FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

British rock bands

Vlien
I've recently started moderating a link page on Start.be about British rock bands. It's not at all comprehensive yet, so I need your advice/reccomendations. At first I thought I had chosen the wrong name for the page (Britrock instead of Britpop) but then I decided to include bands that weren't to be classed under Britpop (which is an existing English word, it's in the Oxford Dictionary).
I'm sure there are many unknown groups that I'm not going to find without 'external' help. Here's the link so you can have a look at it first: Britrock.start.be. Please report errors too Wink
Bernard
I enjoy the error you did, britrock is a less boring idea than that dam obsessive britpop. Razz

The problem is what you want put there? If that's all british pop/rock bands from all time, well good luck! I feel this task a bit gigantic.

Why Clash is in 70's-80's list but not Pretenders?
rhworld
I love brit rock! it is so much better than American rock as it doesnt have a depressed tone to it!
snowboardalliance
aren't the strokes and the vines british?
and what about the killers?

Wow, I was looking at that list and thanks to my friend I listen to like 5 of those bands. (I live in the US by the way)
alex_ru
Greatest British Bands : the Beatles,Pink Floyd and Judas Priest Laughing
Vlien
Haha Cool great! Ok a little more info to it then. Well, the Clash is classed under 70s-80s since they're not an active band anymore, but the Pretenders are, aren't they? Anyway, if they're still active, I put their name under a letter. And yes, I actually want to cover as many bands as I can, known and unknown, from the moment when rock started on.
The Strokes, fweee, they were on my page first Embarassed then I did some more research and discovered they are actually a band from New York :p

I'm gonna look up The Killers and The Vines and all bands you were mentioning. Thanks a lot!

OK: (edited) The Killers are from Las Vegas, The Vines are an Australian band and Judas Priest, well, they ARE definitely British, but they're hard rock. I'm still doubting whether I should add them. I think I should, since I also included some punk bands...
Bernard
Ok got it for Clash vs Pretenders, not clear that Pretenders still alive but oki!

I think you're just crazy to want do such a task but ok I'll add few names, I'll let you search url and check if they genre fit your page.

As far I know Killers are USA but The Killers not sure, and The Vines Australian. The Kills are Brit, interesting group even if their albums has something too much repetitive for me, but cleary they have some originality and creativity.

Not sure The Darkness can be put in Britrock, it's more Hard Rock. But ok I also see Judas Priest. At this point add Iron Maiden and Manowar Smile. About Manowar, listen "Hail To England" album it's a masterpiece and the put the rest in trash!).. Ha yes at this point add Led Zeppelin too.

* Some of my prefered Brit groups not too old (but some already rip) that I haven't saw in your page:
- McLusky (no suprise they rip after they did their perfect album),
- Patrick Wolf (dont like his last album but I like a lot his first),
- Go! Team!
- Giddy Motors (dam when they'll release their full album?)
- The Kills (ok all their albums bore me a bit but they also can create original music that's quite rare)
- Aereogramme (still expect from them their mater album but "Sleep and Release" worth much much more than a non careful listening could let think)

* Few groups that did an amazing first album during end of 70's beginning of 80's, all british as far I know:
- Dexys Midnight Runners,
- Orange Juice (definitely stick only to their first album)
- Fun Boy Three (they never surpass their first but the second is good),
- Psychedelic furs (even if they got a name later they never succeed to do an album like their first),
- Killing Joke (I could be a little hard by sticking only to their first album but none of their later albums hint my mind as their first did, I have some hope in their last fresh album recently released that I haven't listen yet).
- The Ruts (the first group before the singer died, the best voice I ever heard, better than Clash first album but who know if they could make a thing like London Calling if they haven't rip, if you listen just one song try "Babylon's Burning")
- Flying Lizards (ha well I am talking of their first cleany released album!)
- Joy Division (lol ok not only their first album, in fact I prefer the second).
- Waterboys (their first album was a shock but their third "This is the sea" is their masterpiece).

