FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

So Like... What are we gonna do with these Fribucks anyway?

LA Ridge
I am just really curious to see if there are any plans to use them somehow. This PHPBB forum site script allows for them to accumulate, we have even instituted the system at our forum, but still haven't really used them for anything. Some people have traded them for services at our site, but that is about it so far.

What is the plan over here? Just curious.
Vrythramax
I'm still wondering about what to do with my FRIH$. Aside from buying my avatar, I haven't found anything to spend them on...I'm hoping Frihost will come up with some ideas for them someday...till then I guess it's just money in the bank (sorta).

About the points script, I didn't know it was an available addon for phpBB, I just assumed Bondings had written something for these forums. Is the script publicly available?
carriage_return
I remember some forums where identical scrips were used to provide equally ficticious cash to use at leisure among a wide variety of time wasting entertainments and the like. Things like having your pet and taking care of it, or buying coins for some arcade games, where the action gamer could prove his worth among the population of the forum.

Of course there are always those free services that are provided to people with certain seniority at the forum. It is usually understood (I'm partially against looking at that in a mechanical manner, but that is not the point) that more points (or posts) = more involvement, so systems that let you trade your points for services like that avatar just serve to show appreciation for time spent with the community.

All in all, you could certainly do without them. But you can trust a lot of people will have a little fun with them if you start organizing things to spend them in.

carriage_return
Vrythramax
@carriage_return

I moderate in another forum that deals with software support and I might like to show the script to the Admin/Owner of the forum as a possible incentive for users to help out others. The points would of course have no real monetary value, but some kind of rewards structure could easily be worked out.

In your opinion would this be a good idea?
DarkGoku
I think that with them, you should be able to "buy" things like custom ranks and stuff.
Jeslyn
*shrug*
I don't know. They seem a little pointless to me.
But whatever floats your boat, I suppose.
adiutrix
You can donate them to friends! Trade them and collect them! Can you get them all? Razz

The possibilities with these points could be endless and very interesting. Eg. Collect 1000 points and win yourself like 5 more megs of space on your hosting account or something.

Just a thought Wink
alkady
Well you can always accumulate them, I am right now the 124th Richest Frihoster and I am hoping to one day be part of the Thousandnaire Club, A Club which only have 24 people so far.
Jeslyn
That's some goal you got there.
dz9c
adiutrix wrote:
You can donate them to friends! Trade them and collect them! Can you get them all? Razz

The possibilities with these points could be endless and very interesting. Eg. Collect 1000 points and win yourself like 5 more megs of space on your hosting account or something.

Just a thought Wink

very enthusiastic! i like the idea of adding space on ur account a lot Surprised has a moderator visited this topic yet?
Boles Roor
All your FRIH$'s are belong to n0obie. Smile
Garnet
I was on a forum that let you buy titles with the currency, as in status titles. You got a title that represents how many posts you've made, but once you top that list, or make enough money, you could get new titles that are better than the others. 'course, if you don't care about the title beside your name, it's somewhat useless.

^Dark Goku is that what you mean?

I'd like things to spend it on too though.
XeononyX
Vrythramax wrote:

About the points script, I didn't know it was an available addon for phpBB, I just assumed Bondings had written something for these forums. Is the script publicly available?

Visit the phpbb website, theres a mod called CASH MOD, that does similar things. The one used here certainly has a cron job associated with it which I believe is a Bondings special. The forum i run i use one for similar reasons and minimal results also. For fun I make it where you can for x pills(thats what i call them) you can make someone a troll for a month (give em a funny avatar and a wierd ranking), also they can buy their own custom layout for an uber amount of pills (noone has done it, but I'd be extremely happy to do it for someone who frequents my forum that much), its extremely good for doing favors (custom avs or sigs), also if you toss in a fribucks reward for the answer to a question it usually gets answered pretty quick.

Another thing i noticed is it is good if used in conjuction of a cronjob to display how active someone is. (like here)
Vrythramax
alkady wrote:
Well you can always accumulate them, I am right now the 124th Richest Frihoster and I am hoping to one day be part of the Thousandnaire Club, A Club which only have 24 people so far.

now there's a dubious distinction Smile

@XeononyX

Thank You, I'll check that out tonight.
[FuN]goku
With FRIH$ you can buy avatars,sigs, web templates, etc in the marketplace and points is just so you keep posting,,, if it falls below like 0 or summin then it sends u email saying like your posts are falling 5 points deducted and such..
LA Ridge
We have the dollars system turned on at our forum. We have used them for some things like services, but I am trying to find something creative. I know hard prizes would be best, but we are just getting by right now. Our dedicated server cost up the yang, you know.

