FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Joomla! - Installation Tutorial

heady233
How to Install Joomla!

1. Go to the Joomla! download website.
    2. Download the Joomla_****-Stable-Full_Package
    3. After downloading, unzip/untar the package
    4. Login to your FTP
    5. Upload the Joomla! Files, I assume you have uploaded to a folder called "joomla", you can upload to another directory if you wish.
    6. While you are uploading Joomla, we shall create a mySQL Database.
    If you use cPanel, please go to step 7a.
    If you use Directadmin, please go to step 8a

CPANEL USERS
    7a. Login to cPanel.
    7b. Go to MySQL Databases.
    7c. Go to a field named "Db:".
    We will call the database "joomla", you can change it if you wish to.
    Then hit "Add Db". You have successfully made your SQL Database .
    7d. Go to the fields named "UserName:" and "Password:". We will call the username "cms" and password "password", you can change them if you wish to.
    Then hit "Add User". You have successfully made your SQL User .
    7e. Go to the two dropdown lists named "User:" and "Db:".
    Under user, select the user you made, in this case, we will select "cms".
    Under db, select the database you made, in this case, we will select "joomla".
    Make sure under "Privileges:", the checkbox beside "ALL" is checked.
    Then hit "Add user to DB". You have successfully made a working SQL Database .

DIRECTADMIN USERS
    8a. Login to Directadmin.
    8b. Go to mySQL Databases.
    8c. Select "Create New Database"
    8d. You will see the following fields "Database Name", "Database Username", "Username Password", "Confirm Password".
    Under Database Name, type in "joomla", you can change it if you wish to.
    Under Database Username, type in "cms", you can change it if you wish to.
    Under Username Password and Confirm Password, type in "password", , you can change it if you wish to.
    Hit create.
    8e. A page showing the Database and user you have just created will show up.

9. Now, I assume you have finished uploading phpBB.
    10. CHMOD/Set the permissions of) configuration.php-dist to 777 using your FTP Client.
    11. Go to http://domain/joomla
    A Joomla! Installation page will show up. Fill in the details accordingly. ("Host Name" should be "localhost")
    12.Once you get the install process done it will tell you some code to enter into configuration.php, first rename .configuration.php-dist to configuration.php, then enter the code the install page gave you and save it.
    12. CHMOD configuration.php to 644.
    YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED JOOMLA!
arch23
thanks for the nich and short guide.
cheeta
Hi...

a porblem... i have done stapes... follwed this guide...

now in the last stape i get the confermation that Joomla succesfully installed... now i delete the installtion directory as suggested at the end...

Here the problem starts... both the View Site and Administration button doesnt work... when ever i hit them... browser redirects to /installtion/install.php which is offcourse not there so the error messeger page not found...

what can i do??
bluffmango
that was nice tutorial there...it help alot
oskuro
Quote:
5. Upload the Joomla! Files, I assume you have uploaded to a folder called "Joomla", you can upload to another directory if you wish.

But where do we have to uplod those files??

I enter my ftp in frihost, and i find just entering these folders:

domains
imap
mail
public_html
.bash_logout
.bash_profile
.bashrc
.shadow

Do i have to upload it to...:

/domains/MYSITE/public_html/

folder???Thx
ryanh2006
Hi heady233 thanks so much for such a great tutorial. I really can not wait to try it out. I have not had my site for long but I am already hard at work experimenting with it and seeing what works and what does not. I have already installed WordPress, PHBB... and I am gearing up to deciding what I want and need. I just checked out Joomla today and I was blown away! It looks so cool and now I have this fab tutorial to help me. So thanks again and c u around. Bye. Very Happy
heady233
oskuro wrote:
Quote:
5. Upload the Joomla! Files, I assume you have uploaded to a folder called "Joomla", you can upload to another directory if you wish.

But where do we have to uplod those files??

I enter my ftp in frihost, and i find just entering these folders:

domains
imap
mail
public_html
.bash_logout
.bash_profile
.bashrc
.shadow

Do i have to upload it to...:

/domains/MYSITE/public_html/

folder???Thx
Yes, that's where.
oskuro
Im done with joomla, i dont like it. I prefer postnuke, and i will use it better than this, good luck Wink
Scorpio
oskuro wrote:
Im done with joomla, i dont like it. I prefer postnuke, and i will use it better than this, good luck Wink

I dont think I go well with CMS at all.

Doing a site personally with all the coding and designs and features is the best way to give a way to give a human touch to the site
burzum
i was thinkin about trying it for a long time now with this tutorial i will do it, thx a bunch!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
cheh
heady233 wrote:
Once you get the install process done it will tell you some code to enter into configuration.php, first rename .configuration.php-dist to configuration.php, then enter the code the install page gave you and save it.

wow thanx alot man! i've tried so many guies but always had problems with the configuration file. you made this step exclusively for frihost i persume?
because it doesn't say anything why the configuration file could be "Unwritteable".

Oh, and btw, I used that guide to install Mambo, so it works for that aswell! Very Happy
Ichilla
Thx for the Tutorial
Good and Short!! Very Happy
yaashop
thx a lot for your tutorial. it make me done with joomla installation in notime. ^^ it's working fine now just need to add contents. great job man.
redwulfe
Thank you for the tutorial it was a great help.

A couple of things for everyone else though. If you want your site to come up when you just type the address and not your address/joomla, then you have to move all of the joomla file out of the joomla folder and into the public-html folder. when you do this you will need to go into the config file and change all of the paths accordingly. I think their are only 4. You then also have to remove the index.html and logo.jpg files. then when you type in your address it will take you strat into joomla.

