FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Freezing Windows 98 Second Edition

AhmedSalmanJamal
Hi there ... I have one of the vintage Windows 98 Second Edition Operating Systems installed on one of my computers. It now seems to have the nick to freeze every now and then without any visible applications running to freeze it... Is there any possible solutions to it? Any is there any possible reason to it? Smile
Ducksteina
First of all, you should get the latest updates, a virus scanner and a firewall. Windows plugged in to the internet without having some protection will lead you to many trojans and worms.
My advice to you is to format the computer and do a clean installation. It's maybe much work, but it will sure save you a lot of time.
AhmedSalmanJamal
Hmmm... I know that could be done ... however I was pondering about tweaking the assembly code for Windows or something ... got any ideas??
Xeniczone
it may not be windows at all.

Try if you have more then one memory stick removing one at a time and switching in and out different stick. If you have a bad memory stick you computer will pause every time it trys to access the bad part of that memory stick.

CPU overheats. If it is a pentium 3 (you never told what cpu you had) then when p3's overheat they just pause.
AhmedSalmanJamal
Xeniczone wrote:
it may not be windows at all.

Try if you have more then one memory stick removing one at a time and switching in and out different stick. If you have a bad memory stick you computer will pause every time it trys to access the bad part of that memory stick.

CPU overheats. If it is a pentium 3 (you never told what cpu you had) then when p3's overheat they just pause.

Yup it is infact a P3... so you think it is the over heating... well say if I did change the stick and also added one or more cooling systems into the machine ... would you recon the problem will be solved? Confused
Xeniczone
To tell you the truth... I guessed p3 because I have the same issue. I tried new memory i put about 80 dollars worth of new cooling equipment into it 60 p4 ready gaming case 20 heat sink and fan. Even after all that it still wouldn't stop pausing. I tried windows xp and i think it still paused. Don't remeber. Even to this day I still haven't solved it. You could try some stuff but I recommend you set yourself a money limit like 10 bucks, because if you start spending 200 on it then you might as well get a new computer.

Try building your own computer if you know what your doing.
You can get some ok equipment for a good price.
CPUs that are ok but better then the pentium 3 would be.
AMD Septron 64
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (recommended)
Intel Celeron (Hell no)
Intel Pentium 4 2.8ghz (recommended)

amd athlon 64 3000+ vs Intel pentium 4 2.8ghz would be about the same. Intel out proforms in multitasking when amds have virus protection and 3d now installed in the cheap and do better at 3d games and stuff compared to the intels. You will save 10 bucks buying the intel cpu but depends what you want to do.

Really I think the pentium 3 may just be dead. It doesn't need more cooling the cpu is just past it's exporation date. You could get a new p3 but you risk getting another bad one.
AhmedSalmanJamal
Xeniczone wrote:
To tell you the truth... I guessed p3 because I have the same issue. I tried new memory i put about 80 dollars worth of new cooling equipment into it 60 p4 ready gaming case 20 heat sink and fan. Even after all that it still wouldn't stop pausing. I tried windows xp and i think it still paused. Don't remeber. Even to this day I still haven't solved it. You could try some stuff but I recommend you set yourself a money limit like 10 bucks, because if you start spending 200 on it then you might as well get a new computer.

Try building your own computer if you know what your doing.
You can get some ok equipment for a good price.
CPUs that are ok but better then the pentium 3 would be.
AMD Septron 64
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (recommended)
Intel Celeron (Hell no)
Intel Pentium 4 2.8ghz (recommended)

amd athlon 64 3000+ vs Intel pentium 4 2.8ghz would be about the same. Intel out proforms in multitasking when amds have virus protection and 3d now installed in the cheap and do better at 3d games and stuff compared to the intels. You will save 10 bucks buying the intel cpu but depends what you want to do.

Really I think the pentium 3 may just be dead. It doesn't need more cooling the cpu is just past it's exporation date. You could get a new p3 but you risk getting another bad one.

Yup I have taken your advice and shall not spend money on the machine ... however I will definitely either go for the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ or the Intel P4 3.6GHz with Hyper Threading Very Happy One of them should solve my purpose Very Happy Thanks a lot dude !
Xeniczone
Hey woh.

The 64bit pentium 4s (EM64T i think there called.) They have heat things you have to work a little to get them to work without heat issues.