The "Pills" thing is cute, the web templates and avatars are cool too, not so much for my crowd, they are a little older. We are opening up teens at Music Forte soon, that may be a hit there.

I mean this forum and some others, mine is pretty active, there would seem to be like some deal we can make with some company to sponsor stuff using these things for payola, or something creative. The forum at Music Forte is pretty steady now with traffic. It took awhile, I instituted the dollar thing and I used to pay people personally for great posts, donate to them 5 bucks or so. That seemed pretty good and I have backed off of that a bit because I am still wrestling with better things to offer.

I think if FriHost and all of the busier forums could get together on it maybe we can get a sponsor or two to drop some merch and whoever gets $1000.00 first wins, or ? Something... A contest between forums, raise the stakes a bit in friendly competition. Or do some crazy crap like that new show does, trying to get people to donate their bucks to you, or... Something.
LA Ridge
Vrythramax wrote:
I'm still wondering about what to do with my FRIH$. Aside from buying my avatar, I haven't found anything to spend them on...I'm hoping Frihost will come up with some ideas for them someday...till then I guess it's just money in the bank (sorta).

On this here, truthfully I don't really know. I don't run admin I handle advertising and artist development, plus other personal relations matters. We had the standard PHPBB script and I told my admin that I am a member over here and they use the point/dollar system. He said he could turn it on and the next day it was on. So I honestly have no idea. I know he has a buttload of scripts collected. From where one could only guess... lol
XeononyX
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=94055

here's where the cash mod is located ... if you notice it is so popular they have it stickied ... im pretty sure frihost uses a similar mod with an additional cron job and a couple other frihost bells and whistles.

about the global contest: im pretty sure that wont work because the system can easily be corrupted and everyone will have to follow the same rules which means verification would be a b**ch.
LA Ridge
I'm not sure what you mean. If the Mods verify the number then how would they be corrupted? Are you talking from individual forum operators on the take? Something like that? (Gee, like that would never happen... lol)
n0obie4life
The point resetting (to 45 or minus one), is a custom script by Bondings.

There is no way we will give the source code out.

Otherwise, the cash system is used and of course, the link is already put above.

Bondings is planning a shop system for frihost, where you can use the FriBucks ( FRIH$ ) to buy addons such as more bandwidth and etc.
Vrythramax
n0obie4life wrote:
The point resetting (to 45 or minus one), is a custom script by Bondings.

There is no way we will give the source code out.

Otherwise, the cash system is used and of course, the link is already put above.

Bondings is planning a shop system for frihost, where you can use the FriBucks ( FRIH$ ) to buy addons such as more bandwidth and etc.

I was only looking for the cash/points system n0obie, Bondings' script for culling points wouldn't really fit in with what I had in mind. Smile
snowboardalliance
Yeah, if there was something to do with Frih$, like getting them as rewards and some kind of competition, that would be interesting.
xoxmeholly
I've been to forums where with the points you could buy colored/glowing/bold/italic names and things like that. I think that's a pretty neat idea. Is there ANYTHING here we can do with them?
Soulfire
Just browse the marketplace board, you're sure to find something to suit you there. Last I heard, Frihost was planning on offering services to your webhosting for Frih$.
Michael B
Please donate all Frih$ by pressing the donate button to the left :lol:

Well to be more serious I read http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-10013.html that you will in the future be able to buy more web spance etc.

Quote:
Q. I WANT MORE BANDWIDTH! I WANT MORE SPACE!
A. Sure. Wait for Bondings to come up with this "great" shop system, which then you will be able to buy B/W and Space with FRIH$. An UN-recommended way to rush him is to spam him with PMs. Don't try and ask him to use any shop system in phpBB (that is made as a mod).. he just WON'T use it.

Sounds great, I might even be able to buy my own domain name. :D
So as I said first line donet all Frih$ to me then I will be able to buy the most stuff.

Michael
LA Ridge
I would be TOTALLY into using these here to buy more bandwidth! I am just starting to build my site now, hopefully I can increase traffic enough to need more.

I wouldn't even mind paying CASH, as long as I don't have to move my site. I don't really want to, but if I get enough traffic I will have no choices to stay here even if I wanted to.

So I think the bandwidth purchasing, either with money or Fri Bucks, would be a good thing.