FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My 40GB NTFS formatted portable HD not detected in WinXP!!!

koolbluez
I recently bought those assembled 40GB portable HD, which is NTFS formatted.

It works on some machines but on my machine, it is not getting detected... not on my Win XP, not on Win 98.

I do know that there is no possibility to directly access an NTFS disk in '98... but why not in WinXP.

What could be the reason? There is lots of data on that HD & I need to retain it on my computer, but my XP just doesn't detect it!!!

Can anyone throw light on this problem?
seanooi
Try this:

Right click on My Computer > Manage

On the left menu, expand "Storage" if not expanded > Disk Management

If you see your hard disk there, then just activate it from there.
If not, I would suggest that you bring it back to where you bought it from and ask for a new one or a refund. Wink
koolbluez
another thing to add... my system is FAT32.... even WinXP
so is that causing this prob... my portable drive ntfs...

but i thought winXP can detect an NTFS drive even if installed on a fat32 partition
AftershockVibe
If it's portable, check that you have Service Pack 2 (or is it one?) installed. Native winXP doesn't have USB2.0 support which may cause problems as well.
Bones
koolbluez wrote:
another thing to add... my system is FAT32.... even WinXP
so is that causing this prob... my portable drive ntfs...

but i thought winXP can detect an NTFS drive even if installed on a fat32 partition

WinXP can read NTFS no matter what the system drive is formatted in.
You should follow the steps above to check disk management to see if the drive is listed there. Also, check device manager to see if you list any 'other devices' or 'unknown devices' Some motherboards need their own USB 2.0 drivers and will not work with the native Windows usb 2.0 drivers (like my MSI mobo)

To make sure that USB 2.0 drivers are installed, expand the category 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' in device manager, and you should see at least one 'enhanced' controller listed there. Although, even if they are installed, it wouldn't hurt to check the web site for your pc and/or motherboard to see if there are updated USB 2.0 drivers for your system, and install them if they are there.

Sounds like a probable hardware problem though since the drive is not being detected on 2 pc's. Even though Win 98 cannot read NTFS, it should still pick up the drive and list it as unknown drive or partition type in disk management.

edit: also, have you tried using a different USB port?
technology.sponge
make sure ur not connecting it through a hub or extending the usb cable beyond 5 m (4.5 to b safe)

usb 2.0 drivers installed?
sp2 installed?
r u connecting th hdd through a usb 1.1?
does the hdd work at all?
powerslave
Install Partition Magic 8 and re-format the partition and give a drive letter.
Bones
powerslave wrote:
Install Partition Magic 8 and re-format the partition and give a drive letter.

Why would you need partition magic to reformat a partition?? Just use disk management, which is built into the OS. Besides, I would never use PM..I've seen it toast too many NTFS partitions when re-sizing them.
SoftStag
98 will not be able to read a NTFS partition. You may also need drivers to get it to be recognised by Windows 98. I have drivers on my website that should do the trick (will need to format with FAT32 though for 98 compatability.
Windows 98 USB Drivers
Bones
But he is using XP
mages4life
He also stated it would not work on his WinXP OR WIN98 machine. It bugs me when ppl dnt read the whole topic. I had the same problem with a friend's WinNT machine. My USB1.1 Drive would work fine on my machine (WinXP) and on my Win2K machine but not even reconized on his WinNT machine. He was also having performance issues. He finally reinstalled WinNT and did all the updates (ugg windows updates) and now it works fine. It may just be another case of windows eating itself.
orno
before you go about formatting or returning the disk, which version of XP are u using?

windows XP home does not have support for dynamic external disks... a problem i faced with my 250GB external disk...

if u have win xp pro, follow the instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308424&sd=tech

to quote from Paul Thurrott's Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition: What's the difference? page:

Quote:
Dynamic Disk Support - Windows XP Professional (like its Windows 2000 equivalent) supports dynamic disks, but Home Edition does not (instead, HE supports only the standard Simple Disk type). Dynamic disks are not usable with any OS other than Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro, and they cannot be used on portable computers. Likewise, Home Edition does not include the Logical Disk Manager.

Animal wrote:
When quoting sources, please use the quote tags properly as required in the Frihost Forum Rules. Adding quote marks (" ... ") is not sufficient. I've edited this thread for you, but please quote properly in future.