I built a pentium 4 em64t 3.0ghz and it was running at 170 degrees when i first put it together after messing with the heat sink and accually willing to break the motherboard trying to get the heat sink on correctly I finally got it on without breaking the motherboard. It ran at 143 degrees after that I don't know what I did put the intel heat sink was less then a mm off the cpu and wasn't making contact right.

You will save money getting the amd 4000+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103529

Intel pentium 4 EM64T 3.6ghz:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116006
AhmedSalmanJamal
Xeniczone wrote:
Hey woh.

The 64bit pentium 4s (EM64T i think there called.) They have heat things you have to work a little to get them to work without heat issues.

I built a pentium 4 em64t 3.0ghz and it was running at 170 degrees when i first put it together after messing with the heat sink and accually willing to break the motherboard trying to get the heat sink on correctly I finally got it on without breaking the motherboard. It ran at 143 degrees after that I don't know what I did put the intel heat sink was less then a mm off the cpu and wasn't making contact right.

You will save money getting the amd 4000+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103529

Intel pentium 4 EM64T 3.6ghz:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116006

Yup the AMD Athlon 64 4000+ looks pretty good...think I will go for that ... it will add one more collection in my network Very Happy and a pretty good one too Very Happy
Xeniczone
Would you like anyother help with building or buying or are you good?
Arnie
Now wait a minute. Of course it's good to buy new hardware, but don't write off your P3 as 'overheating worthless scrap'. You have not confirmed that overheating is in fact the problem. That's only a made assumption, which hasn't been tested and proven yet.

This is especially important because Windows 98SE, when not maintained correctly, easily tends to hang because of a software crash! So you might as well give it a format and reinstall. Or install QNX or Linux and see if that freezes.
Xeniczone
It sounded like he had the same problem as me i have a:

Intel Pentium 3 933mhz
256mbs RAM
400watt power supply (used to be 70watts)
128mb Radion 9200se (used to be 32mb intel built in)

and even with that the computer still pause I have used linux windows. Both pause.

I would recommend you try a different os(windows or linux) and let it run for a day and try it out after this time. If it still runs then it was the os. If it doesn't then hey hey hey get a new computer.

Linux would be the recommend test os because you can get it for free it isn't hard to burn it to a cd or install it to the hdd.
Arnie
70W PSU? lol
Xeniczone
it is a micro-atx motherboard in a case the same size of a xbox 360. I got is of gateway. it is a gateway essential 933.
{name here}
What background processes are running? The less background processes are, the better, especially in something as old as Windows 98.
kattymeowmeow
Yeah... you can run down to the store and pick up XP. I had this same problem and XP solved it. My machine is really old *cough cough* Pentium II *cough cough* and XP solved a LOT of problems.
Xeniczone
pentium 2's arn't obsolete they are still very good. Even though it has a slow speed it has more cache then most of todays celerons. (same as some of the older pentium 4s) penitum 3s only had speed there cache is 256kbs of cache. P2's have 512kbs cache. I still use a pentium 2 with windows xp and it runs halo pc just fine.
akshar
Mera Kya Hoga
I have 50 comps running win98 updating to win XP will be a tough task.
Xeniczone
Where do you guys get the idea windows 98 sucks.

If you have all the drivers and everything running windows 98 will out proform windows xp.

I have already tested this.

First computer:
Pentium 3 933mhz
256mbs ram
windows 98 (with all drivers working.)

Second computer
Pentium 4 2.2ghz
512mbs Ram
Windows XP (with all drivers working.)

The 1 computer accually booted up and shut down faster then the 2 computer. When running halo they did about the same. (the same with a 1ghz difference inbetween them.) I couldn't test the fps because fraps only works in a nt envirment.
Arnie
That can be correct. Windows 98 is just more sensitive to how you configurate it. One wrong configuration can degrade performance or even crash the system. Windows XP can be tweaked a lot, for example by disabling unnecessary services.
Xeniczone
Yes, but windows xp is mostly "automaticly" configured. Windows 98 I would say requires a little more profession, but It can be more efficent then windows xp.

The only issue relys is where it requires windows nt based kernal which is only found in Windows nt 2000 xp vista. It isn't in 98 so a lot of software is useless.