FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can you make a living off of artistic photography

Apolytes
A few famous photographers have done it.. Henri Cartier, Ansel...but what about the average amateur photographer like myself??
I recently left my degree program in electrical engineering to pursue a career in photography. In the fall I will be starting a rigorous technical photography program. All of the concetrations are useful, photojournalism, commercial, medical, etc. But wheres the art?? It gets lost in all of the technicalities. Can you really make a living from selling your artistic photography?
earthchild
heck yes!
from one artist to another: Believe in yourself and your creations!

Now what I would also recommend is to have others ways of bringing in income available if or until you feel really ready to fall back on photography, otherwise I'd think that you run the risk of selling out and not truly creating what you love but what you think others would like to see.

Good luck! P.S. a wonderful book for creatives of all types (helps you to believe in yourself and create success for yourself) The Artists Way by Julia Cameron