FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HDTV card

headlong
Does any one have experience using HDTV cards? Any suggestion is really appreciated!

I am planning to watch HDTV on my computer. If it works well, I will buy a DLP project. I really like to put a heavy and chuny TV set in my living room.
alkady
HDTV is Over the Air Tv, You get channels you just cannot get on Free on The Air TV. The quality is far superior and the best part; It's free.
MeddlingMonk
I'm also looking for a HDTV card for my PC. Currently, I've got a P4 3.2 GHz, with 512MB DDR2 RAM, a 250GB SATA II drive and a Creative Audigy Value sound card. I want to be able to capture HD & SD TV signals and record them to my hard disk. Any suggestions on what capture/tuner card to get?
orno
a pinnacle card should do you fine

i suggest more RAM before anything else...capturing/encoding, especially HDTV is extremely high-requirement stuff.... atleast 1GB if not 2 is what you need
MeddlingMonk
Thanks for the suggestion. I've already purchased an additional 512MB of RAM, so I'll now have 1GB. My local computer store suggests that this should be sufficient, given the CPU and hard disk.
psycosquirrel
They have HDTV tuners for the PC now?

Wow, this is news to me...

I would reccommend getting a large amount of HDD space, as saving the HDTV signal in a decent resolution will take an enormous amount of space.

Good call on getting another 512Mb of RAM. The CPU should be fine for your use.
johnsonap

I would reccommend getting a large amount of HDD space, as saving the HDTV signal in a decent resolution will take an enormous amount of space.

Are these available internatioanlly, or just in America, as this is still a new process in the UK, and i have yet to see these locally?
srujanlive
Yeah this is news to me. But where i live there are hardly any HDTV channels. Actually there are none. So i wont be needing it anyime soon.
johnsonap
johnsonap wrote:

Are these available internatioanlly, or just in America, as this is still a new process in the UK, and i have yet to see these locally?

Still no news on this hitting UK as yet? anyone else heard of this across the waters from America?
ganesh
First make sure you have a nice big monitor supporting something greater than the following resolutions:

1280 x 720 (for 720p HD video)

1920 x 1080 (for 1080p HD video)

Then, if you want to record these signals, make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM, if not more.

Last, but not the least, have a good program to record these signals using the proper codec, preferably mencoder using H.264 (nice open-source GPL implementations which won't cost you a dime), so that the file sizes are manageable.

Please let us know how your gig works once you have hooked it up! Have fun Smile
johnsonap
After all the anticipating of this i saw one advertised on ebuyer, and went forth.....bit of a con, as it suppoorts "future" HDTV, in other words if you have about £1000 worth of other kit to go with it, you may if your lucky get HDTV on your PC.....
Not exactly great at getting reception for channels either, think i may have to plug it into an actual roof arial to get any where near as much channels as it suggests
johnsonap
My roof ariel wasn't strong enough, so had to buy a booster, which i had to attach im my loft, which didnt have enough power to power its self, so had to also try and get a power suplly to my loft.....and so on, and so on.....
In the end i re-sold the HDTV card on e-bay, seemed like to much hassle.
rekluzz
I looked into buying an HDTV card, but they only make over the air cards at present. I'll wait until they make cards that I can connect my home HD cable to so that I can get all the HD tv channels in my area and not just a few over the air ones.
Salesman in the store was trying hard to sell me one and told me that I wouldn't need an antenna and that I would receive many channels. Luckily, I knew better. There are only about 3 channels that I could probably be able to pickup up over the air. I'd also need to look at rigging up an antenna with wires running everywhere.