* A few more Brit bands that can be stored in Britrock, well perhaps:
- XTC,
- David Bowie
- Peter Hammil (try more albums from the 70's and begining of 80's)
- Van Der Graaf Generator (Brit through PH)
- Peter Gabriel ("3" and "So")
- Jeff Beck (try uncommun "There & Back")
- The Police (at least the first 3 albums)
- Fred Frith (must listen his great "Speechless" album, among the ton of stuff he did, the few other I listen could be interesting but suffer of uneven quality)
- Venus Handcuffs (quite interesting first album recently reedited by an american label)
- Het (quite interesting first album recently reedited by an american label)
- Pale Fountains (I prefer their second more rock album, their first is the best reputed I feel it a little plastical, too clean for me perhaps).
- Undertones,
- Bauhaus (listen "Burning From The Inside" their best also because no drop down quality or hard to listen experiences, or try "Swing The Heartache: The BBC Sessions" if you prefer listening experiences)
- The Jam ("Sound Affect" is their masterpiece)
- U2 (How did you succeed forget them, "War" is their masterpiece if you ask me)
- That Petrol Emotion (I would advise listen "End Of the Millenium Psychosis Blues" but that's not the common choice, perhaps it's more "Chemicrazy")
- Happy Mondays
- Black Grape (I even prefer their album "It's great when..." than Happy Mondays albums because it is a bit more rock)
- The Bolshoi ("Friends" is an unknown gem to listen)
- Beautiful South (just listen their great first album and stop here)
- The Housemartins
- Simple Mind (hate them but well)
- Depeche Mode (hate but one of their 90's album)
- Woodentops (you must listen their strange "Giant" album but their live "Hypnobeat" has real interest too)
- Sinead O'Connor (for me her masterpiece his her first album even if not perfect)
- The Frames (their first album had some interest even if not a true great one, but after they did nothing interesting)
- King Prawn (Their first mini album "First Offence" is a little miracle, it gets reedited with new tracks and different track list, this doesn't worth original edition. Later albums are well not bad not great)
- Trashmonk (only one album as far I know but a masterpiece, "Mona Lisa Overdrive")
- Bardo Pond,
- Jesus And Mary Chain (try "Barbed Wire Kisses" which is a very special compilation of first singles and other stuff, even if Psychocandy is in theory their masterpiece)
- My Bloody Valentine
- Fine Young Cannibals (only one album "The raw and the cooked" but a true masterpiece, sure that money was the target but creativity was the result)
- Yargo ("Bodybeat" their first album is an absolute jewel, second album quite good but can't suffer the comparison)
- Hood

Ha well enough! Very Happy ... and I wish you good patience!
Scott
I like a lot of those bands, Brit rock is great.
Helios
Two words:

IRON MAIDEN Smile

Nice site, but the ads are the ugly spot.
dfreeman616
How can U2 not be in that list?

Sometimes the obvious escapes you (me too).

Keane is another current british band. no guitars, but suprisingly 'rock'.
Embrace is also a current band, got a free single on iTunes once. not bad.
roumainmichel
The Kills !! they do really rock ... but I wonder if we can consider it a brit band since one of the two members (don't remember if it is VV or Hotel) is from New York...

Anyway, they do great music!
dz9c
IRON MAIDEN AND JUDAS PRIEST!! Why didnt anyone mention Judas Priest???? There like the best I love them.
Vlien
dfreeman616 wrote:
How can U2 not be in that list?

Sometimes the obvious escapes you (me too).

Keane is another current british band. no guitars, but suprisingly 'rock'.
Embrace is also a current band, got a free single on iTunes once. not bad.

U2 IS AN IRISH BAND!!! Razz
I did NOT forget them, I thought about adding them, but then, Ireland is not equal to Britain Wink I don't think the Irish like to be confused with the British. Unless of course, U2 originates from Northern Ireland. I'll look that up. As far as I know Sinéad Ó Connor and The Frames are Irish as well. But thanks for that giant list!

Nonono, I looked it up: U2 are from Dublin, which is clearly not Northern Ireland. They are from the British Isles though, so should that be reason enough to add them? Should I select them for geographical reasons or for their genre? *confused*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! I've just taken a look at my page again and like half of the links that I've added lately are gone! That was sooo much work Sad now you know why there are so little of them. Grrrr...
Caxius
Greatest British Bands at the moment: muse, the killers, the strokes...
(the killers and the strokes are british???? Think )
Ofinet
Caxius wrote:

The Strokes are from New York...you shocking person...The Killers are from Utah...get the facts straight.
Caxius
Ofinet wrote:
Caxius wrote:

The Strokes are from New York...you shocking person...The Killers are from Utah...get the facts straight.

but they are the music style of british bands
Twikki
Arctic Monkeys Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy