS
Nyizsa wrote:
It seems that no one posted the correct answer yet.
5=5
...as we all learnt in school... Cool

Ahh ... I can't believe it.
Don't you get it ?

This is "lateral thinking".
If you have any logical unit in your brain - turn it off while attempting this.
If you learnt anything in school - try to forget it as well.

Remeber, answer is anything but obvious, anything but logical and nothing that makes sense.
So, other than "5=5" any answer is correct. Wink

Infact, 5 = watermelon is the only truly correct answer to this puzzle.
Remember, think "creative" and you'll come up with something close to correct as well ... just like Yazz and I already did ! Laughing
Nyizsa
Ahem.
So, we know so far that
Code:
((5!=5) & (5!=3125))

In that case, watermelon seems to be ok. Razz
As well as calcimine, electrocorticogram, heckle-mustard and vulture. Or anything but 5 or 3125. I get the joke, but don't understand why this thinking is lateral.
If we have only this: 5=? it can be anything, yes. But if we have the sequence above, it has to be 3125, lateral or not.
And it may have been luckier to use -> instead of =.
riv_
kv wrote:
Well, the answer is 5=1.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
I would like to take this opportunity to shamelessly ridicule anyone who gives a flying you-know-what about what your answer is!

You can call it lateral thinking if you want to. I have another word for it. *ahem*
You know, I can think of many things that 5 can be equal to. 1 isn't on the list.
Lateral "thinking" Exclamation
Brain Stormer
I think your over thinking the puzzle. I say I`ll race you for 10 dollars
We race I lose
I say give me 10 dollars you say why I won, I say I didn`t say I was going to win
I said I`ll race you
So the answer isn`t 3125
the answer is 5=3125
Psycho_X52
The conclusion Laughing
kv wrote:
The answer is not 3125.

kv wrote:
Why it can't be 3125? It can be!



Some other puzzles with answers http://www.resursadefun.ro/pov_noi-lateral-thinking.htm#more-1381
woodenbrick
I like lateral thinking puzzles, though I didn't think much of this one. I prefer the more story telling types of puzzle such as this:

A man and his son are involved in a car crash. The father dies on the scene and the son is rushed to hospital. On arrival the surgeon on duty says "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son!" How is this possible?

and this stumped me for days:

What is the next letter in this sequence?
W I T N L I T ...?
Agent ME
mOrpheuS wrote:
Remeber, answer is anything but obvious, anything but logical and nothing that makes sense.
So, other than "5=5" any answer is correct. Wink

You're using logic to derive that the answer isn't logical, so that can't be right Laughing
justnewbie
woodenbrick wrote:
I like lateral thinking puzzles, though I didn't think much of this one. I prefer the more story telling types of puzzle such as this:

A man and his son are involved in a car crash. The father dies on the scene and the son is rushed to hospital. On arrival the surgeon on duty says "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son!" How is this possible?

and this stumped me for days:

What is the next letter in this sequence?
W I T N L I T ...?


Your second question would be an S.
(W)hat (i)s (t)he (n)ext (l)etter (i)n (t)his (s)equence-
woodenbrick
justnewbie wrote:

Your second question would be an S.
(W)hat (i)s (t)he (n)ext (l)etter (i)n (t)his (s)equence-

Correct!
Anyone know the answer to my first question?
mOrpheuS
Agent ME wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:
Remeber, answer is anything but obvious, anything but logical and nothing that makes sense.
So, other than "5=5" any answer is correct. Wink

You're using logic to derive that the answer isn't logical, so that can't be right Laughing

Ahh ... I did admit I wasn't the best at it.


woodenbrick wrote:
A man and his son are involved in a car crash. The father dies on the scene and the son is rushed to hospital. On arrival the surgeon on duty says "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son!" How is this possible?

Obvious answer:
The surgeon is the boy's mother.

Lateral thinking answer :
The boy was adopted.

More lateral :
The surgeon is mistaken.

Even more lateral :
The Dead guy was mistaken. Wink


woodenbrick wrote:
What is the next letter in this sequence?
W I T N L I T ...?

"S" is correct.

But it goes like this :
(W)hat (i)s (t)he (n)ext (l)etter (i)n (t)his (s)tupid (s)equence
breebree
Brain Stormer wrote:
So the answer isn`t 3125
the answer is 5=3125


The equation 5=3125 is mathmatically nonsensical as both are composed of symbols with set values. Mathmatically speaking, the symbol for five (5) is not a number but is a symbol representing a value and unlike x it cannot have a different value other than five.
Brain Stormer
javascript:emoticon('Surprised')
SurprisedInteresting can 5=3125 can money exchange Canada to US be 5=5 or Mexico,Japan money
Are we to the read the question and see what is said or what they didn`t say
imagefree
kv wrote:

1=5
2=25
3=125
4=625
5= ???

The answer is not 3125. Think laterally and answer.


Well there is a long list of possible answers under these circumstances.

The answer may be,

You said 1=5, so 5 must be equal to one.
Other way of thinking is in the sequance the five becomes equal to 3125.

Another angle gives the answer 25 (1=5 , so 5*1 = 5*5 , so, 5=25)

similarly 2=25
and 3=125
so
5=25+125 = 150 . There are many more answers that you can derive from the question.

So, is the answer you were expecting provided?
imagefree
Lennon wrote:
by law 1=5 is forbidden.

Completely false logic and mathematics... Not even a trick question, that's like giving the answer to the riddle as 2=5. Just doesn't make sense. Just people are so gullible they'll believe anything that sounds cool.

Completely Wrong.

how about this.

1=1
2=2
3=1 x 1.5

These are true

If you believe 1=5 then you're stupid and go back to school. That's not lateral thinking, it's just being stupid.



First of all the question is not a matheatical Question. Its an intellegence question. So, try to keep mathematics skills away and try to solve it within the information provided in the question.
Related topics
The President's Puzzle
a nice story that can get you thinking... read to find out
Lateral thinking
Thinking of change
irony: Liberal Church May Lose Funds Over Sermon
Lateral Thinking Puzzles
Do you enjoy solving problems(puzzle)?
Puzzles, puzzle me always, how about you???
What Will Vista Mean to You?
Game making - anyone interested?
dlink networking puzzle
Mod Projects lots of info
How about a MAC forum
Solve this puzzle, get some FRIH$
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.