FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Immigrant March

Should current illegal immigrants be left alone?
Yes
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
Depends
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

thpn
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Thousands of immigrants formed a line stretching more than a mile long Saturday as they marched across the Brooklyn Bridge, waving flags from more than a dozen countries as they demonstrated against possible immigration reform in Congress.

The marchers, most of them hailing from Latin American countries, gathered in downtown Brooklyn on a warm spring day for the walk across the East River.

The march ended outside the federal office building in lower Manhattan.

"We came to say that we're here," said George Criollo, who arrived in New York a decade ago from Cuenca, Ecuador. "We have to speak, legal or illegal. We have to speak about this issue."

Criollo, who said his family was in the United States illegally, feared that legislation could lead to his deportation or jailing.

In the House, legislation already has passed that would set penalties for anyone who knowingly assists or encourages illegal immigrants to remain in the country.

The marchers were accompanied by brass bands, ceremonial drums and tooting horns. "If you hurt immigrants you are hurting America," read a sign held by one marcher.

Another marcher, who spoke no English, carried a sign reading, "I cleaned up ground zero."

I believe that all immigrants that have come from another country without being given permission should be sent back to their home country. Other immigrants have been trying to get into the country and worked hard to but can't because of the problem of illegals that keep pouring into the country.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/01/immigration.rallies.ap/index.html
diverden
Currently we have 11-20 million illegal immigrants in the US. We educate their children, give them health care and pay them many times the working wage from the own countries. They do not pay income taxes or many other taxes other than sales taxes. They often send a majority of their money home to help their family or to help their family to come here illegally also. That said, no one questions that they are coming here for a better life than they will ever have in their home country. The answer is not to make new laws, it is to enforce the laws that exist and make meaningful fines against employers who take advantage of them ( who are illegal immigrants going to tell, they can't call the police without the INS finding out!)
The bigger answer is to change their home countries so that there is a middle class and wealth is re-distributed from the few "haves" to the many "Have-nots". This is not realistic, since the "haves" have the money and the power so they are not inclined to change the current status. As long as we are a homing beacon for a better life, then people will go over, under, around or thru any fences we put up. As a side note, over 50% of students who are illegal immigrants drop out. I thought it was interesting that HS students have been marching during the school day and if 50% of them are going to drop out then perhaps they should have stayed in school learning about the Constitution that gives them to right to free assembly!
thpn
diverden wrote:
Currently we have 11-20 million illegal immigrants in the US. We educate their children, give them health care and pay them many times the working wage from the own countries. They do not pay income taxes or many other taxes other than sales taxes. They often send a majority of their money home to help their family or to help their family to come here illegally also. That said, no one questions that they are coming here for a better life than they will ever have in their home country. The answer is not to make new laws, it is to enforce the laws that exist and make meaningful fines against employers who take advantage of them ( who are illegal immigrants going to tell, they can't call the police without the INS finding out!)
The bigger answer is to change their home countries so that there is a middle class and wealth is re-distributed from the few "haves" to the many "Have-nots". This is not realistic, since the "haves" have the money and the power so they are not inclined to change the current status. As long as we are a homing beacon for a better life, then people will go over, under, around or thru any fences we put up. As a side note, over 50% of students who are illegal immigrants drop out. I thought it was interesting that HS students have been marching during the school day and if 50% of them are going to drop out then perhaps they should have stayed in school learning about the Constitution that gives them to right to free assembly!

You should be a politician. That was a really good reply and if you didn't recieve at least three points for it then no one should.
Vrythramax
I believe everyone has the right to a better quality of life, and if that's in the US then they should be welcomed here...but I believe they should go about it legally. Illegal aliens/immigrants take needed resources away from citizens who need them in the form of lost jobs, wages, taxes, and a host of other items. They are also responsible for lowering the expectations of employers who [now] feel they don't have to pay a legal citizen to do a job for $xx.xx an hour when they can get an illegal to do the same job for $x.xx an hour.

I have heard (I have no stats for this figure) that an estimated 30,000 people cross the border from Mexico a week (for those of you playing the home game, that's approx. 360,000 yearly!), and that's just from Mexico. I haven't a clue how many of them get caught and sent back, but obviously a significant number make it or they wouldn't keep trying at such a rate.

I agree new laws are not the answer, but enforcement of the old laws seems near impossible with the current budget cuts (The war is killing us in more ways than one), and the total area needed to be patroled. Clearly more Border Patrol Staff is needed and true enforcement of the current laws is in order.

Mad I'll shut up now.
Soulfire
Why not do it legally? They are complaining about us "weeding out" the illegal immigrants, but we wouldn't have to do that if they would just do it the right way. No wonder why the U.S. and Mexico have poor relations.
710ths
The case is quite clear as far as I am concerned illegal immigrants are what they say, illegal and have no right to be in the US or in my country, UK or indeed any country if that is against the law.

If it is a case for a better life then they should strive for that in their own country or if they can't then apply for immigration in a legal way.

The law is there to protect us from terroists and from diluting our standard of living in having to support such people.