A good note about keeping the index.html file is that if you mod it to say "comming soon" then people who visit your site will only see the coming soon instead of the joomla site.

Well thanks, again it was a great help
tim
elyah_ariel
heady233 wrote:
How to Install Joomla!

2. Download the Joomla_1.0.8-Stable-Full_Package (See screenshot below)

4. Login to your FTP

CPANEL USERS
    7a. Login to cPanel.
    7d. Go to the fields named "UserName:" and "Password:". We will call the username "cms" and password "password", you can change them if you wish to.

DIRECTADMIN USERS
    8d. You will see the following fields "Database Name", "Database Username", "Username Password", "Confirm Password".
    Under Username Password and Confirm Password, type in "password", , you can change it if you wish to.
    Hit create.

10. CHMOD/Set the permissions of) configuration.php-dist to 777 using your FTP Client.
    A Joomla! Installation page will show up. Fill in the details accordingly. Once you get the install process done it will tell you some code to enter into configuration.php, first rename .configuration.php-dist to configuration.php, then enter the code the install page gave you and save it.

Thank you for this tutorial. I installed joomla 1.0.10 for my website but I don't know how to use it to change the numerous features... because I'm new to CMS. If anyone can advice me about a very simple software to begin with dynamic website, I'll be very pleased to receive all informations.
nuxalk
heady233 wrote:
How to Install Joomla!

2. Download the Joomla_1.0.8-Stable-Full_Package (See screenshot below)

4. Login to your FTP

CPANEL USERS
    7a. Login to cPanel.

DIRECTADMIN USERS
    Hit create.

A Joomla! Installation page will show up. Fill in the details accordingly. Once you get the install process done it will tell you some code to enter into configuration.php, first rename .configuration.php-dist to configuration.php, then enter the code the install page gave you and save it.

I've found a few tutorials in installing Joomla. Here they are for your interest:

http://scriptslibrary.doteasy.com/index.php?itemid=8

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Joomla

Is there any other information that maybe other people have?

Charles...
heridlia
It's fine. Simple.

Thanks a lot.
Durdane
Hi, perhaps you can help me.

I have successfully uploaded and installed Joomla. When I type in the website name in my browser then i get this message:
'To change this page, upload your website into the public_html directory.'
When I type in my my websitename followed by '/index.php it just get my joomla website.

I have tried to rename the index.html once so that it could be found but then I got the error that the website isn't found.

What I want is that people just get my website when the type in the websitename, without specifying that it has to start in the /index.php file.

Am i doing something wrong?

I hope somebody can help me with this.

-Durdane-
Animal
Durdane wrote:
I have tried to rename the index.html once so that it could be found but then I got the error that the website isn't found.

What I want is that people just get my website when the type in the websitename, without specifying that it has to start in the /index.php file.

Delete the existing index.html from your account. Once you have done this, "index.php" will become the new default start page.
friuser
is there any updated instructions for installing joomla 1.0.12?

I think the new security changes made the direcotry and file permission check to be all unwritable but that's no problem can chmod 777 for those folders.

However what about the session save path? shows unwritable and the configuration.php as well.

Nevermind. I installed it fine so far with those two error messages.
sonnytheman
Does anyone know if there are any other steps you need to do for Joomla 1.0.12? I did all the steps in the first post, but it isnt working, Im guessing its because the /tmp folder is unwriteable, but I dont know how to change it. Does anyone know how to? I cant find it in DirectAdmin nor through FileZilla
teknotom
Still muchly confused...

I'll just install Mambo...
mahirharoon
cheeta wrote:
Hi...

a porblem... i have done stapes... follwed this guide...

now in the last stape i get the confermation that Joomla succesfully installed... now i delete the installtion directory as suggested at the end...

Here the problem starts... both the View Site and Administration button doesnt work... when ever i hit them... browser redirects to /installation/install.php which is offcourse not there so the error messeger page not found...

what can i do??

delete installation directory
Code:
/installation/
geugeu
Hi,

I have installed Joomla 1.5.1 on Frihost. All works well, but the new regitered doesnot recieve the confirmation mail.

Can you help me to configurate the mail, in Joomla.

Thank you
techscholar
Thanks heaps for this great outline on the installation process of Joomla on Frihost.

I have some feedback, hoping that it will be useful to other people who have little to no knowledge of Joomla and web hosting.

I followed the procedure and found:
Step 1 - The link to download the software is invalid. I guess links get updated and therefore are outdated very quickly these days
Step 5 & Step 11 - This one is most likely a trap for non-linux (or non-unix) people. In step 5 you assume a directory name of "Joomla" and in step 11 you have a lower case word "http://domain/joomla").

But seriously - thank you. Without this post I believe it would have taken me considerably longer to get my installation going.

Hope this information helps the next person :-)

Kind regards
hearurscream
Thanks for the installation instructions!
dharmin
is the process same for joomla 2.5?
skaprit
Followed instructions for Direct Admin, however, I get the 404 page not found error.
I copied to a folder called Joomla, not the public_html.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks

I copied all the files from /joomla to /public_html, then, lo and behold, the installation page came up!
zimmer
dharmin wrote:
is the process same for joomla 2.5?

There are many ways of installing a Joomla. For those who need special help. I can offer my help for you.

Just PM me.. I hope i not busy when you contact me. Very Happy