I can not believe that such people think they can get away with marching against new laws when they have no right to be there in the first place. Why were they no arrested and deported?
maclui
There are not ilegal Human Beings nor ilegal immigrants since the reason they are there is beacause of the demand they have. Most of this phenomenon is caused by the offer and demand law. They are not taking the jobs of US citizens, that is a big lie. They are not avoiding taxes. They DO pay taxes, and do not receive much benefit from it since they do not have a social security number that would allowed them in the future a secure retirement.
They go to work over there and if they do not find a job they return to their homelands, which of couse does not happen often since I repeat, there is demand for their services.
Do not get confused by the xenophobic voices, they are living as 80 years ago. Fighting against what is inevitable will only hurt both sides.
Jeslyn
In my opinion, the current illegal immigrants living here; should be given amnesty if they come clean, and choose to rego the process of legal immigration.
ocalhoun
Please tell me the way that march ended was that they made them all stand in a line and show their green cards...
An illigal immigrant, by definition is a criminal.
cbf-cma
Quote:
I believe that all immigrants that have come from another country without being given permission should be sent back to their home country. Other immigrants have been trying to get into the country and worked hard to but can't because of the problem of illegals that keep pouring into the country.

In general, current immigrants aren't worried about illegal immigration. A lot of the illegal immigrants are related to current immigrants. Why would they advocate deporting their family? Maybe you are just focusing on white immigrants, which is a small amount.
Vrythramax
Illeagal is the key phrase here...if they want to come to this country it is thier right to do so....but do it LAGALLY.
Soulfire
I agree. All current illegal immigrants should be given amnesty if they come forward, and allowed to become a legal citizen.

What happens after that, well... that is up to Congress to decide.
thpn
cbf-cma wrote:
Quote:

In general, current immigrants aren't worried about illegal immigration. A lot of the illegal immigrants are related to current immigrants. Why would they advocate deporting their family? Maybe you are just focusing on white immigrants, which is a small amount.

No, not just white immagrints. I mean all of them. Even if they are related, when an illegal immagrint comes into America the majority of people want him/her out. If more and more come in, the people, being ignorant to thinking out, decide that it is easier to send all immagrints back. This stops people who are willing to become citizens from entering.
Vrythramax
Whoe is taliking about WHITE imeggarnts???? (sp.??) The poinst is ILLEGAK IMMAGRANTS!

If those people who wish to immagrate to the aUS, then they should be allowed so. The majojority point being that these people are not following the laws of our nation...AND ARE HURTING US AS A RESULT!

If you think illegal immagration is harmless....you are sadly mistaken (Idon't care if I get flamed)

I'm not saying people should not immigrate,they have the right to do so....just do it legally.
cbf-cma
Damn, there goes my leaf-blowing job that I so desperately wanted! I don't care!!! I think illegal immigrants shouldn't be punished for being poor. Illegal immigrants AREN'T machines sent to destroy our country!They are people with families like YOU that need a job. The US can't bone this hemisphere for long -- no matter how high of a fence you put on the border. Just look at the size of the marches - in the same respect they couldn't stop the civil rights movement with harsher laws or small appeasements. It's ok if you don't want to face reality now because like the past bigots that opposed any rights movement, your going to be part of the shameful past that even future conservatives in America will say "At least I'm not as ****** crazy as that dumb guy".
maclui
Quote:
your going to be part of the shameful past that even future conservatives in America will say "At least I'm not as **** crazy as that dumb guy".

There is no future for this issue, this situation refreshes every day, so it is not a problem that can be overcome an left in the past.
That is why it is so complex. You need inmigrants but how many?? Perhaps we can start from there.
cbf-cma
Quote:
There is no future for this issue, this situation refreshes every day, so it is not a problem that can be overcome an left in the past.

What are you talking about? If this "refreshes itself ever day" then it is a problem of the future. Maybe not the immediate future, but as long as there is a huge disparity of wealth between two neighboring countries, there will be a constant population of illegal immigrants that are becoming more organized and vocal every day. This is a democracy and everyone deserves fair treatment without being labeled as illegal. Can this issue be resolved? Well, like I said before, the US can't keep "boning" this hemisphere forever.
odinstag
thpn wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/01/immigration.rallies.ap/index.html

Abso-freakin-lutely!!!!

Get out!

Stay Out!

If you come back you will be shot back over the border from a cannon!

Happy Landings!

They gave up this land when they signed the treaty that gave the land to the USA. They are no longer indiginous as they like to call themselves. They are criminal invaders with their minds on revolution/civil war to take back the southwest.

Their leaders in US government have admitted it. One even proudly preaches that he works hard for affirmative action, because when they take over, White people are going to need it.

One even went so far as to say they have the people to do it. That they need to get organised so they can do it.

WTF?

When a force at least 3 million strong, come into a country uninvited.

When they march in the streets to overthrow our rights and laws.

When they do so under a foreign flag.

Why do we just sit here and take it?

Have we lost our will to live?

With the rhetoric I have been hearing. I am truely afraid for the future of my children. Look through history and see what happens when people start doing this. They are a lynch mob and they are coming after White America. Their leaders proudly proclaim it.